Dr Srikant Venkatakrishnan specialises in Rehabilitation Medicine also known as Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. It is a branch of medicine that helps people with difficulty to carry out day to day tasks or activities of daily living (ADLs). Doctors of this field are known as Rehabilitation Physicians or physiatrists. His practice relates to conditions of musculoskeletal, nervous, rheumatological (joint related), respiratory and cardiovascular systems. Common complaints of people he helps include muscle weakness (paralysis), muscle tightness (spasticity/rigidity), musculoskeletal /neuropathic pain, cognitive impairments, poor activity tolerance, breathlessness.
Common rehabilitation programs he delivers are for stroke, brain and spinal cord injury, cerebral palsy, neuropathies, Parkinson’s disease, chronic musculoskeletal, back pain, arthritis, chronic wounds ( diabetic foot, pressure ulcer) among others. He directs comprehensive in-patient and out-patient rehabilitation programs with the assistance of a multidisciplinary team of occupational therapy, physiotherapy, speech and language pathology, orthotics and prosthetics (splints), neuropsychology, clinical social work.
He is committed to deliver best clinical practices and incorporate evidence based science and technology advancements to help his patients. He strives to work towards a comprehensive, cutting-edge and cost effective model of rehabilitation medicine that seeks to deliver independence to the patient, reduce caregiver burden and facilitate community re-integration.
- MBBS, Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute
- MD, St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, NIMHANS
Post held in past
- Post Doctoral Fellow/Senior Resident, Department of Neurological Rehabilitation, NIMHANS
- Assistant Professor- Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation- St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore
Fields of Experience
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
- Musculoskeletal Medicine
- Chronic Pain
- MSK Ultrasound
- Interventional Pain Management
Awards & Recognition
- University First Rank -MD (2018), Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR)- Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- First Rank, NIMHANS Entrance Exam (2018) for Post doctoral fellowship ( Neurological Rehabilitation)
- Special Grant- International Society for Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (ISPRM)-to present work at annual conference- Kobe, Japan, June 2019.
- Invited as Expert to a Multinational Delphi Panel- Equinovarus Foot Management- Society of Neuro-Orthopedic in Versailles, Paris -September 2019.
- Member -Inaugural Task Force of the World Youth Forum for Physiatrists (ISPRM).
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Karnataka Medical Council- KMC 100813
- Medical Council of India
- International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine
- Venkatakrishnan S, Zachariah K, Chinnappan P, Rawat N. A Description of a Modified Bohler Iron Walking Cast in the Management of Plantar Ulcers. J Foot Ankle Surg Asia-Pacific 2019; 6 (1):10-12.
- Venkatakrishnan S, Gupta A, Khanna M, Nagappa M, Ross C. Hypereosinophilia as a cause of recurrent stroke. Ann Indian Acad Neurol 2020;23:118-9.
Key Procedures Performed
- Intra-articular injections, Trigger Point Injections
- Chemical Neurolysis for pain and spasticity
- Motor Point Blocks
- Wound Debridement
- Contracture Release
Rare/ Unique Skills
- Chemical Neurolysis
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
- Foot Ulcer Offloading
- Comprehensive Rehabilitation
- Music in Neurorehabilitation
English, Hindi, Kannada, Tamil