Dr. Thimappa Hegde is a distinguished neurosurgeon, and is presently working as the Director of Narayana Institute of Neurosciences, Bangalore. He finished his neurosurgery residency from National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore. He continued as a faculty at Department of Neurosurgery, NIMHANS till 2003, where he was instrumental in starting Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery. In 2004 he founded the Narayana Institute of Neurosciences which has now become one of the finest centres for Neurology and Neurosurgery service with an excellent training program. Dr. Thimappa was recognized by the Lions Club, Bengaluru, as an 'Outstanding Citizen' and visited USA & Canada on a special exchange program from the Rotary International. He was invited by the Vatican to speak at an International Meeting at the Vatican City and had a special audience with the POPE His Holiness John Paul II. With his keen interest in spirituality and overall personality development, Dr. Hegde has scaled new heights, despite having a very busy neurosurgical practice.
Key Procedures Performed
- Stereotactic & Functional Neurosurgery
- Skull Base Surgery
- Stereotactic Surgery
Posts Held in the past
- September 1989 – Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, NIMHANS, Bangalore
- September 1994 – Associate Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, NIMHANS, Bangalore
- September 1998 - March 2003 – Additional Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, NIMHANS, Bangalore
Professional Memberships& Certifications
- Life Membership – Neurological Society of India
- Associate Member – Indian Academy of Neurology
- Member – Stereotactic Society of India
- Former President – Neuro–Spinal Society of India
- 1. Vasudev Rao T, Thimmappa Hegde, Sarala Das & Das B S. A Clinicopathological Study of Tuberous Sclerosis Neurol. India 34 : 271-274 (1986).
- 2. Jain VK, Ramakrishna E, Hegde T,Reddy AK, Das BS,Reddy GNN. Subarachnoid Haemorrhage: 25 years' experience at NIMHANS, Bangalore, India. NIMHANS Journal. 1986 Jan; 4(1):
- 3. Jain V.K, Hegde T, Eswaran R.K, Das B.S & Reddy G.N.N Benign Subarachnoid Haemorrhage. (Subarachnoid haemorrhage of unknown aetiology).
- 4. Das B.S, Sastry K.V.R, Hegde A.S & Hegde T. Setting down with aneurysm surgery at NIMHANS. Proceedings of International symposium on 'Vascular Lesions of Brain' Trivandrum. PP. 74 (1989).
- Hegde T. Notable Names in the Development of Neurosurgery Progress in Clinical Neurosciences, 6(2): 1-14 (1990).
English (UK & US), Hindi, Kannada and Tulu