He is an extensively trained gastrointestinal, hepatobiliary, laparoscopic and cancer surgeon, with an experience of 15 years. He graduated from Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi and completed his Masters in Surgery from Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi. He was a Senior Resident in the Department of Surgery at Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi and continued as an Assistant Professor of Surgery in the same Department at Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi. He had a keen interest in Gastrointestinal Surgery and completed DNB in Surgical Gastroenterology from the most sought after “Department of Surgical Gastroenterology and Liver Transplantation” at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, where he gained an immense experience in the surgical management of complicated gastrointestinal problems. He had a keen interest in Gastrointestinal and Hepatobiliary cancers and pursued his postdoctoral two-year certified (HBNI) fellowship degree in GI and HPB Oncology from the premier Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai. He continued as a lecturer for another year in GI and HPB cancer service and as a Specialist Senior Resident in Colorectal cancer service in the Department of Surgical Oncology, at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai. During his four year stay at Tata Memorial Hospital, he gained immense experience in the multidisciplinary evidence-based management of gastrointestinal and hepato-pancreatico-biliary cancers, apart from performing several open and laparoscopic oncological procedures for these cancers. During his stay in colorectal service, he furthered his skills in robotic and laparoscopic colorectal surgery and cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for peritoneal surface malignancies.
He was a co-investigator in various clinical trials. He has several peer reviewed publications in national and international journals and book chapters to his credit.
He has worked in the capacity of an independent gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary surgeon in various reputed hospitals. He joined National cancer institute, Nagpur as a Senior consultant, GI and HPB Oncosurgery and later joined Indraprastha Apollo, Delhi as a Consultant in the Department of GI surgery and GI Oncology.
Positions held (after completing postgraduation)
- Senior Resident, General Surgery, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi- 3 years
- Assistant Professor, General Surgery, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi- 1 year
- DNB resident, Department of Surgical Gastroenterology and Liver Transplantation, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi- 3 years
- Post-doctoral (HBNI) Fellow, GI and HPB Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai- 2 years
- Specialist Senior Resident, Colorectal Service, Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai- 1 year
- Lecturer, GI and HPB Service, Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai- 1 year
- Consultant, Department of GI Surgery, Apollo Hospital, New Delhi- 6 months
- Senior Consultant, GI and HPB Oncosurgery, National Cancer Institute, Nagpur- 2 years
MBBS, MS, DNB (GI Surgery), Postdoctoral (HBNI) Fellowship GI and HPB Oncology (Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai)
Fields of Expertise
He has extensive experience in the field of Surgical Gastroenterology, GI and HPB Oncosurgery, advanced minimal access procedures including robotic surgeries. He has extensively trained at the premier and the most sought after departments of excellence and training in India. He has completed his DNB in Surgical Gastroenterology from the Department of Surgical Gastroenterology and Liver Transplantation at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi. He completed his Post-doctoral two year certified HBNI fellowship in Gastro-intestinal and Hepato-pancreaticobiliary Oncology from the Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai. This is the only fellowship of its kind in the country and entrance to this program is merit based. He is a committed researcher and has been a co-investigator in various clinical trials. He has presented his work at reputed national and international conferences. He has published various articles in national and international peer-reviewed journals and has contributed chapters in various books. He is committed to providing excellent service, do quality research and train youngsters in the field of GI and HPB surgery and Onco-surgery.
Awards & Recognition
1. Awarded the prize for best poster at the annual Indian chapter of International Hepatopancreaticobiliary Association in 2014
2. Awarded the 2nd prize for the poster presented at Annual Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology in 2012
3. Awarded the travel grant by ICMR to attend International Liver Transplantation Society Annual conference in 2012
4. Awarded the Bursary to attend Annual Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology in 2012
5. “National Talent Search Examination” award for the year 1994
Professional Memberships& Certifications
1. Associations of Surgeons of India (ASI) life time member
2. Delhi Oncology forum
- Mitra A, Pai E, Dusane R, Ranganathan P, DeSouza A, Goel M, Shrikhande SV. Extended pancreatectomy as defined by the ISGPS: useful in selected cases of pancreatic cancer but invaluable in other complex pancreatic tumors. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2018 Mar;403(2):203-212. doi: 10.1007/s00423-018-1653-6.
