Dr. Shilpa Aggarwal is a Child and Adolescent psychiatrist, with basic training in psychiatry from KEM hospital, Mumbai and Base Hospital, Delhi and advanced training in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry from Australia. She specializes in a broad range of mental health disciplines and therapies, such as individual psychotherapy, cognitive behavior therapy, and family- based therapies. Shilpa has worked as a Consultant Psychiatrist at leading institutes across Australia and has received various awards in the field reflecting her commitment to the cause of child and adolescent mental health and her strive for excellence. She has a special interest in research and has authored several scientific articles in International peer-reviewed journals. Her vision is to improve the mental health of youth across the globe through collaborative exchange of information.
- DNB (Psychiatry), ATCAP, FRANZCP
Fields of Expertise
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Awards & Recognition
- Nominated for Japanese Society for Psychiatry and Neurology Young Psychiatrist Fellowship Award by Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
- First Rank in Psychiatry at the National Board Examination
- Awarded Gold Medal (National level) at the National Board Examinations convocation (DNB)
- Young Psychiatrist Award: Fellowship award to represent India in young psychiatrist forum during 3rd International Conference of SAARC Psychiatric Federation
- Devised an Adolescent Stressful Life Event Scale (A.L.E.S.S. scale) to suit Indian conditions (Published in Indian Journal of Psychiatry)
- Young Scientist Award: Awarded by Delhi Psychiatric Society
- Third rank in Psychiatry at Mumbai University Examination (DPM I)
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Indian Association of Psychiatry
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
- Member of Faculty of Health, School of Medicine at Deakin University, Victoria, Australia: 2014-till date
- British Journal of Psychiatry
- International Psychiatry
- Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology
- International Psychiatry
- Stressful Life Events Among Adolescents- Development of a New Measure. Aggarwal S*, Prabhu HRA, Anand A, Kotwal A; Indian Journal of Psychiatry;2007,49(2).
- Effect of Language Medium of education on State and Trait anxiety in school going adolescents. Aggarwal S*, Prabhu HRA, Pardal KP, Prakash J; Delhi Psychiatry Bulletin, 2005.
- Psychiatric manifestation in Tuberous Sclerosis. Prakash J, Aggarwal S*; Industrial Psychiatry Journal 2007,16(1),59-60.
- Restless leg syndrome associated with olanzapine: a case series. Aggarwal S*, Dodd S, Berk M; Current Drug Safety 2010 Apr;5(2):129-31.
- Tardive dyskinesia with atypical antipsychotics in youth. Aggarwal S*, Burnett P. Australasian Psychiatry. 2013 Oct;21(5):507-508.
- Restless Leg Syndrome associated with Atypical Antipsychotics: Current Status & Pathophysiology, Treatment Options and Research Directions, Aggarwal S*, Berk M, Dodd S. Current Drug Safety, 2014 May 27 (vol 9).
- Evolution of adolescent mental health in a rapidly changing socioeconomic environment: a review of mental health studies in adolescents in India over last 10 years. Aggarwal S*, Berk M. Asian journal of psychiatry 2015(13): 3-12.
- Misdiagnosis versus missed diagnosis: diagnosing autism spectrum disorder in adolescents. Aggarwal S*, Angus B. Australasian Psychiatry 2015 Apr 23(2): 120-3
- Nonsuicidal self-injury in India adolescents: nonexistent or unacknowledged. Aggarwal S*, Berk M. International Journal of Social Psychiatry. 2015 Aug; 61(5): 516-7.
- Suicide in India. Aggarwal S*. British Medical Bulletin. 2015; 114 (1): 127-134.