Dr. Sahana Shankar specializes in the management of common and complex diseases of the gut, liver and pancreas in young children and adolescents and has over 10 years’ experience caring for children. She has trained as a fellow in Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Clinical Nutrition at the Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, Australia. During her stint there, she had the opportunity to work with a multidisciplinary team and a state-of-the-art transplant unit that has performed ~200 liver transplants in children and is also the only national centre for intestinal transplantation in children.
She completed post graduate training (MD) in Pediatrics from the reputed Seth G.S. Medical College and King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, and MBBS from JSS Medical College and Hospital, Mysore and she is working as Consultant–Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Liver Transplant at Mazumdar Shaw Medical Centre, Narayana Health City - Bangalore.
Fields of expertise
- Neonatal and infantile jaundice
- Acute and acute on chronic liver failure, Autoimmune and other chronic liver diseases
- Liver and multi-visceral transplantation - pre and post-transplant management
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Cow’s milk protein allergy and other food allergies
- Chronic diarrhea, Failure to thrive
- Chronic and recurrent pancreatitis
Key Procedures performed
- Endoscopy - diagnostic and therapeutic
- Liver transient elastography
- Life member of the Indian Academy of Pediatrics
- Life member of the Indian Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Clinical Nutrition
Posts held in the past
- Fellow - Department of Gastroenterology and Clinical nutrition, Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
- Consultant Paediatrician, Vijaya Children’s Clinic, Bangalore
- Paediatric Registrar, Manipal Hospitals, Bangalore
- Paediatric Specialty Medical Officer, Kasturba Hospital for Infectious Diseases, Mumbai
- Registrar and Resident, KEM Hospital, Mumbai
- Bolia R, Shankar S, Herd L, Hardikar W. Rhesus Alloimunization Occurs After Rh Incompatible Liver Transplantation in Children. Transplantation. 2018 Jan;102(1):e1.
- De Marco R, Shankar S, Rosenbaum J, Efron D. A Case of the Stomach Flu. J Paediatr Child Health. 2018 Feb;54(2):214.
- Shankar S, Oliver M. Primum non nocere – Minocycline-induced liver injury in a teenager. J Paediatr Child Health. 2018 Sep;54(9):1031-1033. doi: 10.1111/jpc.14096. Epub 2018 Jul1.
- Shankar S, Bolia R, Hodgson A, Bishop J, Evans HM, Oliver M. Combined liver and pancreas transplantation in two children with cystic fibrosis – first experience in Australia and New Zealand. Pediatr Transplant. 2018 Jun 6:e13234. doi: 10.1111/petr.13234.
- Shankar S, Bolia R, Foo HW, Hardikar N, Wensing M, Hardikar W. Normal gamma glutamyl transferase levels at presentation predict poor outcome in Biliary atresia. JPGN. Under review
Awards and recognition
- Awarded the European Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, hepatology and Clinical Nutrition (ESPGHAN) young investigator Award 2018 at the 51st Annual meeting held in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Awarded Nestle Nutrition Institute Scholarship in Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Clinical nutrition in 2016 to pursue fellowship training in Australia.
- Stood 2nd in College and 7th in Maharashtra University of Health Sciences in the exit exam of MD Pediatrics in 2013.
- Best Outgoing Student award and Gold medal in MBBS in 2009
Kannada, English, Hindi and Marathi.