Dr. Shreya Bhattacharya is a Head and Neck Onco and Reconstructive Surgeon with 15 years of experience in the field. She received her MCH in Head and Neck Oncology from Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kerala, one of the foremost centers of excellence for training in ablative and reconstructive Head and Neck surgery. This is the highest superspeciality degree course in this field. She then went on to do an advanced fellowship in Head and Neck reconstructive microsurgery from Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth, Western Australia.
Dr. Bhattacharya participates in the entire breadth of a Head and neck cancer surgery, reconstructive micro surgery, salivary gland and thyroid surgery , Skull base surgery and speech & swallowing rehabilitation. She has worked as teaching faculty and dissertation guide for superspeciality training programmes.
She has published several articles in national and international journeys and serves as a reviewer for many of them. She also has quite a few book chapters to her name.
She is a MBBS gold medalist and won several accolades for her paper/ poster/video presentations in various national conferences.She also bagged the FHNO 2015 gold medal for best clinical research presentation.
- MCH (Head and Neck Surgery)
- Microvascular fellowship (Australia)
Post held in past
- Consultant Surgical Oncology, Max Superspeciality Hospital, New Delhi
- Assistant Professor Surgical Oncology AIIMS Rishikesh
- Senior Fellow, The Head & Neck and Skull base centre, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Western Australia
Fields of Expertise
- Oral( Lip, Tongue, Jaw, buccal Cancer)
- Pharyngeal and Laryngeal Cancer
- Parotid, Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgeries
- Sinus and Skull base Surgeries
- Micro Vascular ( Plastic) Surgery
- Swallowing Disorders and Rehabilitation.
Awards & Recognition
- FHNO Gold Medal for Clinical Research Presentation - Foundation of Head-neck Oncology
- Video Presentation Prize -Indian Cancer Congress
- Gold Medalist in Pathology in 2nd Year MBBS-2004
- Gold Medalist in ENT in 3rd Year MBBS- 2005
- Gold Medalist in Postgraduate ENT Quiz in All India ENT Conference
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Foundation of Head and Neck Oncology
- Australian Society of Head and Neck Surgery
- Asia Pacific Society of Thyroid Surgery
- Indian Society of Oncology
- International Federation of Head and Neck Oncologic Societies
- Bhattacharya S, Thankappan K, Joseph ST, Sukumaran SV, Shetty S, Mayadevi M, Balasubramanian D, Iyer S. Volume and Location of the Defect as Predictors of Swallowing Outcome After Glossectomy: Correlation with a Classification. Dysphagia. 2021 Jan 2. doi: 10.1007/s00455-020-10224-w.
- Bhattacharya S, Thankappan K, Sukumaran SV, Mayadevi M, Balasubramanian D, Iyer S. Volume and location of the defect as predictors of speech outcome after glossectomy: correlation with a classification. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2021 Mar 10:S0901-5027(21)00089-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ijom.2021.02.026.
- Thankappan K, Bhattacharya S, Iyer S. Role of reinnervation in the functional outcomes after glossectomy reconstruction. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2022 Sep 5:S0901-5027(22)00350-2.
- Chakravarti A, Bhargava R, Bhattacharya S. Cutaneous mucormycosis of nose and facial region in children: a case series. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2013 May;77(5):869-72
- Bhattacharya S, Vidhyadharan S, Thankappan K, Iyer S. Cross-Cheek Dumbbell-Shaped Radial Forearm Flap for Simultaneous Correction of Oral Cancer and Submucous Fibrosis. Craniomaxillofacial Trauma Reconstruction. 2016 Jun;9(2):162-5.
- Book Chapter- Guidelines in the Management of Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Shreya Bhattacharya, Krishnakumar Thankappan. Basic concepts in Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology. Jaypee Brothers Medical Pub; 1 edition (May 31, 2015)
- Book Chapter- Principals of Thyroid Surgery. Shreya Bhattacharya, Krishnakumar Thankappan. Basic concepts in Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology. Jaypee Brothers Medical Pub; 1 edition (May 31, 2015)
- Book Chapter- Principles in the management of Head and Neck Cancer. Shreya Bhattacharya, Krishnakumar Thankappan .Dysphagia Management in Head and Neck cancers. Springer; 1st ed. 2018 edition (May 30, 2018)
- Bhattacharya S, Chaturvedi H. Three-way Pectoralis Major Osteo-Myo-Cutaneous flap in oral cancer: an option revisited. International journal of oral health sciences.2021.
- Bhattacharya S, Panuganti A, Thankappan K, Balasubramanian D, Iyer S. Pectoralis major myocutaneous flap in females: Report of the technique and literature review. J Head Neck Physicians Surg 2021;9:159‐62.
Key Procedures Performed
- Microvascular Free Flap Surgery
- Complex Head and Neck Cancer Ablative Surgery
- Advanced Thyroid Surgery with Tracheal Resection/ Reconstruction
- Craniofacial Resection
- Laryngectomy and Voice Rehabilitation
English, Hindi, Bengali, Kannada, Malayalam