Dr. Amitabha Chanda is one of the finest neurosurgeons in India with an experience of more than 32 years. He had been topper throughout his career. He did his MBBS and Master of Surgery (M.S.) in general surgery from Medical College, Calcutta. He bagged several gold medals and prizes in his career. He stood first in M.S. examination in University of Calcutta. He did his MCh in neurosurgery from PGIMER, Chandigarh with outstanding result.
He went to USA for higher training. He had a score of 99 percentile in USMLE. He worked with several world-renowned neurosurgeons and learnt different facets of neurosurgery from them. Prof. Laligam Sekhar of The George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA, world-renowned neurosurgeon, and pioneer of skull-base surgery in North America was his mentor. He also got trained by Dr. Fred Gentili of Toronto, Canada, who is another master microneurosurgeon. Besides these trainings, he was also trained by Prof. Anil Nanda, Chairman of Neurosurgery in Louisiana State University Health Center in USA. He received training in Endoscopic neurosurgery in Germany. He also worked with Prof. M. G. Yasargil (Man of the Century for Neurosurgery).
He has the rare distinction of speaking in PLENARY SESSION of the conference of American Association of Neurological Surgeons in 2001. He has been an instructor in several pre-conference workshops in USA. He has published many articles in Neurosurgery in international journals and wrote chapters in different international textbooks and reference books in Neurosurgery. He has been reviewer of several international and national journals like NEUROSURGERY, SKULL BASE SURGERY, SURGICAL NEUROLOGY and NEUROLOGY INDIA.
He has been awarded Prof. Ashim K. Dutta Chair in Clinical Anatomy and Surgery from K. P. C. Medical College. He is a recipient of “Bangaratna Gourab Somman” for his contribution to Neurosurgery. He also received “Bharat-Bangladesh Maitree Somman”award for Neurosurgery and music.
Apart from his professional activities, he is into several social benevolent activities and artistic performances. He is an accomplished singer and actor with regular stage performances. Although increasing commitment in profession is reducing his involvement in these activities, he involves himself, whenever he can make time.
- MBBS (Gold Medalist)
- MS (Gen Surgery, Calcutta, Gold Medalist) MCh (Neurosurgery, PGIMER, Chandigarh)
- Cerebrovascular and Skull Base Fellow, USA
- Skull Base Fellow, Canada
Post held in past
- Senior Consultant and Head of Neurosurgery
Evercare Hospitals Dhaka
- Senior Consultant and Head of Neurosurgery
Apollo Hospitals Dhaka
- Senior Consultant of Neurosurgery
Fortis Hospitals, Anandapur, Kolkata
- Consultant Neurosurgeon and Coordinator of Neurosciences
RTIICS and ACTC, Kolkata
Fields of Experience
- Specialized in:
- Skull base surgery including skull base tumors and pituitary tumors (Trained in USA and Canada)
- Endoscopic and Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery (Trained in Germany)
- Cerebral Aneurysms and Arteriovenous Malformations (Trained in USA)
- Revascularization of Brain (Trained in USA, Austria)
- Complex Spine surgeries including Spine deformities (Trained in Switzerland, Republic of Korea)
- Pediatric Neurosurgeries (Trained in Canada)
- Highest number of successful Awake Brain Surgeries for Brain Tumors in Eastern India
Awards & Recognition
- Bharat – Bangladesh Maitree Samman -2021
- Sera Bengali – Banglar Gourab (For Contribution in Neurosurgery-2022)
- Awarded Prof. Ashim K. Dutta Chair in Clinical Anatomy and Surgery in March 2021 by K. P. C. Medical College, Kolkata.
- Received “Bangaratna Gourab Somman” in January 2018 for contribution to Neurosurgery.
- Received Anungomohan Sen Menorial medal for being the best student in University of Calcutta in M.S. in 1993.
- Stood First in M.Ch. (Neurosurgery) in P.G.I.M.E.R., Chandigarh.
- Stood 3rd in West Bengal Board in Higher Secondary Examination out of approximately 217,000 students.
- Received University Gold Medal in Anatomy.
- Received honors in Surgery.
- Received First Certificate of Honors in Biochemistry.
- Received Second Certificate of Honors in Physiology.
- Felicitated as one of the 50 eminent students of all times during Golden Jubilee celebrations of South Point High School, Kolkata in 2004.
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Life member of NSI (Neurological Society of India).
- Life member of Indian Medical Association, Calcutta branch
- Former International Active Member of Congress of Neurological Surgeons.
- Former Member of North American Skull Base Society
- Former International member of American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
- Former International member of Council of Healthcare Advisors, USA.
- Member of AO Spine.
