Narayana Health provides state-of-the-art care for all facets and stages of eye conditions. We use the latest techniques and therapies to administer routine eye examinations.
Ophthalmology is the branch of medicine that deals with the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the eye. An ophthalmologistis a specialist in medical and surgical eye problems. Ophthalmology includes sub-specialities which deal either with certain diseases or diseases of certain parts of the eye.
Some of them are:
- Anterior Segment Surgery
- Retinal Ophthalmology - emphasis on LASER treatment of the retina and actual retinal surgery
- Cataracts - not usually considered a subspecialty per se, since most general ophthalmologists perform cataract surgery
- Cornea, Ocular Surface and External Disease
- Medical Retina deals with treatment of retinal problems through non-surgical means
- Ocular Oncology
- Oculoplastics & Orbit Surgery
- Ophthalmic Pathology
- Pediatric Ophthalmology/Strabismus (mis-alignment of the eyes)
- Refractive Surgery
- Vitreo-retinal Surgery deals with surgical management of retinal and posterior segment diseases and disorders
- Medical Retina and Vitreo-retinal Surgery sometimes together called posterior segment subspecialisation.
Post-Operative Eye Care
Though the eye operations carried out usually proceed without complications, follow-up care and treatment are an important aspect of our recovery process.
Medical supervision is necessary after an eye operation. The patient must spend the first few hours after the operation under medical supervision so that any complications that may arise can be prevented. They should also be examined at regular intervals by an eye doctor.
Laser eye operations affect the fine corneal nerves of the eyes. As a result, the cornea becomes less sensitive to the environment. Applying eye drops will lubricate the eye and offer support to the healing process.
Post-Cataract Operation Treatment
During the surgical treatment of cataract, the clouded lens is removed and replaced with an artificial one without affecting the external half of the lens, the capsular bag. In some cases, natural cell growth may cause clouding of the posterior part of the capsular bag leading to a secondary cataract. It is painless, harmless and can be removed with a special laser treatment. However, the patient needs to follow certain rules of behaviour after the eye operation for faster recovery of the sight.
· Avoid driving in the first twenty-four hours of the operation.
· Do not involve in excessive physical exertion for the first few days.
· Remember to not rub or press on the eye.
· Do not miss medical follow-up appointments.
· Take the prescribed medicines according to instructions.
· Ensure that the eyes don’t come in contact with soap, water or shampoo during your daily hygiene routine.
· Avoid using any additional eyewear.
· Use an eye shield when you sleep.
Optometrists specialize in vision care. They offer services such as,
- Vision tests and eye examinations
- Detect diseases or disorders concerning the eye
- Prescribe eyeglasses and contact lenses if need be.
Ophthalmologists offer eye care services including medical and surgical services if need be. Some of their services include
- Surgical treatment for conditions such as glaucoma and cataracts
- Plastic surgery to smooth out wrinkles or raise droopy eyelids etc.
Refractive errors are caused when the cornea is not shaped perfectly and can cause a blurred vision. To correct refractive errors there are different types of surgeries that can be performed including;
- Radial keratotomy
- Laser thermal keratoplasty
- Intracorneal ring
- Conductive keratoplasty
- Photorefractive keratectomy
- Astigmatic keratotomy
- Automated lamellar keratoplasty
You can visit an ophthalmologist for a regular checkup and for eye conditions like cataract or glaucoma or for other conditions that can occur due to diabetes. Compared to an optometrist, an ophthalmologist holds more advanced medical training.
Glaucoma is a set of eye disorders that can harm the optic nerves which are crucial for a healthy vision. Treatment for glaucoma includes;
- Eye drops: This helps to lower eye pressure. Depending on the severity of your condition and how low the eye pressure has to be, the eyedrop will be prescribed.
- Laser therapy
- Filtering surgery
- Minimally invasive glaucoma surgery
Some of the most common problems concerning the eyes include;
- Red eyes
- Night blindness
- Excess tearing
- Dry eyes