After completing his MS in General Surgery, he went on to complete his MCh in Head and Neck Oncology in Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi. He has also gained additional certification in transoral robotic surgery (TORS) from the University of Pennsylvania and robotic surgery from Delhi. He is proficient in performing ablative surgery of the oral cavity, oropharynx, salivary glands, thyroid, larynx, pharynx, sinonasal cavity and anterior skull base, with significant experience in a salvage/re-do setting. He also performs regional and microvascular flap reconstruction, with a special interest in facial nerve reanimation. He has fifty published books chapters, articles or abstracts and over forty scientific presentations. He is co-principal investigator/national coordinator on two multicentric national clinical trials funded by the National Cancer Grid. He has ongoing scientific collaborations with Mazumdar Shaw Centre for Translational Research Bangalore, Indian Institute of Science Bangalore, Amrita Institute of Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine Kochi, National Cancer Centre Singapore and Chris O’Brien Lifehouse Hospital Sydney.
Key Procedures Performed
- Open ablative surgeries for cancer of the oral cavity, oropharynx, thyroid and parathyroid glands, salivary glands, sinonasal tract and anterior skull base.
- Robotic ablative surgeries for cancer of the oropharynx, thyroid and cervical lymph nodes.
- Reconstructive surgery of the head and neck involving local, regional and microvascular flaps.
- Static and dynamic facial nerve reanimation surgeries.
Rare / Unique Skills
- Salvage (post-radiotherapy) surgery.
- Re-do surgery for cancers of the oral cavity.
- Complex reconstruction of the head and neck following ablation for cancer.
- Surgery for locally advanced thyroid cancer.
- Facial nerve reanimation surgery.
Fields of Expertise
- Ablative surgery: oral and oropharyngeal, laryngeal, salivary gland, thyroid and sinonasal malignancies.
- Reconstructive surgery: Local, regional and microvascular flap reconstruction, facial nerve reanimation.
- Robotic surgery: TransOral Robotic Surgery, thyroidectomy.
- Outcomes research
- Translational research
Awards & Recognition
- Amrita Outstanding Research Award(2018).
- Federation for Head and Neck Oncology gold medal for research (2016 & 2017).
- Over 40 research presentations.
- Nearly 50 published journal articles and abstracts.
- Ongoing research collaborations with Mazumdar Shaw Centre for Translational Research, Indian Institute of Science, Amrita Institute of Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine, National Cancer Centre Singapore and Chris O’Brien Lifehouse Hospital Sydney.
- Co-principal investigator for a phase III multicentric RCT studying the use of post-operative radiotherapy in early stage oral cancer with adverse features accepted for funding of 1.85 crore by National Cancer Grid.
Professional Memberships& Certifications
Federation for Head and Neck Oncology Indian Association of Surgical Oncologists
- Subramaniam N, Murthy S, Balasubramanian D, et al. Adverse pathologic features in T1/2 oral squamous cell carcinoma classified by the American Joint Committee on Cancer eighth edition and implications for treatment. Head & Neck . 2018;1– 7.
- Subramaniam N et al. Perioperative outcomes following major surgery for head and neck cancer in the elderly: institutional audit and case–control study. J Laryngol Otol 2018;132:742–747.
- Subramaniam N, et al. Impact of postoperative radiotherapy on survival and loco-regional control in node-negative oral cavity tumours classified as T3 using the AJCC Cancer Staging Manual eighth edition, Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg (2018).
- Balasubramanian D, Subramaniam N, Rathod P, Murthy S, Sharma M, Mathew J, et al. Outcomes following pharyngeal reconstruction in total laryngectomy – institutional experience and review of literature. Indian J Plast Surg 2018;51:190-5.
- Subramaniam N., AV Nikitha, Thankappan K. Chapter 22: Dysphagia after laryngeal surgery. Thankappan K, Iyer S, Menon J. Dysphagia Management in Head and Neck Cancers. Springer International Publishing 2018.
- Subramaniam N., Jaya AC, Menon J. Chapter 23: Dysphagia after hypopharyngeal surgery. Thankappan K, Iyer S, Menon J. Dysphagia Management in Head and Neck Cancers. Springer International Publishing 2018.
- Subramaniam N, Balasubramanian D, Low T-H, et al. Role of adverse pathological features in surgically treated early oral cavity carcinomas with adequate margins and the development of a scoring system to predict local control.Head & Neck 2018;1– 5.
- Anand A., Balasubramanian D., Subramaniam N., et al. Secondary lymphedema after head and neck cancer therapy: a review. Lymphology 2018: 109-118.
- Subramaniam N, Balasubramanian D, Reddy R, Thankappan K, Iyer S. Organ Preservation Protocols in T4 Laryngeal Cancer: a Review of the Literature. Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2018:1-7.
- Murthy S, Low T-H, Subramaniam N, et al. Validation of the eighth edition AJCC staging system in early T1 to T2 oral squamous cell carcinoma. J Surg Oncol. 2018;1‐6.
English, Hindi, Kannada, Tamil and Malayalam