PAPERS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Chanda A, Banerjee A, Nanda A. Microsurgical anatomy of the posterior cranial fossa. In Nanda A (Ed) PRINCIPLES OF POSTERIOR FOSSA SURGERY. New York, Thieme, 2012, pp 13-38.
- Chanda A, Guha A. Cauda equina, paraspinal and peripheral nerve tumors. In Dickman CA, Fehlings MG, Gokaslan ZL (Eds) SPINAL CORD AND SPINAL COLUMN TUMORS: PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE. New York, Thieme, 2006, pp 349-368.
- Vijay Kumar GR, Chanda A. Evaluation and treatment of fungal and tubercular infections of the spine. In Winn HR (Ed) Youmans and Winn Neurological Surgery (7th Edition). Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 2017, pp 2402 – 2413.
- Chanda A, Nanda A. Retrosigmoid intradural suprameatal approach: advantages and disadvantages from an anatomical perspective. Neurosurgery Vol 59(1 Suppl): ONS1-6, 2006.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A, Morita A. Cerebral veins and dural sinuses: Preservation and reconstruction. In Sekhar LN & Fessler RG (Eds) ATLAS OF NEUROSURGICAL TECHNIQUES (BRAIN). New York, Thieme, 2006, pp 379-395.
- Sekhar LN, Sarma S, Chanda A. Acoustic neuroma: Retrosigmoid and transpetrosal approaches. In Sekhar LN & Fessler RG (Eds) ATLAS OF NEUROSURGICAL TECHNIQUES (BRAIN). New York, Thieme, 2006, pp 734-751.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A, Kalavakonda C, Wright DC. Chordomas and Chondrosarcomas. In Winn HR (Ed) YOUMANS NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY (5TH EDITION). Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 2004, pp 1283-1295.
- Guha S, Milner SM, Chanda A. The anatomical basis of the modified volar advancement flap for fingertip reconstruction. Published in Surgical knowledge and skills website of The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 2004.
- Chanda A, Nanda A. Epidural and Subdural Hematoma. In Evans RW (Ed) SAUNDERS MANUAL OF NEUROLOGIC PRACTICE. Philadelphia, WB Saunders (An imprint of Elsevier Science), 2003, pp 500-506.
- Chanda A, Nanda A. Partial labyrinthectomy petrous apicectomy approach to the petroclival region: an anatomic and technical study. Neurosurgery Vol 51(1): 147-160, 2002.
- Chanda A, Nanda A. Anatomical study of orbitozygomatic transsellar-transcavernous-transclinoidal approach to the basilar artery bifurcation. J Neurosurg Vol 97(1): 151-160, 2002.
- Chanda A, Nanda A. Multiple cavernomas of brain presenting with simultaneous hemorrhage in two lesions: a case report. Surg Neurol. 57(5): 340-345, 2002.
- Chanda A, Smith DR, Nanda A. Autotransfusion by cell saver technique in surgery of lumbar and thoracic spinal fusion with instrumentation. J Neurosurg. Vol 96(3 Suppl): 298-302, 2002.
- Chanda A, Avci E, Fossett DT. Middle Fossa Approach. In Fossett DT, Caputy AJ (Eds) Operative Neurosurgical Anatomy, New York, Thieme, 2002, pp 61-66.
- Acevedo C, Chanda A, Grant M, Fossett DT. Cavernous Sinus Anatomy. In Fossett DT, Caputy AJ (Eds) Operative Neurosurgical Anatomy, New York, Thieme, 2002, pp 37-45.
- Avci E, Chanda A, Fossett DT. Preauricular Subtemporal Infratemporal Approach. In Fossett DT, Caputy AJ (Eds) Operative Neurosurgical Anatomy, New York, Thieme, 2002, pp 52-60.
- Avci E, Chanda A, Fossett DT. Approaches to the Posterior Third Ventricle and Pineal Region. In Fossett DT, Caputy AJ (Eds) Operative Neurosurgical Anatomy, New York, Thieme, 2002, pp 100-106.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A, Morita A. The preservation and reconstruction of cerebral veins and sinuses. J Clin Neurosci Jul; 9(4): 391, 2002.
- Nanda A, Vincent D, Vannemreddy PSSV, Baskaya MK, Chanda A. Far lateral approach to intradural foramen magnum lesions without resection of the occipital condyle. Journal of Neurosurgery Vol 96(2) Feb: 302-309, 2002.
- Sekhar LN, Haran RP, Chanda A, Wright DC. Chordomas and chondrosarcomas of the skull base: results and complications of surgical management. Neurosurgical Focus 10(3), Article 2, 2001.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Vascular Problems In Skull Base Surgery. In Fahlbusch R, Buchfelder M (Eds.). The Centre of the Skull Base. Reinbek, Einhorn-Presse Verlag GmbH, 2000; pp 179-188.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Intracranial Aneurysms: Recent Advances in Management. In Goldstein AL (Ed) in Frontiers in Biomedicine. Springer Verlag 2000; pp 325- 349.
