he ENT department at Narayana Health caters to ailments associated with ear, nose and throat and offers a full range of ENT services with a very high standard of care.
The ENT Operation theatres have all the necessary equipment for Advanced ENT treatments such as - operating microscopes, endoscopes, carbon dioxide laser, etc. along with facilities for TV monitoring and video recording of surgical procedures.
Diagnosis and patient care
ENT specialists are trained in both medicine and surgery. So, they can diagnose, treat and deliver the appropriate care for every patient suffering from the disorders of the ear, nose and throat. The following are their areas of expertise.
- Paediatric otolaryngology: ENT diseases in children, including congenital disabilities in the head and neck and developmental delays. Examples- otitis media, airway problems, asthma, Down’s syndrome, tonsil and adenoid infection, and sinus disease.
- Head and neck: Your ENT specialist should be able to diagnose cancerous and noncancerous tumours in the head and neck, including thyroid and parathyroid. Examples – cancer of the voice box and lump in the neck or thyroid.
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery of the face: ENT surgeons can perform functional, cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries to treat any abnormalities of the face and neck. Examples – rhinoplasty, cleft palate, hair loss, facelift, deviated septum, drooping eyelids.
- Rhinology: Diseases affecting the nose and sinuses. Examples – stuffy nose, bleeding from the nose, loss of smell and sinus disorder.
- Laryngology: throat disorders, voice and swallowing problems. Examples – gastroesophageal reflux disease, swallowing disorder, sore throat, hoarseness.
- Allergy: immunotherapy, medication and other sensitivities that affect the ear, nose and throat. Examples – chronic sinusitis, sore throat, dizziness, hay fever, seasonal and perennial rhinitis, laryngitis.
You have to visit an ear, nose, and throat doctor if you have any ear impairment, condition, or disorder; this includes ear infections, hearing impairment, disorders that affect your balance, consistent ringing within the ears, and pain in the ear. ENT doctors also treat ear disorders that you’re born with. The doctor treats and manages disorders and conditions that affect the nose like sinuses and issues that affect the sense of smell, the breathing process, and if it alters the physical appearance of the person. ENT doctors specialize in treating various issues that affect the throat as well; some of the major problems are the ones that affect speech, digestion, the swallowing process, and singing.
ENT doctors are also known as Otolaryngology specialists, and they are called surgeons as well. ENT doctors are trained physicians who specialize in treating issues that affect the ears, nose, and throat. This medical specialty goes back to the 19th century, where doctors realized that the head and neck had a series of interconnected systems. Hence, tools and techniques were developed to treat any ENT problems.
Otolaryngology happens to be the oldest medical specialty in the world. Some Otolaryngology specialists will further specialize in specific areas like Otolaryngology for children, while others may go into the Otolaryngology/Neurology field.
Specialists in the field of ENT are trained surgeons as well. Since otolaryngology includes the treatment of ears, nose, throat, and larynx. ENT doctors are physicians and doctors; they can treat medical conditions that affect the ear, nose, and throat and operate on them as well. Surgery on these areas will be required if the medicine and non-invasive procedures are ineffective on the condition; ENT surgery will be performed to treat injuries and deformities too. Some of the common surgeries done by an ENT specialist are:
- Snoring/sleep disorders
- Tonsil extraction
- Corrective breathing
If you are experiencing sudden weight gain or loss, constant fatigue, and a lump in the front of your neck, then all these symptoms indicate thyroid problems, and you need to get them checked as soon as possible. Firstly, an ENT specialist will discuss your medical history with you and conduct a thorough physical examination. To determine if you have thyroid problems, your doctor will order the following tests:
- Chest X-ray, MRI scan, CT scan, or Ultrasound
- Blood tests on the thyroid function
- Radioactive thyroid scan
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy
ENT doctors will treat thyroid problems, and they will either provide you with hormone-altering medication or surgery to remove a part of the thyroid gland (this is done when the medication is not effective anymore).
ENT doctors will make use of a variety of tests to find and diagnose sinus cancer. The tests will also help them identify if cancer has spread to other parts of the body. The tests will help doctors decide on the treatment that works best and prevents the rapid spread of cancer cells. When the ENT doctor has to diagnose a sinus problem, they will make use of a CT scan. This scan will help the doctor identify any abnormalities in the sinus cavities; this will also help identify if the growth within the sinus cavity is cancerous or benign. The most common age for sinus cancer diagnosis is 50s and 60s. Smoking and tobacco are significant causes of sinus and mouth cancer.