She is a trained Head & Neck surgeon and oncologist from Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, which is the most prestigious institutions for cancer care, research and education in India and also has an undeniable international standing. She graduated from Lady Harding Medical College, New Delhi and completed her Masters in Otorhinolaryngology from Safdarjung Hospital and Vardhman Mahavir Medical College, Delhi, one of the busiest educational institutions. She is also Diplomat of National Board in Otorhinolaryngology. Following her post graduation, She did senior residency at Aruna Asaf Ali Government Hospital, Delhi. She had a keen interest in head and neck oncology and joined Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai as a Senior Research Fellow. She conducted high quality research in the field of head and neck cancers. She was part of various randomized and non randomized trials and was involved in clinical and translational research. She also presented her research at various national and international conferences. She is from the first batch of MCh program in Head & Neck Surgery at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai. This is the highest superspeciality degree course in this field and was started at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, for the first time in India. Following completion of MCh, she spent one year in the department of head neck surgery, as specialist senior registrar. During her MCh program, apart from the routine surgeries, she excelled in managing complicated, difficult, re-do Head & Neck resections and trained in plastic & reconstructive surgery. She published articles in various peer reviewed national and international journals and wrote chapters in various books at national and international level. She is review editor for an international peer reviewed journal. She is a member of ICMR guideline committee which formulated the ICMR guidelines on tongue cancers. She is member of many prestigious professional bodies. She has delivered invited lectures, moderated sessions, participated in panel discussions and did surgical demonstrations at reputed national and international conferences. She has been involved in the training of younger doctors and nurses. Following her extensive training she joined National cancer institute, Nagpur as a Senior consultant and Head & Neck Oncosurgeon .
Key Procedures Performed
- All Head & Neck cancer surgeries including those for oral cavity, thyroid, larynx, neck and parotid cancers. LASER procedures, simple and complex Head & Neck reconstruction, post laryngectomy voice rehabilitation with tracheo-esophageal puncture prosthesis and troubleshooting of prosthesis related problems.
Rare / Unique Skills
- She has an expertise in managing voice prosthesis related problems following laryngectomy for larynx cancers and has conducted several teaching courses on post laryngectomy rehabilitation across the country. Surgery for “thyroid pathologies” is another area of her expertise. She has been trained under very fine thyroid surgeons and has acquired the similar skills. She conducted thyroid preceptorship programs at regular interval, in which surgeons from all over the country were taught various aspects of thyroid cancer management. She has an extensive experience in managing oral cancers as she worked in a high volume center where more than 1000 oral cancer surgeries are being performed annually. She had been a co-investigator for several randomized and non-randomized trials. She has published more than 20 original and review articles in journals and has written chapters in various books at national and international level.
Awards & Recognition
- Best Oral presentation award at 1st Congress of Asia Pacific Society Of Thyroid Surgery, APTS, Korea, November 2015.
- International travel grant by the organizers to present a paper at 1st Congress of Asia-Pacific Society of Thyroid Surgery,( APTS), Korea 2015.
- International travel grant by Science & Engineering research board to present a paper at “IFHNOS 5th world congress American Head & Neck Society (AHNS) annual meeting, New York, July 2014 .
- International travel grant by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) & Sam Mistry Fund to present a paper in 8th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, American Head and Neck Society, Toronto, Canada, July 2012
- Conference Scholarship to attend 11th Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology (FHNO), Mumbai, 2011.
1. Sharma S, Chaukar D, Laskar SG, et al. The role of Pectoralis Major Myofascial flap in preventing Pharyngocutaneous Fistula following Salvage Laryngectomy. Journal of Laryngology otology. 2016;130(9):860-4.
2. D’Cruz AK, Sharma S, Rath GK et al. Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) Consensus Document for the Management of Tongue Cancer. Indian Journal Of Medical And Pediatric Oncology. 2015;36(3):140-45.
3. Sayed SS, Sharma S, Rane P, Vaishampayan S, Talole S, Chaturvedi P et al. Can Metastatic Lymph Node Ratio (LNR) Predict Survival in Oral cavity cancer Patients? Journal of Surgical Oncology 2013;9999:1–8.
4. D’cruz AK, Sharma S, Pai PS. Current status of near-total laryngectomy: review. The Journal of Laryngology & Otology (2012), 126, 556–562.
5. Sharma S, Deshmukh A D, Bal M, Chaukar D A ,D’cruz A K. Angiosarcoma of scalp associated with Xeroderma pigmentosum. Indian Journal Of Medical And Pediatric Oncology. 2012;33(2):126-29.
6. Sharma S, Chaukar DA. International Federation of Head Neck Oncology Society 5th World Congress/American Head Neck Society 2014 update. Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology . 2014;35(3):228-230.
7. Shah S, Sharma S, D’Cruz AK. Head and Neck Oncology: The Indian Scenario. South Asian Journal of Cancer. 2016;5(3):104-105.
8. Laskar SG, Chaukar D, Deshpande M, Chatterjee A, Hawaldar R, Chakraborty S, Sharma S, et al. Phase III randomized trial of surgery followed by conventional radiotherapy (5 fr/Wk) (Arm A) vs concurrent chemoradiotherapy (Arm B) vs accelerated radiotherapy (6fr/Wk) (Arm C) in locally advanced, stage III and IV, resectable, squamous cell carcinoma of oral cavity- oral cavity adjuvant therapy (OCAT): Final results (NCT00193843). J Clin Oncol 34, 2016
9. Sawant S, Dongre H, Ahire C, Sharma S, Jamghare S, Kansara Y, Rane P, Kanojia D, Patil A, Chaukar D, Gupta S, D'Cruz A, Vaidya M, Dongre P. Alterations in desmosomal adhesion at protein and ultrastructure levels during the sequential progressive grades of human oral tumorigenesis. Eur J Oral Sci. 2018 Aug;126(4):251-262.
10. Sawant SS, Dongre H, Ahire C, Sharma S, et al. A nomogram for predicting the risk of neck node metastasis in pathologically node-negative oral cavity carcinoma. Oral Dis. 2017 Nov;23(8):1087-1098
Professional Memberships& Certifications
- Asia-Pacific Society of Thyroid Surgery, ( APTS)
- Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology (FHNO), India
- Indian Thyroid society (ITS)
- Association of otorhinolaryngologists of India (AOI)
English and Hindi