Speech and swallow unit at Narayana Health City, Bangalore is one the first of its kind in the country to start FEES and VFSS was founded by Ms Smita Caren Mathias in 2010.We celebrate 10 years of persistent hard work and dedication journeying with patients from the intensive care on ventilators, until they are back to oral safe feeding and communicating their needs and wants. Whether it is oncology, neurosciences, trauma, post-surgical complications or a sequalae of any infectious disease no stone has been left unturned to restore or even habilitate aninfant.
- B(ASLP), M(ASLP), MS, PhD (submitted)
Post held in past
- Founded and headed the unit 10yrs ago since its inception
Fields of Experience
- Speech, voice & swallowing disorders in head and neck cancers, neurological disorders
- Language disorders
Awards & Recognition
- Best paper award for the paper titled “ Swallowing dynamics in patients with laryngeal and pharyngeal cancers undergoing chemoradiation”.
- Best paper award for the paper titled “Speech and swallowing issues in Total Glossectomy” at the International workshop on Speech and Swallowing issues in Head and Neck Cancer, Tata Memorial Cancer Hospital, Mumbai.8-10 June, 2015.
- Speech and Swallow Pathology-Rated as one of the best departments during NABH Audit Muzumdar Shaw Medical Centre & Narayana Hospitals 2014.
- Awarded with Erasmus Mundus Scholarship by European Union for Masters in Clinical Linguistics to the Netherlands and Germany from 2008-2010.
- Awarded 1st prize for the best paper in the “Language” section at the All India Speech and Hearing Conference, Mangalore, 2008, India.
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Indian Speech and Hearing Association (ISHA, Life membership) – L 11061064
- Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) - A 58394
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing(Langmore)
- Surgical voice restoration & dysphagia rehabilitation post laryngectomy (Imperial college of London)
- Tracheo-esophageal puncture/ voice prosthesis (ATOS)
- Mathias SC, Premalatha BS, Nujum N et.al. Examining the use of voice handicap index in patients with pharyngeal cancer undergoing organ preservation. Int J Health Sci Res. 2020; 10(9):447-453.
- Mathias SC, Premalatha BS, Pillai V et.al. The relationship between a patient and clinician reported voice tool in pharyngeal and laryngeal cancer post organ preservation. Int J Health Sci Res. 2020; 10(9):460-468.
- Kekatpure,V., Manjula, B.V., Mathias, S., Trivedi, N., Selvam, S., Kuriakose, M. (2013). Reconstruction of large composite buccal defects using single soft tissue flap—Analysis of functional outcome. Microsurgery,Volume 33,Issue 3, 184–190.
- Shetkar, G., Manjula B.V., Kekatpure, V., Trivedi, N., Mathias, S., Selvam, S & Kuriakose, M. (2013). Reconstruction of complex oro-mandibular defects using single soft tissue flap-assessment of functional and cosmetic outcome. Oral Oncology, Volume 49, S82–S83.
Key Procedures Performed
- FEES, VFSS, cervical auscultation, tracheostomy and speech valve care, voice analysis
Rare/ Unique Skills
- Swallowing assessment and management from neonates to geriatrics
- Instrumental and bedside evaluationsin swallowing and voice disorders across neonates to geriatrics
English, Kannada, Hindi, Konkani