Dr. Raju P. Khubchandani, M.D. was the founder-convener of the Paediatric Rheumatology Society of India (Indian Academy of Paediatrics), and is widely recognized as one of the pioneers of paediatric rheumatology in the country. While he continues to see general paediatric cases, notably children with lung diseases and asthma (the IAP guidelines on Asthma and the Asthma Training Module are his brainchild), his principal focus is children with prolonged fevers, joint (arthritis), muscle and bone disorders. His zeal for paediatric rheumatology was responsible for a mid-career shift to the branch, after brief training at Great Ormond Street Hospital, London in the year 2000. He has over 130 publications, several chapters in books, and has co-authored two books. He has been Asia’s sole representative at 5 international consensus group meetings. He strongly believes in multidisciplinary approach in patient care. At least ten students who he has mentored have pursued paediatric rheumatology as a career. Travel and teaching are his passion. Not only is he an astute clinician and a surgeon par excellence, his greatest strength lies in treating patients with compassion and has more than 13 years of surgical experience under his belt. He is an avid researcher, has more than 20 national and international publications in peer-reviewed journals to his name, has made more than 50 presentations across the globe in most prestigious of the scientific forums, has authored important chapters in prominent medical textbooks and is a leading and a sought-after speaker in conferences both within and outside India.
- MD (Paediatrics)
Fields of Expertise
- Childhood asthma
- Respiratory / lung diseases such as cystic fibrosis
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (formerly known as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis)
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
- Juvenile Dermatomyositis
- Pain syndromes of childhood including growing pains and joint hypermobility
- Hereditary / genetic disorders of bone and connective tissue
- Infections of bones and joints such as Tuberculosis and septic arthritis /osteomyelitis
- Rheumatic fever and other post infective conditions
- Periodic fever syndromes also now known as auto-inflammatory syndromes including juvenile and hereditary sarcoidosis (Blau syndrome) amongst others
Awards & Recognition
- The Shantilal C. Sheth Oration, 49th National Conference of Indian Academy of Pediatrics (Pedicon)2012: Little joints and the big picture
- The P. M. Udani Oration, Maharashtra State Annual Conference (Mahapedicon) 2010: A clinical approach to a child with arthritis
- The S. M. Merchant Oration, Mumbai City Annual conference (Embicon) 2010: Pediatric rheumatology—the Mumbai experience.
- The N Somu Oration, 20th IAP Respiratory Chapter (Respicon) 2008: Pediatric Pulmonology in India –rewind and fast forward
- The Tapan Kumar Ghosh Oration West Bengal Pedicon 2014: Pediatric Rheumatology in India.
- Kerala state Pedicon Oration 2015: Stories with a twist in the tale.
- The M.P Bhagat Oration (KEM Hospital Research Society) 2016: Pediatric rheumatology – a clinician’s haven.
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Life member - Indian Academy of Pediatrics, Mumbai
- National Coordinator PRINTO (Pediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organization) till Dec 2016
- Convener Kawasaki Disease Registry and Cystic Fibrosis Registry Mumbai IAP
- Recognized guide for DNB Pediatrics
- Past President Indian Academy of Pediatrics Respiratory Chapter and Rheumatology Chapter
- Post-doctoral teacher in pediatric rheumatology (IAP-SRCC Pediatric Rheumatology Fellowship)
- Course, Outcome and Complications in Children with Systemic Onset Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis.
- Comparing Presenting Clinical Features in 48 Children With Microscopic Polyangiitis to 183 Children Who Have Granulomatosis With Polyangiitis (Wegener's): An ARChiVe Cohort Study.
- 2016 Classification Criteria for Macrophage Activation Syndrome Complicating Systemic Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: A European League Against Rheumatism/American College of Rheumatology/Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organisation Collaborative Initiative.
- Expert consensus on dynamics of laboratory tests for diagnosis of macrophage activation syndrome complicating systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
- When flexibility is not necessarily a virtue: a review of hypermobility syndromes and chronic or recurrent musculoskeletal pain in children.
- Initial Benchmarking of the Quality of Medical Care in Childhood-Onset Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
- Evaluation of the benefits of sequential addition of leflunomide in patients with polyarticular course juvenile idiopathic arthritis failing standard dose methotrexate.
- Cryosupernatant and Immunosuppression as Effective Alternative Therapies for TTP in Three Pediatric SLE Patients.
- Bilateral central retinal artery occlusion: an unusual presentation of Polyarteritis Nodosa.
- Tuberculosis, bacillus Calmette-Guérin vaccination, and allergic disease: findings from the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood Phase Two.
- Therapeutic approaches in the treatment of juvenile dermatomyositis in patients with recent-onset disease and in those experiencing disease flare: an international multicenter PRINTO study.
- Pediatric vasculitides: a generalist’s approach.
- EULAR/PRINTO/PRES criteria for Henoch-Schönlein purpura, childhood polyarteritis nodosa, childhood Wegener granulomatosis and childhood Takayasu arteritis: Ankara 2008. Part I: Overall methodology and clinical characterisation.
English, Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi