Cluster beans, or Guar beans or Gawar beans, are annual legumes. They are a popular veggie in India. Cluster beans, also known as Cyamopsis tetragonoloba, are a member of the Fabaceae family. Plants like guar legumes live in symbiosis with nitrogen-fixing bacteria of the soil. This symbiotic action makes guar crucial in crop rotation cycles and replenishes the soil with essential nutrients for the next crop.
Younger pods of guar beans have a long and slender body and are commonly used as vegetables and in lentils. The seeds of matured pods are dried and powdered to flour (guar gum). Many food manufacturing companies use this guar gum as a thickening agent in numerous food preparation like ice-creams. The cluster beans are highly nutrient veggies and beneficial against various ailments.
Cluster beans are lower in calories and have an abundance of fibers, minerals, vitamins, and plant-based proteins, which possess numerous health benefits, such as:
- The high fiber content in cluster beans is highly beneficial for gut health. They stimulate bowel movements, reduce constipation, and help eliminate the toxins from our body.
- Cluster beans are rich in iron that is available in soluble form. Iron reduces the chances of anemia and enhances blood circulation in our system.
- Guar beans have numerous vitamins, including vitamins A, C, K, and folates, which have antioxidant properties, reduce age-related degeneration, boost immunity, and are helpful in the various bodily mechanism.
- Cluster beans have phytonutrients and a low glycaemic index, which control blood sugar levels and lower the chances of a sudden spike in blood sugar levels. Therefore, if you have diabetes, you should include this green veggie in your diet to control the condition.
- Cluster beans are rich in fibers and potassium. They have low fat and calorie content and higher plant proteins. They reduce cholesterol, maintain blood flow in vessels and blood pressure levels, and improve heart health.
- The calcium and phosphorus minerals in guar beans fortify bones and enhance bone health.
- Cluster beans are rich in folates and other vitamins. Therefore they are highly recommended in pregnancy, as they fulfill most of the daily vitamin needs and are beneficial for the fetal growth in the womb.
- Cluster beans are rich in numerous antioxidants, which fight oxidative damage and reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases, such as Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel disease, hypertension, diabetes, and various cancers.
- The presence of various vitamins and hypoglycemic properties of the cluster beans are beneficial in high stress and tension conditions. They also soothe the irritated nerves in our brain and enhance neural development in a fetus.
Cluster beans have countless health benefits and improve our overall health. They are very versatile, and we can add them to our diet as stir-fry vegetables, dried and fried snacks, and lentils. We can use guar gum in salad dressings, Icecreams, and yogurts.