Pravin Thomas is a board certified neurologist and founder of the World Headache Society. He completed doctoral level neurology residency training from Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, India and his thesis on Triphasic Encephalopathy was submitted to the National Board of Examination, New Delhi. He completed a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Neurology from Queen Square Institute of Neurology with a distinction and also the Diploma of the European Board of Neurology.
He was Clinical Fellow in Complex Headache Service at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, UK. He is trained in procedural headache medicine and has also completed a fellowship in pain medicine. He worked as consultant neurologist and lead of headache medicine at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, UK.
He is Senior Associate Editor of Headache Medicine Connections, the official journal of the World Headache Society. He is also Assistant Editor of the Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology. For the last 20 years he has been involved in the education of neurology, internal medicine, psychiatry, pain medicine and physiatry trainees. He is a member of the Association of British Neurologists, World Headache Society and Indian Academy of Neurology.
He is an advisor to the American Academy of Yoga and Meditation. He has received best paper awards from the Neurological Society of India and the Kerala Association of Neurologists. He has been an invited speaker at the British Association for the Study of Headache and the Oxford Headache Symposium and other headache societies.
- MBBS : Academy of Medical Sciences (University of Calicut) India.
- MD (General Medicine) : Father Muller Medical College (Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences) India
- Diplomate of the National Board in Neurology: Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences India
- Clinical Fellowship in Headache: University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust UK
- Fellowship in Pain Management : Aesculap Academy India
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Neurology (Distinction) : Queen Square Institute of Neurology, University College London
- Diploma of the European Board of Neurology : UEMS European Academy of Neurology
Post held in past
- Chairman : World Headache Society
- Director: WHS Academy
- Chief Associate Editor: Headache Medicine Connections
- Honorary Clinical Teaching Fellow in Neurology: University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Consultant Neurologist & Lead of Headache : Basildon & Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Chief of Headache Section : Journal on Recent Advances in Pain
- Headache Clinical Fellow : University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- Senior Consultant Neurologist, Headache & Pain Specialist : Indira Gandhi Hospital
- Assistant Professor : Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre
- Chief Editor (Neurology): Journal on Recent Advances in Pain
- Consultant in Neurology : Believers Church Medical College Hospital
- Consultant in Neurology : St Thomas Hospital
- DNB Trainee & Resident Neurology : Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre
- Senior Resident (Neurology): Pushpagiri Medical College Hospital
- Senior Lecturer , Medicine & Neurology : T D Medical College Hospital
- Residency (MD General Medicine) : Father Muller Medical College
- Lecturer - Neurosurgery : T D Medical Collage Hospital
Fields of Expertise
- Headache Neurology
- Chronic Neck and Facial Pains
Awards & Recognition
- Opthalmoplegic Migraine a clinico-radiological study, Annual meeting of Neurological Society of India (NSI), Kerala Chapter, 2010.
- Multiple Sclerosis in Kerala, India, Mid-term meet of Kerala Association of Neurologist (KAN), 2009.
- Multiple Sclerosis - Reductionism Vs Holism- Striking the right balance, Winner-National Level Competition conducted by Biogen Idec, 2009.
- Neurogenic Dysphagia in acute stroke - a prognostic study, Annual meeting of Neurological Society of India (NSI), Kerala Chapter, 2009.
- Examining Neurologist and Co-Investigator for EDSS: Biogen Idec: Multiple Sclerosis Clinical Trial (2009-2010).
- Evaluating Neurologist and Co-Investigator for Oracle MS Trial (2010).
- Invited Faculty at British Association for the Study of Headache, Oxford Headache Symposium, UK Headache Nurse Group, South Asian Regional Pain Society, World Institute of Pain, International Conference on Recent Advances in Pain, East European Congress on Pain, Pearls in Clinical Neurology, Controversies in Neurology (CONy), American Academy of Yoga and Meditation, Venezuela Society of Neurology, Peru Neurology Society
- Changing Paradigms in Understanding Pain: The Role of Networks, Genomics and Proteomics. Journal on Recent Advances in Pain. Volume 1, Issue 1, May-August 2015
- Pain in Multiple Sclerosis: A South Indian Experience. Journal on Recent Advances in Pain. Volume 1, Issue 1, May-August 2015
- The Diagnostic Dilemma of a Genitofemoral – Ilioinguinal Overlap Syndrome. Journal on Recent Advances in Pain. Volume 1, Issue 1, May-August 2015
- Atypical Presentation of S1 Radiculopathy Like Plantar Fasciitis. Journal on Recent Advances in Pain. Volume 1, Issue 1, May-August
- Persistent Extreme Delta Brush in Anti-NMDA-receptor Encephalitis: Does it Portend a Poor Prognosis. Epilepsy and Behavior Reports Volume 12, 2019.
- Chronic Neurology in COVID-19 Era: Clinical Considerations and Recommendations from the REPROGRAM Consortium, Frontiers in Neurology, 24 June 2020
- Key Strategies for Clinical Management and Improvement of Healthcare Services for Cardiovascular Disease and Diabetes Patients in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Settings, Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine, 16 June 2020
- Telemedicine Across The Globe - Position Paper From The COVID-19 Pandemic Health System Resilience Program, Frontiers in Public Health, section Digital Public Health
- The Dawn of a New Era in Headache Medicine – Headache Medicine Connections, 20 August 2021
- Classification of Head, Neck and Face Pains (WHS-MCH1): Position paper of the WHS Classification Committee
- Systematic review and Meta-Analysis of CGRP monoclonal antibodies in migraine
Key Procedures Performed
- Greater occipital nerve block. Indications- Migraine, Cluster headache, Cervicogenic headache, Greater occipital neuralgia, Tenderness of back of head due to sensitisation in migraine, selected cases of other trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias
- Onabotulinum Toxin A (BOTOX). Indications- Migraine, Trigeminal neuralgia
- CGRP Monoclonal antibody injections. Indications- Migraine, Cluster Headaches
- Ultrasound guided peripheral nerve blocks- Greater occipital, lesser occipital, third occipital, supratrochlear, infratrochlear, mental, auriculotemporal, greater auricular. Indications- Migraines, neuralgias and neuropathic pain in corresponding regions
- Sphenopalatine ganglion block. Indications- Migraine, Trigeminal neuralgia, PDPH Gasserion ganglion block. Indications- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Cervical facet medial branch block. Indications- Cervical facet arthropathy
Device treatments for migraine, cluster headaches
- Supraorbital and supratrochlear stimulation
- Non-invasive vagal stimulation
- Combined/multichannel stimulation
- Remote electrical neuromodulation
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation
- Indications: ‘Detox’ for medication overuse headaches, status migrainosus, status SUNCT, Cluster headaches
CSF Dysregulation Clinic
- Intracranial pressure monitoring and adjustments for IIH, intracranial hypotension. OCT in intracranial pressure monitoring.
- Non-pharmacological therapies Yoga and mindfulness video module, nutrition and nutraceuticals in headache management
Rare/ Unique Skills
- Neurophilosophy, Vedanta
English, Hindi, Malayalam, Kannada, Arabic