Dr Basu has a strong interest in Microvascular reconstruction, Hand surgery, Breast cosmetic surgery, Facial Cosmetic surgery and Trauma surgery. He is specially trained in breast reconstruction at centers of International repute. He is an acclaimed expert in the field of flap surgery and has been on the editorial board of prestigious peer-reviewed medical journals.
Fields of Expertise
- Plastic Surgery
- Microvascular Surgery
- Breast Reconstruction
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Facial fractures and trauma
- Hand fractures and trauma
- Craniofacial surgery
Key Procedures Performed
- Facial fracture
- Hand Injury
- Finger injury
- Congenital deformities
- Breast Augmentation and Reduction
- Burn surgery
- Cleft lip and palate
- Microvascular Surgery
- Lymphedema surgery
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Member, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK.
- Associate Editor, Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery.
- Secretary, Association of Plastic Surgeons of West Bengal, India.
Chapter in book
- Basu A. Classification of flaps and application of the concept of vascular territories. In: Agrawal K ed. Textbook of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. Volume 1. Principles and Advances in Plastic Surgery. Delhi, India: Thieme; 2016: 93-119: chap 5
- Basu A. Chapter 60. Understanding flaps based on Perforators (Vasculosomes). https://shortnotesinplasticsurgery.wordpress.com/2017/01/20/chapter-60-u... (last accessed Feb 11 2017)
- Basu A. The vasculosome theory. Plast Reconstr Surg 2015; 135: 449e-51e.
- Basu A. Aesthetic refinements of the island V-Y advancement cheek flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 2013; 132: 463e – 4e.
- Basu A, Sharma RK. "Image-guided" perforator flaps versus "free-style" perforator flaps: where is the evidence? Plast Reconstr Surg 2013; 131: 444e-5e.
- Basu A. Invasive burn wound infection. Indian J Surg 2011; 73: 319-20.
- Basu A, Sharma RK, Makkar SS. Distally based posterior tibial artery cross-bridge flap: old wine in a new bottle? J Reconstr Microsurg. 2011; 27: 143-4.
- Sharma RK, Basu A, Parashar A, Makkar SS. Cartilage graft for strengthening repair of torn ear lobes: concept or conjecture? J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2010; 63: e846-7.
- Parashar A, Basu A, Saikia UN, Sharma RK. Extensive ulnar nerve necrosis: a complication of tuberculoid leprosy. Lepr Rev 2013; 84: 100-4.
- Basu A, Jacobs M. Hernia through the foramen omentale. N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: e57.
- Basu A, Sistla SC, Verma SK, Jagdish S. Axillary lymphadenovarix- an unusual presentation of Filariasis. Filaria J 2006; 5: 9.
Posts Held in Past
- Formerly at Tata Medical Center
- PGI Chandigarh
- Detroit Medical Center USA
- Providence Hospital MI USA
- St Andrew's Center for Plastic Surgery UK
English, Bengali, Hindi, Tamil