Breastfeeding is the ideal way for the new mother and baby to connect. The newborn should be breastfed within the first hour of birth if the delivery was normal, and within 2 hours, if delivered by C-Section.
- What are the health benefits of breastfeeding for the mother and the baby?
The most important aspect of breastfeeding is to build the emotional connection between the mother and the baby. Breast milk helps the baby in overall growth, be it brain or lung development. It allows the baby to build better immunity and combat allergies along with building stronger intestine tolerance.
Breastfeeding helps the new mother as well in terms of creating the emotional bond with her child. It gives the new mother confidence and helps her to get back in shape in an easier way. New mothers who breastfeed regularly faceless complexity during the post-partum period.
- How often should a new mother Breastfeed her newborn?
There is no fixed timeline for breastfeeding. It is recommended that newborns should be fed on demand of the baby or every 2-3 hours.
- What are the supplements which can be used if the mother is unable to breastfeed? How do they impact the baby’s health?
Supplements are not recommended for newborns, as it cannot match up to the health aspects of breast milk. If in case new mothers are not able to feed the baby, we advise them to store the breast milk by refrigerating it for 6-10 hours and then give it to the baby when needed. Stored milk can be used for pre-term babies as well since the health impact is not lost.
- Should a mother Breastfeed her baby when suffering from an ailment such as cold and cough?
It is advisable for the mother to breastfeed her baby even when she is suffering from cold and cough since the virus is not transmitted through the breast milk.
- Till what age should a baby be Breastfed?
The ideal age for breastfeeding the baby is from birth to a minimum of 6 months and maximum of 2 years.
- What is the safe way to store to Breast Milk for a working mother? Is it safe for a baby to consume stored Breast Milk?
Correctly stored breast milk contains the same health benefits and it can be used for pre-term babies as well. The ideal way is to express the milk and refrigerate it for 6-10 hours.
The writer, Dr. Vijay Shankar Sharma, is a consultant neonatologist at Narayana Multispeciality Hospital, Jaipur