What do you need to know about Uterus Removal?
The surgeons can treat fibroids with other types of surgery that spare the uterus. Hysterectomy is usually the only option for treating uterine or cervical cancer.
Let us understand the conditions where doctors may recommend Hysterectomy.
The reasons for removal of the Uterus are:
- The common indications include fibroids
- Heavy bleeding during periods
- Prolapse (when uterus moves down from its normal position)
- Endometriosis (presence of the uterine lining in nearby organs causing severe pain and bleeding)
- Cancer of uterus, ovaries, or cervix
- Adenomyosis (a condition where the inner lining of the uterus develops into the muscles of the uterus)
- Central Chronic Pelvic Pain/Adhesions
What are the types of Hysterectomy?
- Total Hysterectomy:
- Supracervical Hysterectomy:
- Radical Hysterectomy:
- Through the abdomen (abdominal hysterectomy – AH)
- Through the vagina (vaginal hysterectomy – VH)
- Through the vagina with the aid of a laparoscope (laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy – LAVH)