Asthma is an inflammatory disorder of the airways causing symptoms such as cough, wheezing, chest tightness and shortness of breath.
Asthma may present itself at any age.
Acute attack get precipitated on exposure to various allergens or due to infections( mostly viral)
One must adopt a healthy lifestyle, avoid known allergens, dust, smoke, and follow doctor advice.
IN THE ERA OF – COVID-19 PANDEMIC, FEW TIPS FOR ASTHMA PATIENT.
- NOT TO PANIC
- STAY HOME AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. As there is no definite treatment of COVID-19, avoiding being exposed to the virus is the best way to prevent illness.
- Patients with moderate to severe disease are more prone to have a severe form of COVID-19 infection.
- Continue your INHALER [ MDI ( metered-dose inhaler) / DPI( dry powder inhaler) ] both controller and reliever as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not discontinue or change any medication without medical advice.
- Have a sufficient supply of your medicine and inhaler.
- Avoid Pulmonary function test (PFT) or PEAK Flow testing unless extremely urgent.
- In a recent scenario, avoid unnecessary use of NEBULISATION because it generates aerosol and thus increases the chance of spreading infection. MDI with spacer properly fitted to mouth for adults or spacer with face-mask for children and elderly people is equally effective in relieving symptom during exacerbation ( acute attack)
- Clean your devices, i.e. spacer, nebuliser.
- Take fresh food, vegetables, fruits ( specially Vit-C containing) and Ensure your daily requirement of Vit-D to boost your immunity
- Stay in a well-ventilated room, daily walking for 20min (indoor)
- Maintain cough etiquette, wear a double-layered cloth mask
- Do frequent hand wash with soap
- Use sanitiser that need not be sprayed to avoid asthma-trigger
- In the case of increased breathlessness attend an emergency and get evaluated
STAY HOME – STAY SAFE