Dr Digvijoy Sharma is a consultant surgical gastroenterologist and minimal access surgeon. He completed his masters in surgery from Kasturba Medical College , Manipal and thereafter served as assistant professor in the Department of General surgery and surgical oncology. He did his G.I and hepatobiliary surgery superspecialization from the renowned Nizams Institute of Medical sciences, Hyderabad. He also holds fellowships in minimal access surgery. He has vast experience in dealing with complex cases involving liver, pancreas, gastrointestinal and biliary tract with special interest in G.I and HPB cancers. He routinely performs upper and lower G.I endoscopies along with endoscopic interventions (biopsy,EVL,APC,sclerotherapy etc).
On the academic front he has published mutiple papers in indexed journals and has presented papers in national and international conferences.
He has also delivered talks on G.I and HPB diseases in various CMEs and conferences.
About the Department of GI-HPB (Gastro-Intestinal and Hepato-Pancreatico-biliary) Surgery
GI-HPB surgery is highly evolved and specialized area of surgery that deals with surgical problems of the digestive system which includes organs like Esophagus, Stomach, Small intestine, Large intestine, Rectum, Anal canal, Liver, Pancreas, Gall bladder and Bile duct.
The Gastrointestinal And Hepatopancreaticobiliary (HPB)Surgery department at NH, Guwahati is equipped with the most modern facilities, and carries out almost all major Gatrointestinal, Hepatobiliary, and Pancreatic procedures with excellent outcomes.
The unit performs the entire gamut of operations for both benign and malignant diseases of the GI tract and HPB organs: cholecystectomy, appendectomy, hernia surgery, oesophagectomy, gastrectomy, pancreaticoduodenectomy, hepatectomy, radical cholecystectomy, colectomies and rectal resections etc.
Complex HPB surgeries like hepaticojejunostomy, surgery for chronic pancreatitis, shunt surgeries for portal hypertension etc are routinely performed.
We provide advanced laparoscopic surgical techniques to patients with various gastrointestinal conditions including gastrointestinal cancers.
Our department has pioneered the multi-disciplinary management of GI cancers in this part of the country with multi-disciplinary teams (MDTs). The use of neoadjuvant treatments, where appropriate, as determined by our multi-discplinary teams, continue to improve patient outcomes.The department also performs a large number of diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopies.
Dr. Sharma is the Lead Consultant and Head of the department of Surgical Gastroenterology & G.I Oncology at Narayana Superspeciality Hospital, Guwahati. He has performed more than 800 major Surgical Procedures with excellent outcomes in last 2yrs.
Field of Expertise
- Gastrointestinal Cancers.
- Liver and Pancreas Cancers.
- Portal Hypertension Surgeries.
- Biliary tract Surgeries.
- Weight loss Surgeries.
- Adult Intussusception : a six year experience at a single center. annals of gastroenterology.
- evaluation of patients with perforation peritonitis using manheim’s peritonitis index. international journal of scientific and research publications.
- Biliary Cystadenoma: A rare entity of common misdiagnosis. Tropical Gastroenterology.
- Predictive factors for conversion from laparoscopic to open cholecystectomy: an institutional study. International Surgery journal.
- Intestinal Obstruction Secondary To Duodenal Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumour. Webmed Central. Gastroenterology
- Malrotation with transverse colon volvulus in early pregnancy: A rare cause for acute intestinal obstruction.
- Intestinal Endometriosis mimicking appendicites: a case report and review of literature. Surgery Chronicles
Assamese, English, Hindi and Bengali