Low Blood Pressure, also known as hypotension, is a medical condition where a person’s blood pressure reaches such a low level that it leads to adverse symptoms such as dizziness, fainting, nausea, fatigue, difficulty in breathing, and blurred vision.
When the readings hover around 90/60 mm Hg or lower, it can be termed as hypotension. It can be measured using millimeters of mercury (mmHg). When the blood pressure is low, then it can cause a decreased supply of blood to organs such as the brain, kidney, and heart.
It can be caused by several factors such as dehydration, prolonged rest, deficiency in nutrition, lower volume of blood, heart problems, pregnancy, and neurological conditions. Some medications such as alpha-blockers, beta-blockers, diuretics, and antidepressants can also lead to low blood pressure.
If you have low blood pressure, emergency treatment at home is extremely easy. There are several home remedies for low blood pressure which you can follow. These home remedies for low BP include both lifestyle changes as well as a specific diet plan.
Lifestyle Changes for Low BP
● Eat small meals frequently – Consuming smaller and more frequent meals has been known to help with hypotension. This is because smaller and frequent meals reduce the gap between each meal and also keep you filled with the right nutrients, thereby reducing the chances of low blood pressure, as compared to larger and heavier meals.
● Increase salt intake – A sure shot low BP treatment at home is to increase your salt intake. Salt contains sodium and for people with blood pressure problems, higher sodium intake can be a good solution. Thus, consuming more salt can help raise your blood pressure.
● Wear compression stockings – The role of compression stockings is to decrease the amount of blood to be constricted to your lower legs and help it to be distributed throughout the body. They can also help to reduce the pressure and pain arising out of varicose veins. You can easily buy them for yourself online.
● Don’t get up or move around quickly – Any sudden or rapid movements can cause problems for someone with low blood pressure. For example, sitting up or standing up quickly can make you feel lightheaded, dizzy, or can even cause you to faint.
● Avoid alcohol – Alcohol can cause your blood pressure to fall so if you already have low blood pressure, you should avoid any sort of alcoholic beverages.
● Drink plenty of water – Water helps increase the volume of blood as well as reduce any chances of dehydration. Both of these can help in increasing your blood pressure.
Diet Plan for Low BP
● Drink coffee with your meals – Make sure you have a cup of coffee along with your meals. Coffee or any other caffeinated beverage can help increase your blood pressure. If you’re suffering from low blood pressure, then having a cup of coffee in the morning can be an instant remedy for low blood pressure. You can also have it as part of your meals, especially when you’re dealing with orthostatic hypotension.
● Eat complex carbs with every meal – Choosing a diet that is low in carbohydrates can help increase your blood pressure. If you’re adding carbs to your diet, it’s best to choose complex carbohydrates such as oatmeal, whole wheat bread, and barley instead of pasta and white bread.
● Snack on almonds and raisins – The easiest way to treat low blood pressure at home is to consume almonds and raisins. Raisins are an ideal Ayurvedic remedy to help cure hypotension naturally. You can soak a few raisins in water overnight and have them in the morning on an empty stomach and also drink the water in which they were soaked. You can try these for a few weeks and months. Almond is another alternative home remedy for low blood pressure You can follow the same procedure for almonds as you did for raisins.
● Drink carrot and beetroot juice – Starting your day with a glass of fresh carrot juice with honey can help maintain blood pressure since they help regulate the heart and kidney functions. Beetroot juice again is an effective antidote to help stabilize your blood pressure. For people with hypotension, consuming two glasses of beetroot juice for a week can give you good results.
● Enjoy a cup of liquorice tea – Another one of the instant home remedies for low blood pressure is liquorice root. It can help normalize blood pressure resulting from low cortisol levels. Liquorice helps break down the enzyme that disintegrates cortisol and helps in healthy functioning of adrenaline. It also helps in healing symptoms of chronic fatigue. Drinking liquorice tea daily for a few weeks can give you good results. You can also choose to take liquorice capsules.