Green or raw bananas are unripe bananas. Both green and yellow bananas are the powerhouses of nutrients. We can find this tasty crop in every fruit basket globally. Banana is one famous fruit we can see in every grocery store and fruit stall. In India, we can see many dishes of raw bananas.
Regardless of its less sweet and grainy texture, green banana is a famous ingredient in many savory dishes, including stir-fries, salads, dips, deep-fried dishes, steamed eateries, boiled items, batter-fried, and chips. Green bananas have an abundance of nutrients, including fibers, antioxidants, vitamins, and phytonutrients. One should eat green bananas after boiling or cooking to maximize nutrient absorption.
Unripe green banana contains myriads of nutrients, which have countless health benefits, such as:
- Green bananas have a high amount of dietary fibers and resistant starch, which aid digestion, keep us full for a long time, and help in weight management. They are also beneficial in various stomach ailments, such as gastric ulcers, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, and bacterial infection of the digestive tract.
- People who prefer a gluten-free diet
can also opt for green banana flour.
- Raw bananas are rich in potassium, which works as a vasodilator and controls blood pressure levels. It also prevents many heart conditions, such as atherosclerosis and heart attack, and improves heart health.
- Green bananas have a low glycemic index and slowly release the insulin hormone after consumption. Thus, you should add green bananas to your menu if you face problems managing blood sugar levels.
- In addition to minerals, green bananas are rich in various vitamins, including vitamins B6 and C. Vitamin B6 helps in numerous enzymatic processes in our body and boosts our metabolism.
Vitamin C is an efficient antioxidant, which fights numerous chronic diseases, and infections. It also improves our skin health and boosts our immunity.
- Green bananas maintain electrolyte balance in our bodies. The antioxidants and minerals in green bananas help prevent kidney problems.
Raw or green bananas are versatile food. We can add them to our menu as smoothies, stir-fried, chips, cutlets, and vegetable curries.