Drumstick or Moringa oleifera is a drought-resistance tree native to tropical areas. Every part of the tree is valuable, including flowers, pods, and leaves. Drumsticks are a crucial ingredient in traditional medicines, as both the pods and leaves are beneficial in various ailment’s treatment.
We can find drumstick pods and leaves in mostly all south Indian kitchens. The drumstick pods can be usable in various recipes like dal, sambar, and drumstick curry.
Moringa leaves are edible like spinach. We can add them to lentils, juices, and stir-fry vegetables.
Moringa leaves are rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals. Moringa leaves are a rich source of vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, C, and folate. They also contain magnesium, calcium, zinc, iron, and phosphorus. All these vitamins and minerals possess numerous health benefits, such as:
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Moringa leaves contain isothiocyanates, which have anti-inflammatory actions. As we already know, inflammation is the root cause of various diseases such as osteoarthritis, cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, traumatic injury, and many autoimmune illnesses.
- Drumstick leaves are rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin C and beta-carotene, which protect us from many chronic oxidative diseases, including heart diseases, diabetes, cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- These leaves also contain Quercetin (an antioxidant) that helps lower blood pressure.
Chlorogenic acid, another antioxidant in moringa leaves, prevents sudden spikes in blood sugar levels after eating food.
- Daily consumption of moringa leaves significantly decreases blood cholesterol levels and improves our heart health.
- Moringa leaves and pods are effective against arsenic toxicity. Long-term arsenic exposure can cause serious health issues such as cancer and heart diseases.
- Consuming drumstick leaves are beneficial for various digestive issues, such as bloating, constipation, gastritis, and ulcerative colitis.
- Drumstick leaves are rich in calcium and phosphorus, which are crucial for bone health.
- Moringa leaves contain numerous antioxidants and nutrients, which improve the health and texture of our skin and hair. The hair pack of drumstick leaves reduces dandruff and gives shine and bounce to our hair.
A sufficient portion of the drumstick leaves can fulfill most of our daily requirements of essential nutrients. So, add them to your food and attain their nutritional and medicinal qualities.