The International women’s day, 2019, campaign theme of “Balance for Better’’ is a call to action for driving gender balance across the world. Though women have come a long way, yet there is still more to be achieved.
But all said and done, a woman’s health concerns are different from those of men. Her health needs change as she ages, but the basic woman’s health remains the same. So, if you are a woman, educate and empower yourself to make healthy lifestyle choices. The following 5 tips will go a long way to improve your quality of life for years.
- Healthy Diet-have a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables and fewer processed food. Eat whole grains and high fiber foods, lean meat, fish and poultry. Also, have low-fat dairy products to meet the calcium needs of the body. Avoid food and beverages that are high in calories, sugar, salt, and fat. Maintain a proper weight for height (BMI)
- Exercise at least 30 min 5 days a week, if not every day
- Avoid addictions-stay away from cigarettes and drugs. If you think, you can safely consume a small drink a day
- Manage stress-mental health is important to your physical well being. Take a few minutes out of your busy schedule every day, just to relax and spend some ‘’me’’ time.
- Health checks ups– at least once a year, even if everything seems fine with you. Most ailments can be diagnosed during routine investigations, much before signs and symptoms appear to impair with your quality of life. In addition to routine tests, a yearly mammogram is advised to all women,40 years and older- it’s the most effective way to detect cancer of breast in its earliest stages, when its most treatable, Also, all women must have a Pap test every 3 years starting from the age-old 21 years, till 65 years of age. It detects abnormal cells from the cervix (mouth of the womb) that can lead to cancer in the future. All young girls should get the HPV vaccine. It prevents most cases of cervical cancer and genital warts. However, it’s not a substitute for pap test. Even if vaccinated, a routine Pap test must be done.
A healthy woman means a healthy society. So who wins ultimately??
HAPPY WOMAN’S DAY!!!!
Dr.Siuli Choudhury | Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist | Narayana Multispeciality Hospital, Barasat.