Dr Dhiraj is one of the finest Spine Surgeons in the country, known for successfully managing the most complex and challenging cases in the spine. He has completed his Master in Orthopaedic Surgery at Grant Medical College & Sir JJ Hospital, Mumbai. After postgraduation, he joined KEM hospital, Mumbai & later at JJ hospital where he performed thousands of Spine surgeries successfully.
He had completed his international fellowship and training in advanced pediatric spine surgery at the most prestigious university around the world, where he learned the fine elements of the spine from the best surgeons in the world. He learned techniques in scoliosis and spine deformity from Dr Lawrence Lenke (USA) & Professor Wong Her Kit, Cervical Spine surgery from Dr Daniel Riew (USA), Minimally invasive spine from Professor Gabriel Liu & Spine tumour from Professor Naresh Kumar (Singapore) who are the legends of spine subspecialties surgeries in the world.
Dr Dhiraj's exceptional work for carrying out successfully challenging surgeries is applauded in media many times & reported in various National and International news channels, magazines, and print media. He is a teacher to spine fellows & faculty in various spine national workshops, and conferences. He has published more than 45 articles in internationally reputed journals & an author of book chapters.
- M.S. (Orth),
- Fellowship Scoliosis Surgery Columbia University, USA,
- Clinical Spine Fellow, NUH Singapore,
- AO Spine Fellowship
Post held in past
- Head of Orthopaedics & Spine @ G. T. Hospital, & Grant Govt Medical College Mumbai, India.
Fields of Expertise
- Paediatric Spine diseases
- Spine deformity Correction
- Craniovertebral Junction anomalies
- Spine trauma
- Revision spine surgeries
Awards & Recognition
- Scoliosis Research Society Fellowship Award - 6000 USD
- 1st Prize for Best research paper presentation in Paediatric Spine deformity- National conference IOA 2021
- 1st Prize for Best Published Paper in Spine Tuberculosis Great Mimicker- National conference IOA 2021
- Best Doctor in Hospital Award 2017, 19, 21
- Letter of Appreciation: COVID management, Planning, Patient care.
- Recognition of publication award BOS
- Journal of Trauma & Orthopaedics (Official Journal of Maharashtra Orthopedic Association) - 2020
- Journal of Spinal Studies & Surgery (Official publication of Polish Society of Spinal Surgery)- 2019
Editorial Board Member:
- International Spine Journal- 2018
- Spine Research Journal-2018
- Journal of Bone Biology & Osteoporosis-2019
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Scoliosis Research Society
- North American Spine Society
- Asia Pacific Spine Society
- AO Spine
- Association of Spine Surgeons India
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgeons of India
- Bombay Orthopaedic Association
- Bombay Spine Society
- Indian Orthopaedic Association
- Maharashtra Orthopaedic Association
- Cervical corpectomy in delayed presentation of irreducible cervical dislocation: experience with eight cases. Sonawane D, Dave H, Savant S, Garg B, Bangalore S, Chandanwale A. Br J Neurosurg. 2021 Feb 15:1-7. doi:10.1080/02688697.2021.1885619. PMID: 33586550.
- Extend of skipped multifocal noncontiguous spinal tuberculosis beyond imagination: A rare case report and literature review. Sonawane D, Bipul Kumar Garg, Kishor Bapuji Jadhav. Asian Jour. Neurosurgery 2020;15(1):136-139.
- 26/11 Mumbai terrorist attack revisited: Lessons learnt and novel disaster model for future. Jamba. 2020 Aug 24;12(1):915. DOI: 10.4102/Jamba.v12i1.915. Sonawane DV, Garg BK, Chandanwale A, Mathesul AA, Shinde OR, Singh S. PMID: 32934783.
- Management of Traumatic paraplegia due to a fracture Thoraco-Lumbar spine in pregnancy. Sonawane D, Pradip Nemade, Ajay Chandanwale. Eur Spine J. 2017 May 16.
- Basic concepts in metalwork failure after metastatic spine tumour surgery. Naresh Kumar, Ravish Patel, Anshuja Charvi Wadhwa, Aravind Kumar, Helena Maria Milavec, Sonawane D, Gurpal Singh, Lorin Michael Benneker. Eur. Spine J. 2017 Dec 4.
- Asymptomatic Construct Failure after Metastatic Spine Tumor Surgery: A New Entity or a Continuum with Symptomatic Failure? Naresh Kumar, Sonawane D, Ravish Patel, Barry Wei Loong Tan, Jiong Hao Tan, Naveen Pandita, Keith Gerard Lopez, Khin Lay Wai, Hwee Weng Dennis Hey, Aravind Kumar, and Gabriel Liu. Asain Spine Journal Oct 2021, PMID 33108848.
- Study of in Vivo and in Vitro Growth of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis From the Intra-operative Samples of Patients of Osteoarticular Tuberculosis. Sonawane D
- Metastatic spine tumour surgery: does perioperative blood transfusion influence postoperative complications? Aye Sandar Zaw, Sonawane D, Karthikeyan Maharanjan, Dennis Hey, Aravind Kumar, Naresh Kumar. The Spine Journal 17 (2017) S3–S22.
