Summer is the hottest of all four seasons. In summer, the day becomes long due to early sunrise and late sunset with dry and hot weather.
Summer vacations are perfect for spending time outdoors with family members and friends through sports, picnics, and sites seeing.
But summer can be the most exhausting season of all the seasons. Spending most of the time outdoors leads to exposure to the sun and torrid heat that can cause:
- Dehydration: It is the most common complaint seen in the summer season. Dehydration can be relieved by drinking plenty of liquids.
- Heat rashes: Itchy and painful heat rashes occur during hot and humid summers. Avoiding strenuous activities and a hot environment can alleviate the rashes. Applying talcum powder on rashes also provides relief.
- Heatstroke: It is severe hypothermia characterized by a rise in body temperature to 40 degrees centigrade, nausea, vomiting, confusion, slurred speech, and headache.
- Foot infection: Excessive sweating and bacteria proliferation around the toe and fingers are the reason for foot infection in summer, commonly seen in people who wear shoes most of the time.
- Sunburn: Red and swollen patches of skin that occur due to prolonged exposure to ultraviolet rays from the sun. It can be mild, moderate, or severe based on the sun exposure duration.
Summers may need a makeover in our daily routine and diet habits. We may also need to change our exercise regimen according to the weather. On hot days we sweat a lot which makes us dehydrated. We should include the following summer drinks to replenish our body and to beat the heat during this summer:
- Water: Drinking plenty of water prevents dehydration, muscle cramps, and constipation. Water has no calories making it the best drink to hydrate our body anytime.
- Green tea: Hot or iced green tea is counted as the best beverage as it is full of antioxidants, which protect us from some cancers, stroke, and heart diseases.
- Buttermilk: One of the favorite Indian beverages is buttermilk or chaach. It is a curd-based drink that improves digestion and saves us from the hot summer.
- Coconut water: Sweet coconut water is rich in electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals. This low caloric drink instantly boosts energy levels and improves hydration. Coconut water is rich in minerals that can strengthen bones, maintain blood pressure, and promotes heart health. These properties make coconut water a perfect drink in summer without fear of extra calories intake.
- Sugarcane juice: There is nothing better than a glass of sugarcane juice on a scorching summer. Sugarcane juice contains minerals and nutrients that give instant energy and counters dehydration. It is the best natural treatment for many liver-related conditions.
- Lemonade or nimbu paani: Everyone loves a fresh glass of lemonade on a hot day to fight dehydration. Its taste can be enhanced using mint leaves, salt, sugar, cumin, black pepper, or coriander leaves. Lemon water is a rich source of vitamin C that boosts our immune system. This antioxidant-rich beverage also keeps our skin healthy.
- Watermelon juice: Watermelon is seasonal fruit during summer. Both fruit and its juice are refreshing and have super hydrating properties. Watermelon juice is rich in vitamin A, C, and B6, beta-carotene that boosts immunity, improves heart health, and improves skin and hair health.
- Bael juice: Wood apple or bael juice has a coolant effect and improves dehydration. It also improves our digestion and relieves constipation. It boosts our immunity.
- Kokum juice: This miraculous drink has numerous benefits, such as reducing acidity, relieving heatstroke, managing blood sugar levels, relieving gastric ulcers, and improving skin health.
- Barley water: We can use pearl barley grains to get barley water. It is rich in fibers, vitamins, essential minerals (calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and copper), antioxidants, and phytochemicals. All these properties make barely water a health booster drink. It also reduces cholesterol and blood sugar levels, improves heart health, prevents urinary tract infections, improves digestion, boosts the immune system, instant hydration, and reduces internal body heat.
- Aam Panna: Healthy raw-mango drink is very famous during the summer season. Along with dehydration prevention, it improves digestion and fights diabetes. Aam Panna is rich in vitamin A and B, calcium, potassium, sodium, iron, and magnesium.
- Cucumber water: This healthy and hydrating drink has zero calories and sugar content. Oxidants-rich cucumber drink helps in many chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes, eye degeneration, and health diseases.
During excessive hot days, these hydrating beverages keep you cool and healthy. So, add them to your daily lifestyle to get their unique benefits and enjoy summer to the fullest without any worry.