One of the major medical technological breakthroughs in the last 50 years is the development of Heart-Lung Machine. This was devised to maintain the human body in living condition, even when the heart and lungs are not functioning. The removal of carbon dioxide from and addition of oxygen to the blood takes place through it. This enables the surgeon to make necessary cardiac repairs. A perfusionist is a skilled allied health professional, trained and educated specifically as a member of an open-heart surgical team, responsible for the selection, setup and operation of a Heart-Lung Machine and other life support system like IABP, LVAD, RVAD & ECMO.
- Two year Pre-University examination or equivalent as recognized by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences with, Physics, Chemistry and Biology as subjects of study. OR
- Pre-Degree course from a recognized University considered as equivalent by RGUHS, (Two years after ten years of schooling) with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as subjects of study. OR
- Any equivalent examination recognized by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore for the above purpose with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as subjects of study. OR
- The vocational higher secondary education course conducted by Vocational Higher Secondary Education, Government of Kerala with five subjects including Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English in addition to vocational subjects conducted is considered equivalent to plus TWO examinations of Government of Karnataka Pre University Course. OR
- Lateral entry to second year- candidates who have passed diploma program in the same subjects from a recognized Government Board, approved by RGUHS.
B.Sc. COURSE CURRICULUM
- Human Anatomy
- Pathology – (Clinical Pathology, Hematology & Blood - Banking)
- Medicine relevant to perfusion technology
- Section A. Applied Pathology Section B. Applied Microbiology
- Applied Pharmacology
- Introduction to Perfusion Technology
- Perfusion Technology – Clinical
- Perfusion Technology – Applied
- Perfusion Technology – Advanced