- Chanda A, Guha A. “Posterior fossa meningiomas” in Ramamurthy Tandon’s Textbook of Neurosurgery (In Press).
- Chanda A, Sekhar LN, Wright DC, Schessel DA, Prasad S. “Acoustic Neuroma: Microsurgery versus Radiosurgery” to be published in CURRENT CONTENTS. Philadelphia, ISI (Book Chapter in Press)
ABSTRACTS, ORAL AND POSTER PRESENTATIONS
- Bhattacharyya GS, Ranade A, Malhotra H, Babu KG, Shahid T, Parikh PM, Bascomb NF, Chanda A; Continuous metronomic temozolamide with propranolol and etodolac in recurrent glioblastoma: A pilot study. Presented in 2014 ASCO Annual Meeting. Published in J Clin Oncol 32, 2014 (suppl; abstr e13005)
- Chanda A. “Results of Stereotactic Evacuation of Spontaneous Deep Intracerebral Hematoma with Comparison to Other Surgical Methods”. Presented at joint 59th Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India and Congress of Neurological Surgeons held in Jaipur, India from December 16 to December 18, 2010.
- Chanda A, Chanda A. “Aggressive Resection of Pediatric Craniopharyngiomas: Feasibility and Rationality”. Presented at 20th Annual Conference of the Indian Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery and Special Conference of the Korean Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery held in Kolkata, India from November 5, 2009 to November 8, 2009.
- Chanda A. “Partial Labyrinthectomy petrous Apicectomy Approach to Petroclival Region: An Anatomical and Technical Study.” Presented at the competitive paper session in the academic meeting of 70th Annual Reunion of Medical College, Calcutta on January 30, 2004. Received Sukumar Mukherjee award.
- Chanda A, Sekhar LN, Schessel DA. “Anomalous jugular bulb presenting as pulsatile intractable Tinnitus: A treatment proposal”. Presented at the academic meeting of 69th Annual Reunion of Medical College, Calcutta on January 31, 2003.
- Chanda A. “Orbitozygomatic transcavernous approach to basilar artery bifurcation: How beneficial is it from anatomical perspective?” Presented at the competitive paper session in the academic meeting of 69th Annual Reunion of Medical College, Calcutta on January 30, 2003. Received Sukumar Mukherjee award for BEST PAPER.
- Chanda A, Guha A, Gentili F. “Distal intracranial dural-based metastasis of esthesioneuroblastoma: a report of four cases”. Presented at the 8th biennial meeting of Canadian Neuro-oncology Society at Montreal, Quebec, Canada in May 2002.
- Chanda A, Green E, Sarjeant R, Gentili F. “The value of multimodality and cranial nerve monitoring in surgery for cranial base tumors”. Presented at the 13th annual meeting of North American Skull Base Society at San Diego, CA, USA in February 2002.
- Chanda A, Abdallah S, Nanda A. “Microsurgical anatomy of Retrosigmoid Intradural Suprameatal Approach”. Presented as a poster at the 51st annual meeting of Congress of Neurological Surgeons at San Diego, CA in October 2001.
- Nanda A, Chanda A. “Occipital Interhemispheric Approach”. Presented at 2001 annual conference of Society of University Neurosurgeons at Portland, OR, USA in June 2001.
- Chanda A, Sekhar LN, Kalavakonda C, Wright DC, Sen CN. “Chordoma and Chondrosarcoma of Cranial Base: Results of Surgical treatment in 124 cases”. Presented in the PLENARY SESSION of the 2001 annual conference of American Association of Neurological Surgeons in April 2001 at Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Chanda A, Nanda A. “Surgery of Posterior circulation aneurysm: Is it still a viable option? An LSUMC Experience” Presented at the annual conference of Southern Neurosurgical Society in March 2001 at Austin, TX, USA.
- Chanda A, Nanda A. “Partial labyrithectomy petrous apicectomy approach: a morphometric study”. Presented as poster in the annual conference of North American Skull Base Society in March 2001 at Lake Buena Vista, FL, USA.
- Chanda A, Sekhar LN, Schessel DA. “Anomalous jugular bulb causing intractable pulsatile tinnitus: a treatment option”. Presented in the annual conference of North American Skull Base Society in March 2001 at Lake Buena Vista, FL, USA.
- Chanda A, Nanda A. “Orbitozygomatic transcavernous Transsellar Transclinoid approach to basilar artery bifurcation: an anatomic study”. Presented as poster in the annual conference of North American Skull Base Society in March 2001 at Lake Buena Vista, FL, USA.
