Dr. Swatantra Rao is an experienced Urologist with more than 6 years of experience, trained at the most prestigious institute, PGIMER & Dr. RML Hospital, New Delhi. He is highly experienced in the field of endo-urology, Uro-oncology, Reconstructive male & Female urology, Neuro-urology, Androgy & Male infertility, Renal transplant and Minimal access Urological Surgeries. He has done his MBBS from VMMC & Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, MS (General surgery) and M. Ch (Urology) from PGIMER and Dr. RML Hospital, New Delhi. Previously, he was Assistant Professor in department of Urology, Robotics and Renal transplant, VMMC & Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi. Not only he is a great clinician but an excellent academician too. He has many publications in national and international journals. He has been an active member of many national and international Accademic urological organisation.
Currently he is working as Consultant Urology, Andrology & Renal transplant in Narayana Superspeciality Hospital, Gurugram. Dr. Swatantra Rao is known for his calm and caring attitude towards all his patients.
- MBBS - VMMC & Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi
- MS (General Surgery) - PGIMER & Dr. RML Hospital, New Delhi
- M. Ch (Urology ) - PGIMER & Dr. RML Hospital, New Delhi
Post held in past
- Assistant Professor- Department of Urology, Robotics & Renal transplant, VMMC & Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi
- Post M.Ch (Urology) Senior Resident, Department of Urology & Renal transplant, PGIMER & Dr. RML Hospital, New Delhi
Fields of Expertise
- Renal transplant
- Reconstructive male & female urology
- Pediatric urology
- Andrology & male infertility
- Minimal access urological surgeries
Awards & Recognition
- First prize in surgical quiz presentation in national conference (Surgicon, 21st-23rd November 2014).
- Long term results of everted saphenous vein graft (eSVG) urethroplasty. Poster presentation in UAA 15th-17th October 2020 held in Seoul, Korea.
- Early outcomes of autologous everted saphenous vein graft (eSVG) versus oral mucosal graft in urethroplasty for long anterior urethral stricture: A prospective comparative study. Paper presentation in USICON 18th-21st January 2018 held in Jaipur, Rajasthan, India.
- Operative techniques and details of saphenous vein graft urethroplasty. Video presentation in USICON 18th-21st January 2018 held in Jaipur, Rajasthan, India.
- Post traumatic complex uro-genital fistula in a female paediatric patient: An urologist nightmare. Poster presentation in North Zone USICON 3rd-5th November 2017 held in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India.
- Is saphenous vein graft an option for urethroplasty in tobacco exposed mucosa? Results of autologous saphenous vein graft versus buccal mucosal graft in urethroplasty for long anterior urethral stricture. Video presentation in North Zone USICON 3rd-5th November 2017, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India.
- A comparative study of Marshall Score versus APACHE-II Score in assessing severity of acute pancreatitis. Paper presentation in Surgicon 21st-23rd November 2014 held in Delhi, India.
- A rare case of Gastro-cholic fistula. Poster presentation in Surgicon 21st-23rd November 2014 held in Delhi, India.
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Member of Urological Society of India (USI)
- Member of North Zone Urological Society of India (NZUSI)
- Member of Delhi Urological Society (DUS)
- Member of American Urological Association
- Member of Indian Medical Association (IMA)
- Member of ethical committee of Indian Fertility Society (IFS)
Publication (Original Research):
- A comparative study of Marshall score versus APACHE-II score in assessing severity of acute pancreatitis. Rao SN, Gupta AK, Karigoudar A, Gupta N, Durga CK. Hellenic Journal of Surgery (2016) 88:1,5-12.
- Looking beyond oral mucosa: Initial results of everted saphenous vein graft urethroplasty (eSVGU) in long anterior urethral strictures. Akhtar A, Khattar N, Goel H, Rao S, Tanwar R, Sood R. Arab Journal of Urology (2017) 15:3,228-235.
- Everted saphenous vein graft for long anterior urethral stricture in men with tobacco exposed oral mucosa: A prospective nonrandomized study. Rao SN, Khattar N, Akhtar A, Goel H, Varshney A, Sood R. Indian Journal of Urology (2019) 35:2,134-140.
- Effect of modifiable risk factors on semen parameters. Prasad S, Rao SN, Prasad S. Fertility science and research (2019) 6:1,10-15.