- Annulo-Nucleoplasty Using Disc-Fx in the Management of Degenerative Lumbar Disc Pathology: How Long Can the Effect Last? Naresh Kumar, Aye Sandar Zaw, Nishant Kumar, Sonawane D, Hwee Weng Dennis Hey, Aravind Kumar. Nucleoplasty using Disc-Fx. European Spine Journal 2017.
- Perioperative blood transfusion: does it influence survival and cancer progression in metastatic spine tumour surgery? Aye Sandar Zaw, Sonawane D, Karthikeyan Maharanjan, Dennis Hey, Aravind Kumar, Naresh Kumar. The Spine Journal 17 (2017) S3–S22.
- An epidemiological study from a tertiary care hospital in the Asian subcontinent on Traumatic cervical injuries: How is the injury pattern and what are the implications? Sonawane D, Ganesh Yeotiwad¹, Ajay Chandanwale³, Swapnil Keny, Abhijeet Salunke, Ambarish Mathesul, Eknath Pawar. International Journal of Spine 2016 Dec;1(2): 44-48.
- RCT: Clinical Trial to Evaluate Efficacy and Tolerability of Trypsin: Chymotrypsin as Compared to Serratiopeptidase and Trypsin: Bromelain: Rutoside in Wound Management. Chandanwale A, Langade D, Sonawane D, Gavai P. Adv Ther. 2017 Jan;34(1):180-198.
- Meta-analysis: Do autologous blood transfusion systems reduce allogeneic blood transfusion in total knee arthroplasty? Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy April 2016. Aditya Pawaskar, Abhijeet Ashok Salunke , Aashay Kekatpure, Yongsheng Chen, G. I. Nambi, Junhao Tan, Sonawane D, Subodhkumar Pathak.
- Radiological assessment of Skeletal age- Comparison of Mackay and Greulich-Pyle method. Keny SM Keny, Sonawane D, Pawar E, Saraogi AA, Singh V, Khan F, Bande PP, Chandanwale A.J Pediatr Orthop B. 2017 Jul 31.
- Psoas abscess like metastasis mimicking Koch's spine. Sonawane D, Sanjay A Jagtap, Ambarish Mathesul, Tushar R. Clinical Cancer Investigation Journal. 2012;1(2):103-105.
- Post-operative Extensively Drug NN Mycobacterium Tuberculous Discitis. International journal of spine Jan-Apr 2016; 1(1): 47-49. Sonawane D, Eknath Pawar, Ajay S Chandanwale, Ambarish A Mathesul, Abhishek Salunke, Swapnil M Keny.
- A Rare Cause of Cauda Equina Syndrome: Epidural High-Grade Primary Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. Mathesul AA, Sonawane D, Nemade P, Biraris S. Clin Cancer Investig J 2013;2:70-2.
- Intradural extramedullary capillary YE of the lower thoracic spinal cord. Sonawane D, Jagtap SA, Mathesul AA. Indian J Orthop. 2012 Jul;46(4):475-8.
- Intramedullary tuberculoma of the dorsal spinal cord: a case report with review of the literature. Sonawane D, Sanjay Jagtap, Hitendra Patil, Ajay Chandanwale, Sandeep Biraris. Jocr/April-June-2015-vol-5-issue-2.
- Symposium: Classifications of intertrochanteric fractures & their clinical importance. Sonawane D. Trauma International 2015 July-Sep;1(1):7-11.
- Isolated tuberculosis of scapula in a young adult. Sanjay A. Jagtap, Sonawane D, Akash A. Saraogi. International Journal of Mycobacteriology Volume 2, Issue 2, Pages 114-117, June 2013.
- Bilateral multi-ligament injury of the knee caused by an entangled dupatta. Vaidya SV, Mathesul AA, Panghate AN, Wade R, Sonawane D. Indian J Orthop. 2012 Mar;46(2):239-41.
- Isolated tarsal navicular fracture-dislocation: a case report. Mathesul AA, Sonawane D, Chouhan VK. Foot Ankle Spec. 2012 Jun;5(3):185-7.
- Phobia about medical thesis in medical Postgraduate students. Sonawane D. Journal of a medical thesis. Journal of medical thesis 2014 Sep-Dec; 2(3): 3-4. DOI: 10.13107/jmt.2347-5595/054.
- Original article: Functional Evaluation of Proximal Humerus Fracture Managed by Locking Plate. Yogesh Savliram Gangurde , Neetin Pralhad Mahajan , Sonawane D. July- Sep; 1(1): 29-31.
- Comparison Between Various Modalities of Treatment of Distal End Radius Fractures. Saraogi Akash Ashok, Sonawane D, Dr Ajay S Chandanwale, Jagtap Sanjay A, Shah Nadir Z, Bhoyar Rahul P. Journal of a medical thesis. Journal of medical thesis 2014 Sep-Dec; 2(3): 9-11.
