Dr. Swati Kanakia is a Senior Consultant in the Department of HematologyOncology at SRCC Children’s Hospital. She completed graduation & postgraduation in Paediatrics from the Grant Medical College Mumbai, with multiple distinctions in various subjects and a gold medal in the DCH examination. She completed her PhD in Applied Biology with dissertation topic, “Plasma Borne Infections in Thalassemia” during her tenure at the Division of Paediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Paediatrics at the Lokmanya Tilak Municipal General Hospital (LTMGH) and Medical College. She received travelling scholarship from the International Outreach Programme from the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, USA to enhance her training in paediatric Oncology. On her return from USA, she worked as a Research Associate in the Division of Paediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Paediatrics at the LTMGH & Medical college on a fellowship awarded by the CSIR (Council for Industrial and Scientic Research). Dr. Swati Kanakia is a recognized teacher and examiner for DNB Pediatrics. She is actively involved in academics and is currently the secretary of the prestigious Mumbai Hematology Group.
- MD (Paediatrics), DCH, PhD
Fields of Expertise
- Paediatric Leukemia
- Paediatric Solid Tumors
- Paediatric Blood Diseases
- Primary Immune Deficiency Diseases
Awards & Recognition
- Awarded by council of scientific and industrial research, Govt of India
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Joint Secretary Mumbai Hematology Group – since 2014
- Secretary Mumbai Hematology Group –since 2016
- Reviewer for Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Journal
- Swati Kanakia, Mamta Manglani, Rajesh Shenoy, MR Lokeshwar. Biologic Response Modifiers – 1. Pediatric Clinics of India. 1994; 29:48-56
- Rajesh Shenoy, Mamta Manglani, Swati Kanakia, MR Lokeshwar Biologic Response Modifiers-2. Peadiatric Clinics of India.1994;24:60-63
- Mamta Manglani, Tejal Trivedi, Swati Kanakia, Nitin Shah, MR Lokeshwar Recent Advances in Thalassemia Care. Pediatric clinics of India. 1995; 30:44-53
- MR Lokeshwar, Mamta Manglani, Nitin Shah, Swati Kanakia. Approach to a bleeding child for practicing physician. JIC-UP. 1997;2 17-27
- Swati Kanakia, Vani VG, Minna A, Parinda AA, Radha K, Mamta Manglani, MR Lokeshwar. NESTROFT – An ideal Screening Test. PHO Review 2.
- Kulkarni B, Kanakia S, Ghosh K, Shetty S. Prothrombin Mumbai causes severe prothrombin deficiency due to a novel Cys90Ser mutation. Ann Hematol. 2012 Oct;91(10):1667-8.
English, Hindi, Gujarati