- Chanda A, Nanda A. “Microsurgical anatomy of Infralabyrinthine approach”. Presented in the annual conference of North American Skull Base Society in March 2001 at Lake Buena Vista, FL, USA.
- Chanda A, Smith DR, Nanda A. “Use of Autotransfusion by Cell Saver Technique in Surgery of Dorsal and Lumbar Fusion with Instrumentation: LSUHSC Experience”. Presented at the annual conference of Louisiana Neurosurgical Society in January 2001 at New Orleans, LA, USA.
- Dogan A, Chanda A, Nanda A. “Far lateral approach for proximal basilar artery aneurysm without resecting the condyle: an LSHSC experience”. Presented at the annual conference of Louisiana Neurosurgical Society in January 2001 at New Orleans, LA, USA.
- Nanda A, Chanda A. “Occipital interhemispheric approach revisited”. Presented at the annual conference of Louisiana Neurosurgical Society in January 2001 at New Orleans, LA, USA.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Microsurgery of the Cavernous Sinus discussed in Breakfast seminar (#414) in the annual conference of American Association of Neurological Surgeons 2000 at San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Evolution and Future of Skull Base Surgery – Presented in the 5th Asian-Oceanian International Congress on Skull Base Surgery in November 1999 in Mumbai, India.
- Chanda A, Sekhar LN, Wright DC, Schessel DA, Prasad S. “Acoustic Neuroma: Microsurgery versus radiosurgery”. Presented in 3rd annual International conference of Acoustic neuroma and other CPA tumors held in Rome, Italy in June 1999.
- Bakir A, Sekhar LN, Chanda A, Wright DC. “Meningioma of Olfactory groove, Planum and Tuberculum sellae: Analysis of results of surgery by Skull Base approach”. Presented in annual conference of Turkish Neurosurgical society in May 1999 held at Ankara, Turkey.
- Chanda A. “Abnormalities of water and electrolyte homeostasis in severe traumatic brain injuries” in annual conference of ASOH held at Panipat, India in November 1998.
- Chanda A, Momen SA. “ Diagnosis of bleeding per rectum: a clinical study ” in All India annual conference of Association of Surgeons of India, in December 1991, held in Hyderabad, India
- Chanda A, Momen SA. “Surgeries for anal fissure ” in conference of International College of Surgeons in June 1991, held in Siliguri, India (AWARD WINNING PAPER).
- Nanda A, Chanda A. Comments on Kawamata et al, “Patent foramen ovale as a possible risk factor for cryptogenic brain abscess: report of two cases” in Neurosurgery, Vol 49, No 1, 206-207, 2001.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Comments on Strauss C et al, “Clinical and neurophysiological observations after superior petrosal vein obstruction during surgery of the cerebellopontine angle: Case report” in Neurosurgery, Vol 48, No 5, 1160-1161, 2001.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Comments on Villavicencio AT et al “Utility of three-dimensional computed tomographic angiography for assessment of relationships between the vertebrobasilar system and the cranial base” in Neurosurgery, Vol 48, No 2, 326-327, 2001.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Comments on Solero et al “Combined anterior craniofacial resection for tumors involving the cribriform plate: early postoperative complications and technical considerations” in Neurosurgery, Vol 47, No 6, 1304-1305, 2000.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Comments on Carvalho GA et al “Subarachnoid fat dissemination after resection of a cerebellopontine angle dysontogenic cyst: Case report and review of the literature” in Neurosurgery, Vol 47, No. 3, pp 763-764, 2000.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Comments on Sure U et al “Advanced Image-guided Skull Base Surgery” in Surgical Neurology, Vol. 53, No. 6, pp 572, 2000.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Comments on DeMonte F et al “Primary Malignant Tumors of the Sphenoid Sinus” in Neurosurgery, Vol. 46, No. 5, pp 1091-1092, 2000.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Comments on Miyake H et al “A New Technique for Cranioplasty with L-shaped Titanium Plates and Combination Ceramic Implants Composed of Hydroxyapatite and Tricalcium Phosphate (Ceratite)” in Neurosurgery, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp 418, 2000.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Comments on Desai KI et al “Primary Ewing’s sarcoma of the Cranium” in Neurosurgery, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp68-69, 2000.
- Sekhar LN, Chanda A. Comments on Ross DA et al “Use of Hydroxyapatite Bone Cement to Prevent Cerebrospinal Fluid Leakage Through the Frontal Sinus: Technical Report” in Neurosurgery, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp 401-403, 1999.
Key Procedures Performed
- Pioneer of Awake Brain surgery for Brain Tumors in Eastern India and Bangladesh.
Rare/ Unique Skills
- Professional Singer
- Music- Vocals (eastern )
- Games- soccer, cricket
- Social work
Bengali, English, Hindi