Apple gourd is a green, oval or round-shaped vegetable, also known as Indian squash, round melon, Indian round gourd, or tinda. This vegetable is nutrient-dense and has an abundance of antioxidants and bioactive compounds, which makes it a superfood.
Apple gourds farming is common in Southeast Asian countries, such as India, China, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and the hot climate areas of Australia. Round melon has an outer green covering. When unripened, it has a hairy appearance and loses these hairs when matured. This vegetable has thick white flesh and numerous seeds. Indian round gourd has a similar taste and texture to squash. From the ancient era, tinda has been famous for its usage in various medicinal applications.
Like other gourd family members, apple gourds seeds, fruit, and leaves are rich in a variety of essential nutrients, fibers, and water content, which have countless health advantages:
- Round melons are rich in water content, which provides a cooling effect on our bodies and replenishes lost water.
- Tinda has zero cholesterol levels, negligible fat, and is high in potassium, magnesium, and manganese, which are beneficial for heart health and lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- High fibers & nutrients and low-calorie levels in round melon promote gut health. The dietary fibers keep one fuller for a longer time, reduce craving for food, prevent digestive ailments, and help reduce weight loss.
- Tinda is rich in numerous vitamins. Multivitamins (vitamin A, C, B6, and K) have countless aid in body functioning, such as protection from various illnesses, boosting immunity, blood clotting mechanism, reducing age-related degeneration, promoting hair growth, and improvement of cognitive skills.
- Apple gourd contains polyphenols and cucurbitacin antioxidants, which prevent our organs from oxidative damage, protect us from chronic illnesses, and reduce the risk of numerous cancers.
- Apple gourd is high in carotenoid antioxidants, such as lutein and zeaxanthin, which protect eye organelles from oxidative damage and maintain healthy vision.
- Flavonoids and carotenoids in apple gourds possess antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, which reduce inflammation and are beneficial in diabetes, jaundice, fever, and scalp disorders. Apple gourds also reduce mucus secretion and phlegm productivity, thus enhancing lung functioning and reducing lung inflammation and allergies.
This vegetable is like bliss and has innumerable advantages. Therefore, add apple gourds to your diet for healthy vital organs.