Dr. Minal Kekatpure is a senior consultant in pediatric neurology with a rich clinical experience of over a decade. She has a wide clinical experience gathered from some of the best institutions in India and aboard. She has attended and presented in several national and international conferences.
Dr Minal has many publications in prestigious neurological journals and a textbook chapter in an international edition of Handbook of Neurology edited by Dr Oliver Dulac, Dr Maryse Lassonde and Dr Harvey Sarnat. Having a sound research and academic background, she specializes in neurodevelopmental disorders like autism spectrum disorders, learning disabilities, neurogenetic disorders and many more. She also looks into general pediatric neurology cases with epilepsy, neuromuscular disorders, pediatric stroke, demyelinating disorders, neurological infections and autoimmune disorders. In addition to these, she along with a strong pediatric emergency and intensive care team, manages pediatric neurological emergencies.
Fields of Expertise
- Pediatric Demyelinating disorders and neuroimmunology
- Developmental neurology
- Disorders of prenatal onset
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Pediatric Stroke
- MBBS, Government Medical College, Nagpur (1997)
- MD- Pediatrics, Government Medical College, Nagpur (Dec 2002)
- Senior Residency - Pediatric Neurology, Advanced Pediatric Center, PGI, Chandigarh (Dec 2002 - June 2003)
- Fellowship in Pediatric Neurology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi (Nov 2003 - Dec 2005)
- Fellowship in Child Neurology, Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, New York City, USA (June 2006 - Dec 2007)
Awards & Recognition
- Awarded the best outgoing tribal primary health care medical officer (2000)
- Awarded the best teaching faculty oral paper presentation at IAP- Neuropedicon (2005)
Professional Memberships and Certifications
National professional memberships :
- Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP)
- National Childhood Disability group
- Bangalore Neurological Society
- IAP Pediatric Neurology Chapter
- Autism Society of India
- Association of child neurologists in India
- Child neurology group, Karnataka
- IAP Rheumatology and immunology chapter
International professional memberships:
- Global Association of Physicians of Indian Origin
- International Child Neurology Association
- American academy of neurology
- International Pediatric Stroke Organisation
- Neuroimaging of a paediatric ophthalmoplegic migraine. Kekatpure Minal V, Panmand Pratibha, Nalubolu Sivakanth. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2022; 25(1): 131-132.
- Late Onset Subacute Profound Biotinidase Deficiency Caused by a Novel Homozygous Variant c.466-3T>G in the BTD Gene. Mohite K, Nair KV, Sapare A, Bhat V, Shukla A, Kekatpure M, Patil SJ. Indian J Pediatr. 2022 Jan 14:1–3. doi: 10.1007/s12098-021-04000-3.
- Dissertation on ‘A study of cognitive function in iron deficient school aged children (9-12 yrs)’ - Minal Deshmukh, Nagpur University, 2002.
- Recurrent Stupor Due to Lysinuric Protein Intolerance. Moosa NV, Minal D, Ananth Rao, Anand Kumar. J Neurology India; 2005; 53 (3): 333-334.
- Functional Aspects of Cereblon in Mild Autosomal Recessive Non-Syndromic Mental Retardation. J.Higgins, Kosofsky B, Giordano T, Tropea T, Deshmukh M, Rajadhyaksha A .M. J. Neurology 2007; 68 (suppl 1: A399-400).
- Neurological deterioration in Late Infantile Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis. Worgall SW, Kekatpure M V, Heier L, Dyke J, Ballon D, Shunghu D, Mao X, Kosofsky B, Kaplitt M, Souweidane M, Sondhi D, Hackett N, E, Hollerman C,Crystal RG. J.Neurology; 2007; 69 (6), 521-535.
- Treatment of late infantile neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis by CNS administration of a serotype 2 adeno-associated virus expressing CLN2 cDNA.Worgall S, Sondhi D, Hackett NR, Kosofsky B, Kekatpure MV, Neyzi N, Dyke JP, Ballon D, Heier L, Greenwald BM, Christos P, Mazumdar M, Souweidane MM, Kaplitt MG,Crystal RG. Hum Gene Ther. 2008 May; 19(5):463-74
- Neuroimaging of children following prenatal drug exposure. Derauf C, Kekatpure M, Neyzi N, Lester B, Kosofsky B. Seminars in cell and developmental biology; 2009 Jun; 20(4):441-54.
- Subcortical and cortical structural central nervous system changes and attention processing deficits in preschool-aged children with prenatal methamphetamine and tobacco exposure. Derauf C, Lester BM, Neyzi N, Kekatpure M, Gracia L, Davis J, Kallianpur K, Efird JT, Kosofsky B .Dev Neurosci. 2012;34(4):327-41.
