Cancer is a disease that affects an individual and the family in different ways. While it’s not easy to go through the cancer phase in one’s life, by making a few simple lifestyle changes, one can improve cancer care in a significant manner and make the entire treatment more effective and easier.
Let’s take a look at six lifestyle changes which you can adopt to improve your cancer care.
- Accept support
- Coping with cancer can be a draining experience – physically, emotionally and monetarily. However, with people around who can support you emotionally, the whole cancer care can be a different experience.
- Studies suggest that emotional support is integral to helping people overcome cancer-related complications. Those who are supported emotionally respond to treatment well, live longer and have a quality life in general.
How to build a support system
- Ask for help. Often, even if people want to help they may not know-how. Asking for help matters in this regard.
- Join support groups. It can help you in a huge way because when you share your experience with others, they also open up. This helps you understand how they go through each phase of their cancer – from diagnosis to treatment.
- Be supportive. Support is mutual; help others and they will help you as well.
- Stress management
- Managing stress is a very important step to take in cancer care.
- Like listening to music? Go ahead. Other relaxation techniques you can try are meditation, yoga and deep breathing.
- Being mindful helps. When you do day-to-day chores such as brushing your teeth or washing vessels, be mindful and concentrate fully on the task.
- Set aside time every day to perform stress management practices.
- Sleep properly
Cancer treatment, whether it’s chemotherapy or radiation therapy, can be tiring. Obviously, the last thing you want is sleep-deprived tiredness. Make sure that you sleep for at least 7-8 hours a day.
It helps to avoid certain habits to get a good sleep. Some of these are:
- Hit the bed at a regular time every night
- Avoid screen time before bed – TV, smartphone, tablet
- Say no to coffee, alcohol, sugar
- Keep the bedroom as dark as possible
- Keep the bedroom temperature at comfortable levels
- Regular exercise
- Regular exercise can help you cope with fatigue, weight loss and help you enhance your mood.
- Don’t sit for long hours, just get up and walk.
- Exercise for shorter periods.
- Include aerobic activity to boost your heart health.
- Engage in strength exercise.
- Eat healthy
- Drink plenty of water.
- Incorporate lots of fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Eat foods that contain high fibre such as beans, peas, seeds, etc.
- Reduce the consumption of red meats such as beef, pork, mutton…
- Avoid processed meats.
- Avoid or limit the intake of alcohol.
- Stay away from environmental toxins
Limit your exposure to malicious toxins in the environment that can increase a person’s risk of cancer such as tobacco smoke, asbestos, formaldehyde, etc.
Remember, cancer treatment is not completed overnight and is a lengthy procedure. Coping with it with a healthy mindset and a good physique is important to battle the disease. With proper help from friends and family, anybody can win the battle against cancer.