Dr. Aruna is a Consultant Paediatric Rheumatologist at Narayana Health City, Bangalore. She has undergone formalised training in Paediatrics in UK. She has trained and worked in the United Kingdom for more than 10 years before taking up her present post in Bangalore in 2013. She has trained in Paediatrics from various prestigious institutions in UK, some of which are Freeman Hospital-Newcastle upon Tyne, James Cook University Hospital- Middlesborough and the famous Alder Hey Children's Hospital - Liverpool. She has been awarded DCH and MRCPH by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (UK). She has undergone formal training in Paediatric Rheumatology which remains her area of Speciality. She has a Graduate Certificate in Paediatric Rheumatology from the esteemed University of Western Australia. She also has to her credit Fellowship in Paediatric Rheumatology from Alder Hey Children's Hospital which is Centre of Excellence for Childhood Lupus in the The United Kingdom and has been Certified by European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) in 2015 as Fellow in Rheumatology. Paediatric Rheumatology is a rare speciality worldwide and India has the only handful of trained specialists in this area. Dr. Bhat is the only full time exclusively practising Paediatric Rheumatologist in the State of Karnataka. Throughout her career, she has shown a keen interest in academic activities such as publications, research and training. Apart from authoring chapters in recent release reputed textbooks in Paediatrics and Paediatric Rheumatology and being a regular reviewer for the prestigious International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases (IJRD), she has frequently participated in various national level conferences in India as invited faculty. It is her greater aim to create awareness regarding Paediatric Rheumatological illnesses which are sorely lacking in India and to set up comprehensive care for these very troubled yet ignored children across the state.
Area of Expertise
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis and subtypes, post Infective arthritis, Acute Rheumatic Fever, Rheumatological illnesses in Children
- Connective Tissue Diseases: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Juvenile Dermatomyositis, Systemic Sclerosis, Scleroderma, Mixed Connective tissue diseases, overlap syndromes.
- First to establish dedicated exclusive paediatric rheumatology service in Bangalore
- Authored chapters in various different Paediatric Rheumatology textbooks and rheumatology chapters in paediatric textbooks
- Regular Reviewer for noted National and International Journals
- General Medical Council –UK
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health –UK
- Paediatric Rheumatology Society of India
- Indian Rheumatology Association