Dermatology & Cosmetology
Dermatologists and cosmetologists at Narayana Health provide management and care for diseases related to skin, hair, nails, sexually transmitted diseases, and cosmetology and dermatosurgical procedures.
Services of dermatology at NH include-
- Paediatric dermatology
- All infections related to skin
Dermatologists at Narayana Health treat common skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, vitiligo, leprosy, fungal, viral and common bacterial conditions. They also look into Others conditions like baldness, hair loss, and nail disorders. All kinds of allergies along with sexually transmitted diseases and HIV are also treated.
In addition to our daily out-patient services, we carry out diagnostic and cosmetic procedures such as-
- Skin biopsies
- Electrocautery for removal of skin tags, warts
- Warts curettage of molluscum contagiosum
- Chemical peels for pigmentation and scars
- Treatment of acne scars
- Dermaroller for scars
- Ear piercing
- Cryotherapy for warts
- Intralesional injections for keloids
- Patchy hair loss
- Patch testing
- Allergy testing
We also have in-patient services for dermatology. Our daily services also include referrals from other departments every day.
There are a variety of medical and cosmetic surgical procedures that dermatologists can perform. While some conditions can be effectively treated with medications and non-invasive techniques, other conditions may require surgery or more invasive treatment.
- Biopsies: Skin biopsies are done for the diagnosis of different skin conditions. They are of three types – shave biopsies, punch biopsies and excision biopsies.
- Chemical peels: This procedure involves the application of a chemical solution to peel off a layer of the skin. Lying underneath is a layer of regenerated smooth skin. Chemical peels can be used to treat certain types of acne and sun-damaged skin.
- Cosmetic injections: Your dermatologists will inject botulinum toxin therapy or fillers such as collagen and fat to temporarily reduce wrinkles, scarring and lost facial fullness. The injections have to be repeated periodically as the treatments last for only a few months.
- Cryotherapy: This treatment is commonly used to treat benign skin conditions like warts. Liquid nitrogen is used to freeze the skin lesions and destroy the affected skin cells.
- Dermabrasion: Your dermatologist will remove the top layer of skin using a high-speed rotating brush to surgically treat fine wrinkles, tattoos, eroding scar tissue and potentially precancerous skin patches
- Excision of lesions: Skin lesions are excised to prevent repeated infections, cosmetic reasons or to prevent a disease from spreading. Usually, a local or general anaesthetic is applied to numb the area before removing the lesion.
- Hair removal and restoration: The condition of hair loss can be treated with hair transplantation or surgery to the scalp. Hair epilation or electrolysis is carried out for the removal of unwanted body hair and destroy the hair follicles.
- Laser surgery: It involves using a special light beam for the treatment of tumours, warts, moles, tattoos, scars, birthmarks, unwanted hair and wrinkles.
Derma-Oncology (Skin Cancer)
Skin being the largest organ, is subjected to non-stop exposure of various harmful agents such as intense sunlight, UV rays, chemicals and environmental agents. This constant irritation and exposure make the skin susceptible to cancers. Most common types of skin cancers are-
- Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC)
- Squamous Cell Carcinomas
With a team of skilled cosmetologists, backed by advanced surgical facilities and expert nursing care, the cosmetology department at Narayana Health help enhance your looks and appearance. Our Cosmetic Surgeons are highly experienced in high-end Cosmetic Surgery and treatment. At Narayana Health, we follow the latest and safest techniques. We also offer endoscopic procedures which have minimal recovery time and discomfort. The services offered include-
- Eyelid surgery
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Lift
- Tummy Tuck
- Body Lift
The Cosmetic Surgeons at Mazumdar Shaw Medical Center at NH Health City, Bangalore performs over 1000 cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries in a year.
Dermatology and Cosmetology FAQ's
Dermatology is a speciality in medicine that deals with all concerns of the skin. Dermatologists use medical and surgical methods to manage ailments of the skin. Cosmetology includes the study and application of personal care treatments. These can include skincare, haircare, cosmetics and more.
Some of the procedures commonly performed by dermatologists include;
- Chemical Peel
- Cosmetic Injections
- Hair restoration
- Laser surgeries
- Skin grafts
- Tumescent liposuction
Skin cancer is one of the most common types of cancers. There are three types of skin cancers: Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC), Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC), and Melanoma. The first two types of skin cancers are unlikely to spread to any other part of the body. One of the symptoms of melanoma is an increase in the size of the existing mole or appearance of new unusual mole-like growth.
There are a variety of cosmetic surgery procedures that are conducted and they include
- Breast enlargement
- Breast reduction
- Body contouring procedures like lower body life
- Facial cosmetic surgeries like eyelid surgery
Laser hair removal is one of the most chosen solutions for thick hair growth. During this procedure, the hair follicles are restricted from growing new hairs with the help of lasers. Though popular, the treatment can have several side-effects such as;
- Changing skin colour
- Skin infections
- Scars (This is a possible side-effect but very rare)
Rejuvenation treatments refer to cosmetic treatments done with the aim of achieving younger-looking skin and appearance. Some of the commonly performed facial rejuvenation treatments include;
- Chemical peels
- Botox injections
- Collagen Injections
- Facial toning
- Permanent Makeup