Heart Team Approach in Decision Making for Patients with Coronary Artery Disease or Valve related Heart Disease
The concept of a multidisciplinary heart team approach in treating cardiovascular disease has garnered increasing interest in recent years, both nationally & internationally. Many years ago, when treatment options for Cardiac patients were limited to medicine or surgery, clinical decision making was simpler. But today with the advancements in medical technology and the introduction of catheter-based techniques for treatment of multiple heart conditions, clinical decision making has become much more complex – with multiple treatment options being available to treat a specific condition.
This is where the role of a multi-disciplinary heart team, comprising of both an Interventional Cardiologist and Cardiac Surgeon gains importance. This team-based approach for decision making is already being practiced in the field of Oncology & Organ transplantation & has yielded promising results.
How does the Heart Team Approach help Cardiac patients with Coronary Artery Disease (blockage in blood vessels) or Valvular heart disease?
Many a time’s multiple treatment options are possible in an individual’s case. For example, to treat Coronary artery disease (blockage in the heart’s blood vessel) – the case may be such that both an angioplasty (stenting) and bypass surgery can be offered to the patient. But which is the most appropriate treatment option for the patient basis his/her age, co-morbidities, risk factors, long term outcomes, etc – this is where the role of a Heart Team comes into play.
The Heart Team is a collaborative approach between a Cardiologist, Cardiac surgeon, and imaging specialist who jointly review the medical history and reports of the patient. All the alternatives/options to the treatment of disease are jointly discussed amongst the consultants. The risks & expected outcomes of each approach are also factored in to arrive at a consensus. The most appropriate treatment option is then suggested and discussed with the patient & his family members which is based on international guidelines.
Such a Heart team approach for Joint clinical decision making has now been introduced at Narayana Multispeciality Hospital, Jaipur under the name of Advanced Heart Clinic, wherein patients can opt for joint consultation with a Cardiologist and Cardiac Surgeon to get the most appropriate treatment plan for their specific heart condition.
Benefits of opting for a second opinion at Narayana Multispeciality Hospital, Jaipur’s Advanced Cardiac Clinic:
- Most appropriate treatment plan recommendations based on the individual case after factoring in age, co-morbidities, treatment risks, costs, family expectations, etc.
- Both specialists – Cardiologist & Cardiac Surgeon (Heart Team) are involved in a joint decision making so a consensus is achieved on the most suitable treatment choice for the patient – intervention or surgery.
- Transparent approach for treatment selection wherein the pros and cons of each treatment option is discussed in front of the patient and family.
- Patients and families are given a platform to discuss apprehensions and concerns with both – Cardiologist and Cardiac Surgeon.
In which cases should one opt for a consultation with the Heart Team?
Not all Cardiac patients require a consultation with the Heart Team at the Advanced Cardiac Clinic. The patient can opt for a Heart Team consultation at Narayana Multispeciality Hospital, Jaipur in the following cases:
- Diagnosed with Coronary artery disease and receiving conflicting opinions on what would suit you better – Stenting or Bypass Surgery?
- Diagnosed with a Valvular disease and receiving conflicting opinions on what would suit you better – Valve surgery or TAVI?