- Neurological safety and efficacy of darifenacin and mirabegron for the treatment of overactive bladder in patients with history of cerebrovascular accident: A prospective study. Vasudeva P, Kumar A, Yadav S, Kumar N, Chaudhry N, Prasad V, Nagendra Rao S, Yadav P, Patel S. Neurourol Urodyn. 2021 Sep 13. doi: 10.1002/nau.24793.
- Everted saphenous vein graft (eSVG) urethroplasty in long segment anterior urethral strictures: Medium term follow up results. Rao SN, Khattar N, Akhtar A, Varshney A, Goel H. Urological Science (2021)32:3,117-124.
Key Procedures Performed
- Endo-urological procedures: PCNL, Mini-PCNL, RIRS, URSL, URS biopsy in ureteric malignancy, Laser Endopyelotomy, TURBT, Ureterocele incision, PC-CLT/PUCLT, TURP, KTP/PVP for prostate, HoLEP, DVIU and Endodilatation.
- Reconstructive procedures: Pyeloplasty, Uretero-ureterostomy, Ureteric re-implat, Augmentation cystoplasty, Vesico-vaginal fistula repair, End to end Urethroplasty, Augmented/Substitution urethroplasty, Staged urethroplasty, Hypospadias repair, Epispadias repair, Urethra-cutaneous fistula repair, Plaque excision for pyeronies disease, Orchidopexy, Meatotomy, Meatoplasty, Female urethroplasty, Tans-Obturator Tape/Sling for stress urinary incontinence, Cystocele repair, caruncle and paraurethral cyst excision.
- Uro-oncological procedures: Radical Nephrectomy, Nephroureterectomy with bladder cuff excision, Radical cystectomy with ileal conduit/Orthotopic Neobladder, Bladder Diverticulectomy, Partial/Total Penectomy, Urethrectomy, Radical or high inguinal orchidectomy.
- Laparoscopic procedures: Pyeloplasty, Nephrectomy, Radical Nephrectomy, Nephrouretrectomy, Pyelolithotomy, Ureterolithotomy, Ureteric re-implantation and Vesico-vaginal fistula repair.
- Andrology and male Infertility: Sub-inguinal varicocelectomy, Laparoscopic varicocelectomy, Testicular Biopsy, PESA, TESA and TESE.
- Renal transplant
- Others : A-V fistula formation, Percutaneous Nephrostomy, Renal Biopsy, Suprapubic catheterization, 12 core TRUS biopsy of prostate and Urodynamic studies.
Rare/ Unique Skills
- Urinary tract infection
- Kidney, Ureter and Bladder stones
- Benign Prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- Prostate Cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Bladder Cancer
- Penile cancers
- Testicular cancers
- Pelvi Uretric Junction Obstruction (PUJO)
- Urethral Stricture
- Uretric stricture
- Hypospadias and epispadias
- Undescended testis
- Pyronies disease
- Sex Related problems (Erectile dysfunction, Pre-mature ejaculation, Urethral discharge and Dhat syndrome)
- Male infertility
- TURP (For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia)
- TURBT (For Urinary Bladder tumor)
- PCNL & RIRS (For Kidney stones)
- URSL (For Uretric stones)
- PU-CLT & PC-CLT (For Bladder stones)
- DVIU (For small segment urethral strictures)
- Pyeloplasty (For Pelvi Ureteric Junction Obstruction)
- Pyelolithotomy (For Pelvic stones)
- Uretrolithotomy (For Large Ureteric stones)
- Ureteric re-implantation (For Lower Ureteric Strictures/Obstruction)
- Simple Nephrectomy (For Non-Functioning Kidney)
- Radical Nephrectomy (For Kidney cancer)
- Nephrouretrectomy (For Upper tract cancers)
- Radical Cystectomy (For Muscle invasive Bladder cancers)
- Orchidectomy (For Testicular cancers)
- Penectomy (For Penile cancer)
- Genito-urinary fistula repair
- Urethroplasty (For urethral strictures)
- Hypospadias Repair
- Penile curvature (Chordee ) correction
- Orchidopexy (For Undescended testis) & Testicular Biopsy
- AV-Fistula Formation in CKD patients
- Kidney transplant