Dr. Akhila L had completed her MBBS from SDUMC, Kolar. She also completed her MD from Maulana Azad Medical college, New Delhi, and DNB from DNB board. She had completed her Post Doctoral Fellowship in Neuropathology from NIMHANS. Currently she is working in Narayana Health, Bangalore as the department HOD and Consultant.
- PDF (Neuropathology from NIMHANS)
Fields of Expertise
- Oncological: All organ systems including Neuro-oncology, in conjunction with interpretation of relavent immunohistochemistry.
- Non oncological pathology: All organ systems.
- Cytopathology: Interpretation of FNAC, body fluids and Pap smears.
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Post Doctoral fellowship in Neuropathology from NIMHANS
- Ganesh, Raksha & Raghavan, Jayashree & Sonpatki, Pranali & Naik, Divya & Arunachalam, Priyanka & Shah, Darshat & Lakshmikantha, Akhila & Pillai, Shibu & Chandrachari, Komal & Mariswamappa, Kiran & Sathyanarayana, L. & Shah, Nameeta & Jhunjhunwala, Siddharth. (2020). Immuno-Phenotyping of High-Grade Glioma Infiltrating Immune Cells Reveals Grade Specific Differences in Cells of Myeloid Origin. 10.1101/2020.09.26.314542.
- Rajeswarie, R.T., Lakshmikantha, A., Kannan, S. et al. Phosphaturic Mesenchymal Tumor Masquerading as Mesenchymal Tumors with Diverse Differential Diagnosis: Series of 4 Cases with Emphasis on Histomorphological Spectrum. Indian J Surg Oncol (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13193-021-01321-9.
- Sci Rep. 2016 Jun 1;6:26882. doi: 10.1038/srep26882. Microsomal membrane proteome of low grade diffuse astrocytomas:Differentially expressed proteins and candidate surveillance biomarkers. Polisetty RV1, Gautam P1, Gupta MK1,2,3, Sharma R2, Gowda H2, Renu D4, Shivakumar BM5, Lakshmikantha A6, Mariswamappa K6, Ankathi P7, Purohit AK7, Uppin MS7, Sundaram C7, Sirdeshmukh R1,2,5.
- Kannan S, Kulkarni P, Lakshmikantha A, Gadabanahalli K. Extramedullary Haematopoiesis Presenting as an Adrenal Mass. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research : JCDR. 2017;11(3):TJ01. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2017/25086.9448.
- Kyrle’s disease: a cutaneous manifestation of diabetes mellitus Vinitha Lokesh,, Akhila Lakshmikantha, Subramanian Kannan BMJ Case Reports 2017:published online 1 November 2017, doi:10.1136/bcr-2017-220023
- Jain D, Akhila L, Kawatra V, Aggarwal P, Khurana N. Psammocarcinoma of ovary with serous cystadenofibroma of contralateral ovary: a case report.J Med Case Reports. 2009 Dec 15;3:9330.
- Lakshmikantha, A., Kawatra, V., Varma, D. and Khurana, N. (2010), Primary Breast Chondrosarcoma. The Breast Journal, 16: 553–554.
- Gangrene intestine caused by Ascaris lumbricoides; Report of 5 cases in children. Kawatra V, Arora P, Lakshmikantha A, Varma D, Khurana N. Pathol Res Pract. 2009 Nov 26.
- Partial hydatiform mole with full term infant. Kajal Kiran Dhingra, Parul Gupta, Vijay Saroha, L Akhila, Nita Khurana. Indian journal of pathology & microbiology 52(4):590-1;2009.
- A rare coexistence of concurrent breast hemangioma with fibroadenoma: a case report. Vibha Kawatra, Akhila Lakshmikantha, Kajal Kiran Dhingra, Parul Gupta and Nita Khurana. Cases Journal 2009, 2:7005.
- Primary Plasma cell leukemia in 30 yr old woman. Jain D, Singh T, Akhila L and Ghosh N. Indian journal of pathology & microbiology 51(3):456-7;2008.
Key Procedures Performed
- Initialization and standardization newer molecular markers in Neurooncopathology.
Rare/ Unique Skills
- Reporting Neuro-oncopathology specimens in an integrated fashion with relevant molecular information.
- Dermatopathology and Lymph node pathology.
English, Kannada, Hindi