Dr Uma Ali has experience of over 40 years and has done Clinical fellowship at the Kidney Centre, Kitasato Hospital, Sagamihara, Japan, under Dr. Tadasu Sakai 1995 and undertaken British Council Scholarship for clinical observership at the Nephrology department of Hospital for sick children, Great Ormond Street under Dr. M Barratt and at Guy’s Hospital, London under Dr GB Haycock, 1990. Her special contributions have been in the development of pediatric dialysis and transplantation services and in the training of fellows in pediatric nephrology. She is a Founder member and President of the Kidney Foundation for Children which is a non-profit foundation working towards facilitating the right care, at the right time, in the right manner for all children with kidney diseases.
Fields of Expertise
- Neonatal Kidney Disorders
- Acute and Chronic Kidney Failure
- Renal Biopsy / Dialysis / Renal Transplant
Key Procedures Performed
- Acute intermittent peritoneal dialysis
- Neonatal peritoneal dialysis
- Hemodialysis for acute renal failure
- Therapeutic plasma exchange
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Indian Academy of Pediatrics
- Indian Society of Pediatric Nephrology
- Indian Society of Nephrology
- International Pediatric Nephrology Association
- International Society of Nephrology
- Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome- A Tropical Look International Journal of Pediatric Nephrology, 1980,1(2): 98-103.
- Immunological study of Minimal Change Nephrotic syndrome. European Journal of Pediatrics,1983, 140:289. (abs)
- Immunofluorescence Microscopy in Glomerulopathy in children. Indian Pediatrics, 1984, 2:701-705.
- Recent advances in Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome. Indian Journal of Pediatrics, 1985, 52:579- 586.
- Congenital Toxoplasmosis Indian Pediatrics, 1985, 22:387-392.
- Immunological studies in Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome with reference to immunoregulatory therapy. Archives of diseases in children, 1986, 61; 153-158.
- New approach to relapsing nephrotic syndrome. Pediatric Nephrology 1987, 1:1 c-46 (abs).
- Hypercholesterolemia in relapse & remission in idiopathic nephrotic syndrome Indian Pediatrics, 1988, 25:1187-1192.
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Indian children. Indian Pediatrics, 1989, 26:868-873.
- Renal disorders of newborns in India. Pediatric Nephrology 1989,3:4C-200(abs)
Posts Held in Past
- Head of Nephrology - BJ Wadia Hospital for Children - 1996-2016
- Consultant Pediatrician (pediatric nephrology) - Lilavati Hospital and research Centre - 2000 onwards
- Consultant pediatric nephrologist - Jupiter Hospital - 2008 onwards
- Senior Consultant Pediatric Nephrologist - SRCC-NH Children’s Hospital - 2017 onwards
- Professor of pediatrics and division of nephrology and PICU - BJ Wadia Hospital for Children - 1992- 2000
- Associate professor of pediatrics and pediatric nephrology - BJ Wadia Hospital for Children - 1986 -1992
- Lecturer in pediatrics and pediatric nephrology - BJ Wadia Hospital for Children - 1978-1986