Dr Durga Prasan received his MBBS degree from Madras Medical College(TN MGR Medical University), MD in Medicine from Aligarh Muslim University, and DNB in Medical Oncology awarded by National Board of Examinations, Govt of India. He has been a consultant in Medical Oncology for last 15 years, and has contributed to the establishment of several medical oncology units in India and abroad. He has keen research interest in ovarian cancer and is currently pursuing a PhD in molecular biology in addition to his clinical duties.
Post held in past
- Senior consultant and Head, department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, American Oncology Institute, Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut, Kerala [2017-2021]
- Consultant Medical Oncologist, Bahrain Specialist Hospital, Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain. [2013-2017]
- Consultant Medical Oncologist, Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut, Kerala [2010-2013]
- Consultant Medical Oncologist and Assistant Prof of Medicine, Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore [2007-2010]
- Consultant Medical Oncologist, Westfort Hitech Hospital, Thrissur, Kerala [2006-2007]
- Assistant Professor of Medical Oncology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi, Kerala [2005-2006]
Fields of Expertise
- Management of adult patients with solid tumors
Awards & Recognition
- DBT Award and Scholarship winner for being top ten in biology in India (1993-94)
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Indian Cooperative Oncology Network
- European Society of Medical Oncology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Indian Society of Medical and Pediatric Oncology
- Manappallil RG, Prasan D, Peringat J, Biju IK. Severe bone marrow suppression due to methotrexate toxicity following aceclofenac-induced acute kidney injury. BMJ Case Rep. 2018 Jun 5;2018:bcr2018224722. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2018-224722. PMID: 29871962; PMCID: PMC5990089.
- Swamy, Shubhatara et al. Palonosetron for the prevention of chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting: a comparative study in a tertiary care hospital from India. International Journal of Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, [S.l.], v. 8, n. 10, p. 2197-2201, sep. 2019. ISSN 2279-0780.
- Prasan, Durga. Geriatric Oncology. BMH Medical Journal - ISSN 2348–392X, [S.l.], v. 7, n. Suppl, p. S31-S34, mar. 2020. ISSN 2348-392X.
- George, Robin et al. Ileal carcinoid with hepatic and peritoneal metastasis presenting as Carcinoid syndrome. BMH Medical Journal - ISSN 2348–392X, [S.l.], v. 6, n. 4, p. 135-139, aug. 2019. ISSN 2348-392X
- Manappallil RG, Prasan D, Mampilly N, Krishnan APAcute Myelomonocytic Leukemia Presenting as Polyarthritis in Elderly.JCR 2019;9:120-122
- Prasan, Durga. Neoadjuvant Treatment In Locally Advanced Rectal Cancer: Evolving Treatment Paradigms. BMH Medical Journal - ISSN 2348–392X, [S.l.], v. 6, n. 2, p. 65-70, mar. 2019. ISSN 2348-392X.
- Invited speaker to 9th Muscat International Oncology Conference 2017: Renal cell cancers: Impacting survival beyond first line
- Invited speaker to 8th Muscat International Oncology Conference 2016: 1)Targeted therapy in advanced gastric cancers. 2) Extra nodal lymphomas.
- Organizing secretary for annual BSH Oncology Update, Manama , Bahrain for the years 2015 and 2016
Key Procedures Performed
- Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy
- Intrathecal chemotherapy
- Subclavian central line insertion
- Pleural and ascetic fluid drainage
- Chemoport access and care.
English, Hindi, Tamil, Malayalam.