Kidneys help to filter blood and remove all the harmful toxins, fluids, and wastes from the body. The growth and multiplication of cancerous cells in the kidney lead to a condition known as ‘kidney cancer‘. The cancerous cells impede the kidney’s functioning, leading to the accumulation of waste inside the body. Hence, a person with kidney cancer also faces multiple other health disorders in such situations. In the case of the severe or enhanced stage of kidney cancer, the patient might also experience the formation of tumours in the kidneys.
Causes/Risk Factors of Kidney Cancer
Researchers state that there is no exact cause of kidney cancer. Mentioned below are some of the risk factors that can make an individual prone to this disease:
- Smoking- Smoking can cause Renal Cell Carcinoma, one of the common forms of kidney cancer. It results in inflammation of blood vessels which leads to increased atherosclerosis (a process causing blockages in blood vessels). The more an individual smokes, the more a person is at risk of getting affected by the disease.
- Obesity– Obesity is another common risk factor for kidney cancer. Higher levels of fat increase insulin levels, resulting in multiple health issues. Obesity also causes adipose tissue malfunction that may lead to abnormal adipokines secretion, which may contribute to kidney cancer.
- Hypertension– People suffering from hypertension or high blood pressure are also at risk. This health issue can also be related to other cardiovascular disorders, making living a regular routine difficult for the affected individual.
- Radiation Therapy– People who have been treated with radiation therapy to cure health issues in the past are also at a higher risk of getting affected by kidney cancer. Especially women who have been treated with this therapy in the past are more prone to get this disease.
Symptoms of Kidney Cancer
Mentioned below are some of the kidney cancer symptoms that can help one to identify to get medical help immediately:
- Haematuria– Haematuria or blood in urine is one of the common kidney cancer symptoms. The condition can also be accompanied by a change in the colour of the urine and continuous pain below the ribs. Hence, in case of such symptoms, the affected individual should immediately rush to a doctor to get the root cause of the issue checked on time.
- Flank Pain– Pain in the parts of the body, such as the upper abdomen, sides, and back is known as flank pain. Kidney cancer can also lead to pain in the mentioned parts of the body due to the spread of the cancerous cells. Hence, it is advised to consult a doctor immediately in case of flank pain.
- Fatigue– Tiredness and fatigue are some of the symptoms of kidney cancer symptoms. The tumours caused due to the cancerous cells may cause fatigue, weakness, and fatigue. Hence, one should immediately consult a doctor in case of extreme tiredness, as such symptoms can also cause other health issues.
- Weight Loss– Sudden loss of weight is another symptom of kidney cancer. The disease involves loss of appetite which naturally leads to loss of weight. It usually happens due to the formation of tumours because of the cancerous cells. Sudden weight loss can also be due to many other health issues. Hence, it is always advised to consult a doctor under such circumstances.
- Bone Pain- Due to metastasis, the individual affected by kidney cancer might also experience bone pain. Other health issues and bone pain can also occur as kidney cancer symptoms.
Treatment Options for Kidney Cancer
- Kidney cancer is a rare and low-found form of cancer. Hence, the disease does not have many identifiable causes. Mentioned below are some of the kidney cancer treatment options adopted by doctors to cure the disease:
- Chemotherapy– Chemotherapy is one of the highly used forms of treatment options for any cancer. Chemotherapy involves using specific drugs to attack cancer cells that are growing at an abnormal speed. This way, it helps to lower the growth of cancerous cells and damage other organs. The required medicines can be given orally or directly through a vein.
- Immunotherapy– The therapy involves strengthening the immune system of the affected individual. It helps the patient’s immune system fight the cancerous cells in the kidney and strengthens the immune system. Nivolumab and Pembrolizumab drugs target PD-1, a protein in T cells or immune system cells that normally help in preventing these cells from attacking other cells. Once PD-1 is blocked, the drugs help by boosting the immune response against cancer cells in the kidney.
- Radiation Therapy– Radiation therapy is also a kidney cancer treatment option. The therapy involves killing cancerous cells with the help of high-beam radiation. The therapy is also helpful in easing the pain of the suffering patient. It is used primarily for patients who are not healthy enough to withstand surgery or have only one kidney.
Other treatment options used by doctors to cure kidney cancer are:
- Targeted Drug Therapy
- Targeted Drug Therapy
When to Consult a Doctor
You can also get in touch with the expert Oncology doctors at Narayana Healthcare based in your city to get immediate attention and medical support during injuries, health disorders or any other health concern.
Kidney Cancer is a rare disease that can be hazardous and highly damaging to health if not treated correctly with proper medications. Many treatment options exist to treat and manage kidney cancer symptoms and heal patients as soon as possible.
Q. What is Kidney Cancer?
The growth and multiplication of cancerous cells rapidly in the kidney and disturbing its function is known as ‘Kidney Cancer‘.
Q. What are the symptoms of Kidney Cancer?
Flank pain, fatigue, weight loss, loss of appetite, pain in the bones, and many similar symptoms are some visible kidney cancer symptoms.
Q. What are the treatment options to cure Kidney Cancer?
A. Treatment options such as chemotherapy, surgery, targeted drug therapy, and other methods help cure kidney cancer.