Lychee or litchi is an edible fleshy fruit of the soapberry family (Sapindaceae). This sweet fruit has brittle strawberry-red colored inedible leathery outer covering, a white flesh, and one large brown blacked seed. Lychees are oval to round-shaped fruit and have a sweet and flowery flavor.
The eatable part of lychee is white flesh, which is very sweet when eaten fresh. When dried, the pulp tastes very sweet and a little bit acidic. We can consume it as fresh fruit, ice cream, juice, wine, jelly, or dried fruit.
This delicious fruit is rich in many plant-based compounds, nutrients, and minerals, which have numerous advantages, including:
- The main components of lychee are water and carbohydrate. It is rich in fibers and low in calories, making this fruit a perfect inclusion in a weight loss diet.
- Litchis are rich in fibers, which help maintain a smooth bowel movement and relieve constipation.
- Lychees are rich in vitamin C, which fulfills our daily requirement of the vitamin when consumed in a moderate amount. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that prevents many chronic diseases and boosts our immunity.
- Many doctors recommend potassium-rich food to regulate high blood pressure conditions. As lychees are rich in potassium, it is a must-have food item on your list to maintain your blood pressure. It is rich in iron, copper, manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium, which improve bone and heart health.
- Lychees are a rich source of numerous antioxidant-plant compounds, including epicatechin and rutin, which help protect against oxidative stress, chronic diseases, cataract, diabetes, heart diseases, and cancers.
- Copper present in lychee promotes hair growth.
- The antioxidants and vitamin C present in lychee are beneficial for the skin and help remove the blemishes.
- Lychees have a low glycemic index, so it is safe for diabetic patients when consumed in moderate amounts, and they also prevent the sudden spike in the blood glucose level.
Lychees are one of the best summer fruit due to their higher content of vitamins, antioxidants, and numerous health benefits.