Coconuts are exotic sweet fruits. Coconut trees are widely grown in tropical regions. They are like an elixir in our daily lives.
Every part of the coconut tree can fulfill our daily necessities. Coconut oil, coconut water, milk, coconut flesh, wood for fuel, husk for scrubber, and ropes are some of the many things we get from a coconut tree. Also, coconut is full of cosmetic and medicinal properties.
Each part of the fruit is edible such as:
- Raw white flesh: We can eat the sweet delicious white part as raw or dried. Raw flesh is a part of many Indian dishes such as chutney, curries, fish stews, and rice dishes.
Shaved or grated dried coconut flesh is used in many dishes, such as cookies, muffins, puddings, and ladoos, not only enhancing the taste but giving health benefits to us.
Grounded dried coconut flesh (coconut flour) can substitute wheat flour in baking. Coconut flour is a gluten-free and carb-free option in dieting.
Coconut milk and cream, prepared by pressing the grated raw flesh, are the main ingredient of many dishes.
- Coconut water: Tender coconut water is an instant source of energy. It can refresh you instantly drink on an excruciatingly hot day.
Health benefits of coconut
Coconut is a magical food. Some of the benefits are:
- Coconut is low in carbs, so it is the best substitute for carb-rich snacks.
- It contains minerals and nutrients such as potassium, sodium, manganese, vitamin B, copper, and iron. Manganese is beneficial for our bone health.
Copper and iron help maintain red blood cell’s health.
- Coconut flesh has a high content of fat (medium-chain triglycerides) that provide instant energy and promotes fat loss in obese people.
- Both coconut flesh and oil have high levels of good (HDL) cholesterol which is beneficial for our hearts.
- Coconut is high in fiber and low in carbs, so it helps control blood sugar levels in our bodies.
- Coconut meat and water contain numerous antioxidants that fight against factors causing cell damage. The antioxidant also reduces the risk of many diseases such as cancer.
Coconut has numerous health benefits. So, add this tasty fruit to your daily routine and enjoy all its benefits.