Grapefruit is a popular member of the citrus fruits family (oranges, limes, grapefruit, and lemons). It is named grapefruit because it grows in a cluster just like grapes. Grapefruits are famous for their unique bittersweet to sour flavor. Because of this combination flavor, it is a versatile fruit. We can add them to salads, fruit punch, juices, and other recipes.
Grapefruits are grown in the subtropical region and come in varieties such as pale yellow, pink, dark pink, and red colors. This famous sweet and sour fruit is rich in vitamins, fibers, pectin, and numerous other nutrients beneficial to our health. Every part of the fruit (peel, oil, and extract) is medicinally valuable.
Grapefruit is rich in many nutrients necessary for good health. We can eat it as whole fruit or pulp or as juice. Following are some health benefits of the grapefruit:
- Grapefruit contains a comparatively low amount of calories. It has a low glycemic index. Thus its consumption is beneficial for diabetes.
- Grapefruits are rich in vitamins (A, C, and folate) that boost our immunity.
Vitamin A protects our body from inflammation and various infectious diseases.
Vitamin C has antioxidant properties that help us fight harmful oxidative reactions in our body. It also helps in reducing the duration of sickness.
- Grapefruit is a rich source of fibers, and adding it to a balanced diet, promotes weight loss.
- Regular consumption of grapefruit reduces LDL(bad) cholesterol and total cholesterol levels. It contains a high amount of potassium, which reduces the risk of high blood pressure. Thus cumulatively, it reduces the risk of heart diseases.
- Grapefruit contains numerous antioxidants such as vitamin C, beta-carotene, lycopene, and flavanones. These antioxidants reduce the risk of heart diseases, age-related degenerative conditions, and various cancers.
- Grapefruit may reduce our chances of having kidney stones. The citric acid in grapefruit reduces the binding of calcium and the formation of calcium oxalate (the most common type of kidney stone).
- Grapefruit has high water content. So, it can hydrate us instantly.
- Vitamin C in grapefruit is beneficial to our skin by helping with many problems, such as hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, discoloration, elasticity loss, and aging.
Grapefruit is a versatile fruit fortified with various nutrients. We can add it to our diet in ways and relish its unique taste on a hot summer day to get rejuvenated.