Fenugreek seeds or methi seeds (Trigonella foenum-graecum) are an annual herb and use both as a spice and as a medicine. The fenugreek plant is native to southern Europe, India, and Northern Africa.
We can see the dried fenugreek leaves and seeds in almost every Indian cuisine. Fenugreek seeds have a distinct aroma and a nutty but slightly bitter taste. We can use the leaves and seeds as a spice or consume methi seeds after soaking them overnight in the water.
Various cosmetics and soap manufacturing companies use fenugreek extract for healthy skin and hair. Fenugreek is also beneficial in treating numerous health conditions in both men and women.
Since ancient times, we have been using fenugreek for its health-promoting qualities and abilities to treat various issues, including digestive problems, skin conditions, hair problems, and leg weakness. Fenugreek seeds are rich in fibers, iron, manganese, magnesium, and plant-based proteins. The following are a few health benefits of methi seeds:
- Boost testosterone (sex hormone) secretion: Testosterone insufficiency or hypogonadism can affect sexual drive, cognitive functions, mood, diabetes, obesity, bone health, and energy levels in both men and women, but affects men more. Fenugreek seeds naturally replenish testosterone levels, but additional studies are going on to confirm this.
- Improves breast milk production: Fenugreek tea or supplement tablets increase milk production in lactating women, as the methi concoction stimulates the mammary glands.
- Alleviate menstruation cramps: Daily ingestion of fenugreek seeds in either soaked or powdered form relieves dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation period).
- Improve sexual drive: Methi seeds help enhance sexual drive and stamina in both men and women by increasing levels of hormones testosterone and estrogen.
- Improve digestion: fenugreek seeds may reduce various digestive ailments, including heartburn, upset stomach, indigestion, and flatulence.
- Reduces cholesterol levels: Methi seeds significantly decrease total cholesterol levels in our blood and improve our heart health.
- Reduces high blood sugar levels: Fenugreek seeds reduce hemoglobin A1c and blood sugar levels.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: Flavonoid antioxidants (present in methi seeds) possess anti-inflammatory properties, which fight many chronic inflammatory diseases such as asthma.
Besides enhancing the taste and aroma of dishes, fenugreek seeds provide various medicinal benefits.