A digestive disorder resulting in loose and watery stools is known as diarrhoea. The health disorder happens due to consuming unhealthy and unhygienic food and liquids, food prepared in unsanitary conditions, and various similar reasons. Diarrhoea can affect an individual for a shorter period. However, if not paid attention at the right time, the disorder can take a severe toll on one’s health and lead to other digestive and gastrointestinal disorders.
Causes of Diarrhoea
Diarrhoea is a health condition that can happen due to many reasons. Mentioned below are some of the causes of diarrhoea:
- Viruses– Major viruses such as norovirus, astrovirus, viral hepatitis, and many such viruses are some of the significant causes of diarrhoea. These viruses ruin the affected individual’s digestive system, resulting in watery stools, stomachaches, headaches, etc. With the help of the proper medication, the disease can be treated, but it can turn worse if not treated at the right time.
- Bacteria– Being affected by bacteria is one of the significant causes of diarrhoea. Bacteria in food, the environment around it, and the surfaces a human is in touch with are all possible sites where a human can be affected with diarrhoea. These bacteria ruin an individual’s digestive system and lead to watery stools and loose motions. The person loses all the essential salts and vitamins due to the continued passing of watery stools.
Signs and Symptoms of Diarrhoea
Mentioned below are some of the signs and symptoms of diarrhoea:
- Abdominal Pain- Abdominal pain is one of the most prominent signs of diarrhoea. Tummy bugs, bacteria, and viruses lead to abdominal pain. In addition, the disorder leads to other issues such as stomach aches, cramps in the legs and arms, and other similar issues. Furthermore, these viruses make the affected individually uncomfortable and do not allow one to carry out routine functions smoothly and hassle-free.
- Vomiting– Vomiting is one of the most extensive symptoms of diarrhoea. It happens due to bacteria, viruses, and harmful parasites damaging the digestive system. The body immediately throws out all the garbage and toxic elements in the digestive system in the form of vomit in case of diarrhoea. It can happen to affected individuals of any age group. Identifying the symptom and consuming proper medication can help lower the symptoms. Still, the condition can improve if placed at the right time.
- Fever– High fever, along with watery stools and stomach aches, are some of the common symptoms of diarrhoea. Fever happens due to harmful parasites, bacteria, and viruses in the digestive system. As a result, the individual may feel weak due to the loss of required nutrients and useless elements stored in the body. The person may also feel nauseous due to extreme weakness and losing essential fluids longer.
- Blood in Stools– Shigella bacteria and Entamoeba histolytica are harmful elements that can lead to blood in stools during diarrhoea. The condition is known as ‘dysentery’. The condition may also be accompanied by other health issues such as stomach ache, fever, weakness, headache, and other similar problems. In case of blood found in stools and other risk factors for diarrhoea, the affected individual should immediately rush to a doctor to find out the root cause. If not treated at the right time, the condition can worsen and make the issue chronic.
Diagnosis for Diarrhoea
To identify the health condition and the root cause of diarrhoea, the doctor may advise tests such as:
- Blood Test
- Stool Test
- Hydrogen Breath Test
- Upper Endoscopy
Treatment Options for Diarrhoea
In case of symptoms observed of diarrhoea, the affected individual should immediately rush to a doctor and find the proper treatment. Mentioned below are some of the treatment options for diarrhoea:
- Antibiotics– Prescribed antibiotics are one of the proper medications for diarrhoea. It helps eliminate harmful parasites, bacteria, and diarrhoea-causing viruses. In addition, these antibiotics help to get rid of the medical disorder within a few days safely and are also helpful to smoothen the functioning of the digestive system.
- IV Fluids– If the affected individual experiences vomiting and stomach ache due to water and other fluids during diarrhoea, then the doctor might suggest getting IV fluids to replace the consumption of salts and other liquid and watery items. It is also one of the best treatment options for diarrhoea.
- Medications– Proper medications for diarrhoea can help to relieve the condition. Medications help to kill the diarrhoea-causing bacteria. In addition, the medicines help lower conditions such as watery stools, loose motions, stomachache, and various other reasons. Helpful antibiotics help to relieve such issues and make the individual feel calm and relaxed.
- Treating Other Medical Conditions– Various digestive and medical issues can cause diarrhoea. Hence, healing other digestive disorders and medical conditions is one of the treatment options for diarrhoea.
Quick Fixes for a Healthy Digestive System
Mentioned below are some of the easy methods to keep a digestive system healthy and avoid stomach disorders such as diarrhoea:
- Eat healthy and home-cooked food items
- Consume green vegetables
- Consume a lot of water
- Maintain an active lifestyle
- Avoid stres
When to Consult a Doctor
You can also get in touch with the expert Gastroenterology doctors at Narayana Healthcare based in your city to get immediate attention and medical support during injuries, health disorders or any other health concern.
Diarrhoea is a digestive disorder that can be quickly healed with the help of proper medications for diarrhoea. However, if the condition is not treated correctly, the issue can become chronic and lead to other medical and digestive problems.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What causes diarrhoea?
A. Harmful parasites, bacteria, and other harmful viruses are some of the biggest causes of diarrhoea.
Q. How long does diarrhoea last?
A. Diarrhoea is not a long-lasting stomach disorder. However, if the symptoms are identified and proper medication begins on time, the medical condition can be cured within a few days to a week.
Q. How is diarrhoea treated?
A. Diarrhoea can be treated with the right antibiotics, getting IV fluids, and avoiding stress and high amounts of caffeine.
Q. What should I eat when I have diarrhoea?
A. Food items such as apples, bananas, rice, and many similar food items help lower the symptoms of diarrhoea.
Q. How can I prevent diarrhoea?
A. Following measures such as consumption of clean and healthy food, avoiding greasy and oily food, maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle, and various similar habits can help to avoid diarrhoea.