The Department of Paediatrics at Narayana Health has made an outstanding contribution in the field of Paediatric health care across the globe. The centre is renowned for excellence in the diagnostics and management of diseases in children from neonates to adolescents in a child-friendly environment.
Our expertise in Paediatric Cardiology and Paediatric Cardio Surgery has enabled us to become a world-class referral centre. Our Hospitals are among the best children’s hospital in India. The paediatrics department at NH offers treatment in specialities —
- Infectious Diseases
- Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Paediatric Surgery
- Paediatric Neurosurgery
- Organ Transplantation
- Bone Marrow Transplant
Some of the conditions that the paediatric surgeons at Narayana Health treat include:
- Appendicitis: The infected or inflamed appendix is removed through minimally invasive surgery and laparoscopy.
- Cancer: The expert paediatric surgeons conduct surgical procedures for cancers, such as hepatoblastoma, neuroblastoma, Wilms’ tumour, etc.
- Biliary atresia: This condition is diagnosed through an ultrasound, liver biopsy and nuclear medicine. Surgery is then performed to reconstruct the bile ducts and reattach them to the liver.
- Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation: This is a congenital condition that results in abnormal development of the lung. During pregnancy, expecting mothers are closely observed, and the abnormal lung tissue is removed after birth.
- Gallbladder problems: Traditional or minimally invasive surgery may be followed to treat infections in the gallbladder.
- Tracheoesophageal fistula and Oesophageal atresia: In these conditions, the trachea and oesophagus are not formed correctly during the developmental stages of the baby. It is treated by closing the fistula and reconnecting the tubes to the organs after the baby’s birth.
- Gastroesophageal reflux: It is a condition in which the food and digestive juices travel up the oesophagus. To treat this, the area at the end of the oesophagus is tightened, enabling the food to travel into the stomach but not back up the oesophagus.
- Hirschsprung’s disease: This condition blocks a child’s ability to have a bowel movement. For treatment, the part of the colon that has enlarged is removed surgically to facilitate bowel movement.
- Spleen disorders: Problems with spleen can be the result of injury or blood disorders. Splenectomy may be performed to remove the spleen only if it is medically necessary.
The Child Guidance Clinic, where children below the age of 16 years with neurological and psychological problems are provided specialized treatment by a multidisciplinary team consisting of neurologists, psychiatrists and psychologists. The child speciality clinic also provides training and guidance to caretakers.
- Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care unit for high-risk new-borns
- One of the Largest dedicated Paediatric Liver and Renal Transplant programme in India.
- One of the Largest Dedicated Paediatric Intensive Care Units (PICU).
- One of the Largest specialised Paediatric units for heart ailments in India.
- One of the Largest Paediatric Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplant programme in India.
Paediatrics consists of various sub-specialities like:
- Paediatric cardiology
- Critical medicine
- Neonatal medicine
- How much can I feed my newborn?
- How do I know that my baby is getting enough Vitamin D?
- If they can recommend a lactation consultant
- How to ensure that the baby is sleeping safely?
- Does my newborn have normal sleeping patterns?
- How to make the vaccine shots easier on the baby?
- How to care for the baby’s umbilical cord?
- The pros and cons of circumcision
- How should you bathe the baby?
- Neck and collarbone check- Checking if there are any fractures or injuries, this is more for infants and newborns.
- Head check- The doctor checks the growth of the head and ensures that the skull is developing at a normal rate
- Hip check- The doctor looks for any irregularities by rolling the hips. This allows them to identify if there is any hip displacement or malformation. If it’s caught early, it can be fixed.
- Reflex check- The doctor startles the baby, to check their involuntary responses and to see if they are developing normally.