- Mitra A, Shrikhande SV, Sirohi B. Histopathological regression after taxane based neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with resectable gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction adenocarcinoma. Transl Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017 May 16;2:46.
- van Rijssen LB, Gerritsen A, Henselmans I, Sprangers MA, Jacobs M, Bassi C, Busch OR, Fernández-Del Castillo C, Fong ZV, He J, Jang JY, Javed AA, Kim SW, Maggino L, Mitra A, et al. COPRAC study group. Core Set of Patient-reported Outcomes in Pancreatic Cancer (COPRAC): An International Delphi Study Among Patients and Health Care Providers. Ann Surg. 2017 Dec 19. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000002633.
- Agarwal V, Thomas MJ, Joshi R, Chaudhari V, Bhandare M, Mitra A, Shrikhande SV et al. Improved Outcomes in 394 Pancreatic Cancer Resections: the Impact of Enhanced Recovery Pathway. J Gastrointest Surg. 2018 Oct;22(10):1732-1742. doi: 10.1007/s11605-018-3809-7.
- Bhambre R, Mitra A, Tamankar A, Desouza A, Saklani A. Impact of Length of Distal Margin on Outcomes Following Sphincter Preserving Surgery for Middle and Lower Third Rectal Cancers. Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology. Accepted for publication
- Shinde R, Bhamre R, Niyogi D, Mitra A, Desouza A, Ostwal V, Engineer R, Dusane R, Saklani A. Does histology dictate outcomes of locally advanced rectal adenocarcinoma with complete pathological response following neoadjuvant chemoradiation? J Radiat Oncol (2018) 7: 85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13566-017-0341-4.
- Mitra A, Yadav A, Mehta N, Varma V, Kumaran V, Nundy S. Complicated perianal sepsis. Indian J Surgery. Indian J Surg. 2015 Dec;77(Suppl 3):769-73.
- Sirohi B, Mitra A, Jagannath P, Singh A, Ramadvar M, Kulkarni S, Goel M, Shrikhande SV. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced gallbladder cancer. Future Oncol. 2015 May;11(10):1501-9.
- Mitra A, De’souza A, Goel M, Shrikhande SV. Surgery for pancreatic and periampullary carcinoma. Indian Journal of Surgery. 2015 Oct;77(5):371-80
- Sirohi B, Barreto SG, Singh A, Batra S, Mitra A, Rastogi S, Ramadwar M, Shetty N, Goel M, Shrikhande SV. Epirubicin, oxaliplatin, and capectabine is just as "MAGIC"al as epirubicin, cisplatin, and fluorouracil perioperative chemotherapy for resectable locally advanced gastro-oesophageal cancer. J Cancer Res Ther. 2014 Oct-Dec;10(4):866-70.
Key Procedures Performed
- Conventional and laparoscopic gastrointestinal and HPB procedures
- Advanced laparoscopic and robotic cancer surgeries
- Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC)
Rare/ Unique Skills
- He has a certified two year Postdoctoral Fellowship in Gastro-intestinal and Hepatico-Pancreatico-Biliary oncology from the premier cancer institute, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai. This is the only fellowship program for Gastro-intestinal and Hepatico-Pancreatico-Biliary cancers in the country.
- He has a distinct experience of managing the GI and HPB cancers in a multidisciplinary and evidence-based manner.
- He is very skilled in performing various conventional, laparoscopic and robotic cancer surgeries for Gastro-intestinal and Hepatico-Pancreatico-Biliary cancers. He is also well trained and experienced in performing cytoreductive surgeries for peritoneal surface malignancies of gastrointestinal origin.