- A Comparative Study Of The Management Of Fracture Neck Femur By Dynamic Hip Compression Screw With Derotation Screw Versus Three Cancellous Screws. Journal of a medical thesis. Journal of medical thesis 2014 Sep-Dec; 2(3): 5-8. Sonawane D.
- Editorial: Perspective of a thesis guide on a thesis topic. Vol 2 | Issue 2 | May – Aug 2014 | page 3-4 | Jagtap S, Sonawane D, Saraogi A. How to site: http://journalmedicalthesis.com/2014/09/perspective-of-a-thesis-guide-in....
- Letter regarding "functional outcome of open reduction of chronic perilunate injuries". Biraris SR, Sonawane D, Soonawalla DF. J Hand Surg Am. 2013 Jul;38(7):1449. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhsa.2013.04.046. PMID: 23790433.
- Comment on: Outcome of locking compression plates in humeral shaft nonunions. PMID-24133322. Sandeep Biraris, Sonawane D. Indian J Orthop. 2013 Sep; 47(5): 534. http://www.ijoonline.com/text.asp?2013/47/5/534/118219.
- Four quadrants parallel peripheral screw fixation for displaced femoral neck fractures in elderly patients.January 2014; 48(1). PMID- 24600076.Sandeep R Biraris, Darius F Soonawalla, Sonawane D, Pradip Nemade http://www.ijoonline.comemp.IndianJOrthop481112-5191167_142511.pdf.
- Title of the article: Tobacco, Oxidative stress and Otorhino-laryngological. diseases. Journal of a medical thesis. Journal of medical thesis 2014 Sep-Dec; 2(3):17-20. Sonawane D
- Aneurysmal bone cyst of the second lumbar spine: A case report with review of the literature. BH Journal 2011. BH Jour. Sonawane D.
- Multiple Spinal Extradural Arachnoid Cyst: A Case Report. Sonawane D, Bipul Kumar Garg, Harshit Dave, Vikram Singh, Ajay Chandanwale. International Journal of Spine 2019.
- Surgical Management of Tuberculous Vertebra Plana of the Third Cervical vertebra. Sonawane D, Bipul Kumar Garg, Harshit Dave, Shrikant Savant. International Journal of Spine 2019.
- Hereditary Multiple Exostoses: A Rare Case Report. 10.18535/jmscr/v7i6.126. June 2019 Jour med.Sci. CR. SOnawane D, Garg Bipul.
- Pathological Fracture of the Tibia in a Monostotic Anterior Cortical Fibrous Dysplasia: Hybrid Fixation with Unicortical Osteoperiosteal Non-Vascularized Fibula Graft – A Case Report. Naved Ansari, Sonawane D.
- Outcome of Intramedullary Nailing of Proximal Third Radius Fractures in Adult Using Talwalkar nail. Naved Ansari, Sonawane D. 2020
- “Locking the Head Technique” For Femoral Head Removal in Intra-capsular Neck Femur Fractures Ansari, Naved, Sonawane D. 2021
- Cervical Myelopathy and Lumbar Spondylolisthesis in Elderly Patients with Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis (DISH)–A Case Series. Np Mahajan, Gs Prasanna Kumar, AS Chandanwale, Sonawane D. Journal of orthopaedic case reports 10 (8), 48
- Bilateral uncemented hemiarthroplasty in a patient with bilateral lower limb pprp with right knee arthrodesis: surgical difficulties and techniques. Bk Garg¹, H Dave¹, Sonawane D ¹, Op Patil¹ Trauma international may-dec 5
- Surgical Aggressiveness Index (SAI) For Metastatic Spinal Disease (Msd): Gp173. N Kumar, Bwl Tan, Lw Khin, As Zaw, Sonawane D, A Kumar. Spine Journal Meeting Abstracts, 315. 2019
- Functional outcome in patients operated with High Tibial Osteotomy (HTO) medial open wedge osteotomy with HTO fixator in a prospective study. Eknath D Pawar, Sonawane D, Angad Chikodi Shaswat Mishra, Sagar Bansal, Sachin Khemkar.
- Tuberculosis of Spine- Do we know everything about it? Sonawane D. 2021; Jour of Ortho. Trauma. Great Mimicker. Harshit dave, Sonawane D. 2021; Jour of Ortho. Trauma.
Key Procedures Performed
- Scoliosis & Spine Deformity Correction Surgery
Rare/ Unique Skills
- Severe Spine deformity or scoliosis correction surgeries
- Scoliosis correction surgeries
- Severe Spinal deformities
- Craniovertebral surgery
- All spinal illness in paediatric
- Paediatric Spine deformity
- Spine Anatomy
- Pediatric Spine infection
- Cervical spine
- Congenital Atlantoaxial Disorders
- Degenerative spine
- Tuberculous Spine and other infection
- Traumatic spine injury
- Minimally invasive spine
Marathi, English, Hindi