PCOS refers to a condition of hormonal imbalance amongst women which leads to problems such as irregular periods, difficulty in conceiving, obesity etc. This syndrome affects women during their reproductive age and is being observed frequently in adolescent girls and young women who are most often unaware of the disease and its ill effects.
A major symptom of PCOD or PCOS is irregular or missed periods. This condition can often lead to paused ovulation. Though difficulty in conceiving is one of the effects of PCOS, a plethora of cases indicates that women can still get pregnant while suffering from this condition. Usually, it takes a few years, post the first period for a girl’s menstrual cycle to become regular, so it is even tougher to detect PCOS in girls who have just hit puberty.
Imbalance in hormone levels in young women during PCOS can lead to the following symptoms:-
- Difficulty in maintaining the normal weight/ being overweight/ obesity.
- Acne or clogged pores
- High blood pressure, diabetes or high cholesterol
- A condition called hirsutism where extra facial hair might appear
- Mood Swings
- Irregular periods
If a patient experiences any such symptoms, the very first thing she should do is consult a gynaecologist. The doctor will be able to assess the situation more efficiently and prescribe the treatment as per requirement. Treatment of PCOD is very much possible and the process might involve the following aspects:-
- Change in eating habits and switching to more healthy foods
- Light exercising to cut down on calories
- Prescribing medicines that contain certain female hormones such as estrogen or progesterone or medicines to make your body use the insulin produced in a better manner.
- Correcting the sleep cycle may also help.
- Quitting smoking and drinking is also recommended.
Difficulty in conceiving a baby is one of the major effects of PCOS. Many women delay the doctor consultation even after recognizing the symptoms and hence face such risks. Therefore treatment of PCOS should be started as early as possible so that the woman does not face such problems in the future.