- Regional brain morphometry and impulsivity in adolescents following prenatal exposure to cocaine and tobacco. Liu J, Lester BM, Neyzi N, Sheinkopf SJ, Gracia L, Kekatpure M, Kosofsky BE. JAMA Pediatr. 2013 Apr;167(4):348-54.
- Prenatal-onset neurodevelopmental disorders secondary to toxins, nutritional deficiencies, and maternal illness. Graf WD, Kekatpure MV, Kosofsky BE. Handb Clin Neurol 2013. Part I : Chapter 14, 111: 143-159
- Structural brain imaging in children and adolescents following prenatal cocaine exposure: preliminary longitudinal findings. Akyuz N, Kekatpure MV, Liu J, Sheinkopf SJ, Quinn BT, Lala MD, Kennedy D, Makris N, Lester BM, Kosofsky BE. Dev Neurosci. 2014;36(3-4):316-28.
- Progressive cavitating leukoencephalopathy: Case report of a rare childhood onset neurodegenerative disease. Minal V Kekatpure, G A Karthik, Venkatraman Bhat. Indian J Child Health 2014;Vol 1 (Issue 2):61-64.
- Role of ocular ultrasound in idiopathic intra-cranial hypertension. Jyoti Matalia, Sheetal Shirke, Minal Kekatpure.J Neurology India, 2015 ;63(2):292-4.
- An alternate technique for assessing optic nerve in papilledema by ultrasound B scan. Matalia J, Shirke S, Kekatpure M. Am J Emerg Med. 2015 Jul;33(7):971-3.
- Mechanical Thrombectomy Using Solitaire in a 6-Year-Old Child. Dr. Vikram Huded, Dr. Vikram Kamath, Dr. Bhumir Chauhan, Dr Romnesh De Souza, Dr. Rithesh Nair, Dr. Anil Sapare, and Dr. Minal Kekatpure. J Vasc Interv Neurol. 2015 May; 8(2): 13–16.
- TRPM6 mutation: A novel cause of "reversible" infantile epileptic encephalopathy. Kekatpure MV, Gaur S, Dash GK ,Kannan S. Neurol India. 2016 Sep-Oct;64(5):1037-8.
- Macular cherry red spot is an important diagnostic marker in children with myoclonic epilepsies. Minal V. Kekatpure,K.P.Vinayan, SheelaNampoothiri, GopalPillai, AnandKumar . International Journal of Epilepsy Volume 3, Issue 2, July–December 2016 , Pages 95-97.
- Management of idiopathic intracranial hypertension in an infant with bilateral congenital cataract and associated comitant sensory esotropia. Matalia JH, Shirke S, Anaspure H, Ghalla P, Kekatpure M. Indian J Ophthalmology 2017 Oct;65(10):1053-1
- Mechanical Thrombectomy Using Retrievable Stents in Pediatric Acute Ischemic Stroke. Amit Bhatti Vikram Huded, Devashish Vyas, Mudasir Mushtaq, Minal Kekatpure et al. Indian Pediatr 2019; 56: 571-575 .
- Novel MRI Finding of Bilateral Globus Pallidal Involvement in Accelerated Phase of Chédiak -Higashi Syndrome. M Kekatpure, V Bhat. Ann Indian Acad. Neurol.2020 Jan-Feb; 23(1): 126-129.
- Knobloch Syndrome in Siblings with Posterior Fossa Malformations Along with Cerebellar Midline Cleft Abnormality Caused by Biallelic COL18A1 Mutation: Case-Based Review. S J. Patil,S Pande,J Matalia, V Bhat, M Kekatpure and K M Girish. J Pediatr Genet Dec 2020 DOI: 10.1055/s-0040-1721073
- Medlink Neurology: Idiopathic photosensitive occipital lobe epilepsy. Dr KP Vinayan and Dr Minal Kekatpure. Edited by Dr Solomon L Moshe. https://www.medlink.com/articles/idiopathic-photosensitive-occipital-lobe-epilepsy, 2021.
Posts Held in the past
- Chief Medical officer in- charge, Tribal primary health center Bembal, District, Chandrapur, Maharashtra. India. (January 1999- February 2000)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatric Neurology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi, India (2004 - 2005). On sabbatical till Nov 2007.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Child Neurology, Weill Medical College, Cornell University, New York, USA (Dec 2007- Nov 2009)
- Pediatric Neurologist, Mazumdar Shaw Medical Center, Narayana Health City, Bangalore (2010 onwards)