Dr Suman Byregowda is Consultant and Chief of Musculo-Skeletal Oncosurgery at Mazumdar Shaw Medical Centre, Narayana Health City, Bangalore. He started his medical education in 2002 at JSS Medical College, Mysore. Soon after his MBBS, He completed his post graduation in Orthopaedics with flying colours as a topper of the 2009 Orthopaedic batch at the Bangalore Medical College and Research institute.
As he had keen interest in bone and soft tissue cancers, immediately after his post graduation he joined as Senior Resident IN Orthopedic- Oncology at the prestigious Tata Memorial Cancer Hospital, Mumbai. His excellent performance in his senior residency led to his selection for the Homi Bhabha National Institute 2 years fellowship in Musculo-Skeletal Oncology at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai. After completing 2 years fellowship, he worked as A Specialist Resident in Department of Musculo-Skeletal oncology at the same centre.
Being a Referral cancer centre for whole South Asia, Tata Memorial Hospital Dr. Suman gained great exposure and clinical experience during his tenure of 4 years at this centre. He has also published several research studies and articles in various national and International Journals. He is also specially trained in Navigation Surgeries and Complex Pelvic Reconstruction at Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham, UK.
He has been instrumental in starting exclusive department of Musculo-Skeletal Oncology at Mazumdar Shaw Medical centre, Narayana Health City, Bangalore in 2016. Today the department has state of art infrastructure to handle complex bone and soft tissue cancers. The department has achieved several milestones like maximum complex pelvic surgeries , new surgical techniques like pedicle cryotherapy, Navigation tumor surgeries and use of 3D reconstruction for complex bone tumors in a very short duration.
Dr Suman has many International and national Publications to his name. He has contributed to textbooks on Orthopaedic Oncology. He is the Organising Secretary for India Musculo-Skeletal Oncology society Meeting 2020, Bangalore.
Posts Held in the past
- Senior Resident- Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute.
- Senior Resident – Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai.
- Specialist Resident - Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai.
- Fellowship in Musculoskeletal Oncology ( HBNI 2 YRS ) - Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai.
Fields of Expertise
- Benign bone tumor.
- Bone cancer.
- Soft tissue tumor.
- Skin cancer.
- Metastatic bone cancers.
Awards & Recognition
- SS YADAV Gold medal for Best Oncology Paper at IOACON 2014
- Gold medal for best Paper presentation at KOACON 2015
- Gold medal for poster presentation at IMSOS 2015
- Starting exclusive department of Musculo-Skeletal Oncology at Mazumdar Shaw Medical Centre, Narayana Health city, Bangalore
- Highest number of major limb saving pelvic tumors surgeries in last 2 years
- First extra-corporeal irradiated pelvic surgery for North-East India
- First successful Rotationplasty surgery for West Bengal
Professional Memberships& Certifications
- Indian musculo-skeletal oncology society.
- Indian orthopaedic association.
- Karnataka orthopae dic association.
- Bangalore orthopaedic association.
- Treating complex pelvic bone and soft tissue tumors using 3D Reconstruction and Navigation.
- Biological reconstruction using extra-corporeal irradiated bone.
- Non-invasive expandable metallic prosthesis in children.
- Endoprosthesis reconstruction of secondaries / metastatic bone disease.
- CT guided Radiofrequency Ablation for benign bone tumors.
- Artificial metallic bone reconstruction for bone cancer.
- Soft tissue sarcomas with Brachytherapy.
- Benign bone tumors.
- Reconstructing diaphyseal tumors using radiated (50 gy) autogenous tumor bone graft – journal of surgical oncology 2018.
- A study of 853 high-grade osteosarcomas from a single institution-are outcome in Indian patients different? - journal of surgical oncology 2018.
- Topical vancomycin: does it reduce surgical site infection in bone tumors? - South Asian journal of cancer 2017.
- Palliative care in musculoskeletal oncology - Indian journal of palliative care 2016.
- Aggressive surgery in the palliative setting of lung cancer: is it helpful? - Indian journal of palliative care 2016.
- Pseudoaneurysms masquerading as malignant bone tumors - journal of clinical diagnosis and research 2016.
- Reconstruction of the elbow and forearm for Ewing sarcoma of the ulna: a new biological technique - international journal of shoulder surgery 2016.
- Staging investigations in chondrosarcoma: is evaluation for skeletal metastases justified? Analysis from an epidemiological study at a tertiary cancer care center and review of literature - South Asian journal of cancer 2016.
- Clinicopathological features of five unusual cases of intraosseous myoepithelial carcinomas, mimicking conventional primary bone tumors, including ewsr1 rearrangement in one case - apmis 2016.
- Orthoncocon-2014: continuing education in musculoskeletal oncology. Indian journal of cancer 2015.
- Inferior vena caval tumor thrombus in giant cell tumor of the sacrum - an unusual complication treated with multimodality management. Journal of orthopedic case report 2015.
Key Procedures Performed
- The highest number of major limb saving pelvic bone tumor surgeries in the last 2 years.
- First extra-corporeal irradiated pelvic surgery for North-East India.
- Pedicle cryotherapy ( liquid nitrogen) for bone cancer.
- First Rotationplasty surgery for West Bengal.