Dr. Shivakumar Varakanahalli is a Consultant Gastroenterologist at Narayana Multispeciality hospital, HSR layout, Bangalore. He has a wide range of experience and expertise in all spectrums of gastroenterology and hepatic diseases. His forte is diagnostic and therapeutic upper GI and Lower GI endoscopy, ERCP, EUS, Manometry, Capsule endoscopy and hepatology. He was trained at the prestigious G B PANT Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, New Delhi. He did his MBBS from Mysore Medical College and MD (Internal Medicine) from Rajasthan University of health Sciences.
He has an active interest in research and has many publications in reputed national and international journals to his credit. He has presented his clinical and research work as papers and posters in many conferences around the country and abroad. His work and presentations have been appreciated, recognized and awarded at various forums.
Key Procedures Performed
Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy/ Colonoscopy (Biopsies, foreign body removal, stricture dilatation, stenting, polypectomy, EMR, Endoscopic variceal ligation, Sclerotherapy, hemoclip application, electrocoagulation like APC, Hemospray, Glue injection for gastric varices)
ERCP for CBD stones, strictures, tumors, stenting, biopsies, cytology, pancreatic disorders
Fields of Expertise
- Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic procedures which includes Upper GI endoscopy, colonoscopy, enteroscopy, ERCP.
- Clinical hepatology (Viral hepatitis, liver cancer, alcoholic liver disease, fatty liver, cirrhosis and others)
- Pancreatic disorders (Acute and chronic pancreatitis, pancreatic tumors)
- Functional bowel disordes (IBS, Dyspepsia, reflux disease, gastritis)
- Chronic constipation, defecatory disorders, Chronic diarrhea
- Inflammatory bowel disorders (Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis)
- Gastrointestinal emergencies including GI bleeds
Professional Memberships& Certifications
- Member of European society for the study of Liver 2018
Awards & Achievements
- First position for North Zone in TYSA 2013 at New Delhi in Internal Medicine
- Second Rank holder in common entrance examination for DM Gastroenterology (Delhi University) held in 2014
- Grant by Liver Care Foundation at New Delhi for APASL 2016 in Tokyo
- Plenary oral session award at INASL 2017 for oral presentation on paper on prophylaxis of hepatic encephalopathy
- Oral paper presented at the International Liver Congress 2018 at Paris with Young Investigator award on research paper on secondary prophylaxis of HE, a RCT of LOLA vs placebo
- Poster presentation at APASL 2016 on Gastric varices in cirrhosis vs EHPVO
- Poster presentation at ISGCON 2016 on Ulcerative colitis in adolescents
- Poster presentations at ENDOCON 2017 on Obscure CBD dilatation and risk stratification in portal hypertensive bleed with AIM 65 scoring system
- Gastric Varices in Cirrhosis vs. Extrahepatic Portal Venous Obstruction and Response to Endoscopic N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate Injection. Barjesh C Sharma, Shivakumar Varakanahalli, Jatinder Pal Singh, Siddharth Journal OF Clinical and Exp. Hepatology. [22 Feb 2017, 7(2):97-101]
- Spontaneous Pseudocystocolonic Fistula: An Unusual Complication of Acute Pancreatitis. Dahale AS, Varakanahalli S, Jha L, Sud S, Kumar A, Sachdeva S, Puri AS. Am J Gastroenterol. 2016 Aug;111(8):1088
- Over-the-scope-clip system for management of upper gastrointestinal defects: A pilot study Amol S Dahale, Siddharth Srivastav, Pritul D Saxena, B C Sharma, Shivakumar Varakanahalli. Indian J Gastroenterol (November 2015) 34 (Suppl 1):A1–A104
- Brunner’s Gland Hamartoma - A Rare Cause of Upper GI Bleed: Report of Two Cases Emphasising Pathogenesis. Rakesh Kumar Gupta , Ravindra Kumar Saran, Shivakumar Varakanahalli and Amarender Singh Puri. Annals of Pathology and Lab Medicine. 2016. Oct –Dec.
- Prevalence of microalbuminuria in patients with non-diabetic acute ischemic stroke Muralidhara N, Ravindra Rajanna, Shivakumar Varakanahalli, Vijay Kumar Goyal. Int J Res Med Sci. 2015; 3(4): 954-957
- P-HPB-13: Spectrum of obscure common bile duct dilatation: Role of endoscopic ultrasonography. Amol Dahale, Siddharth Srivastava, Sanjeev Sachdeva, Shivakumar Varakanahalli, and Ajay Kumar. Endosc Ultrasound. 2017 Aug; 6(Suppl 1): S21.
- Usefulness of Aim 65 Scoring System in Predicting Rebleed and Prognosis Portal Hypertensive Bleed Patients With Underlying Cirrhosis. Amol S.Dahale, AjayKumar, SiddharthaSrivastava, ShivakumarVarakanahalli, SanjeevSachdeva, Amarender S.Puri;
Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology; Vol 7, Supplement 2, July 2017, Pages S65-S6
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided cytodiagnosis of adrenal histoplasmosis with reversible cd4 t-lymphocytopenia and jejunal lymphangiectasia Rakesh K Gupta1, Kaushik Majumdar1, Siddharth Srivastava2, Shivakumar Varakanahalli2, Ravindra K Saran Journal of Cytology; Volume : 35 | Issue : 2 | 2018 Page : 110-11
- Esophageal tuberculosis: Uncommon of common. Amol S Dahale, Ajay Kumar, Siddharth Srivastava, Shivakumar Varakanahalli, Sanjeev Sachdeva and Amarender S Puri JGH Open: An open access journal of gastroenterology and hepatology (2018) 34–38
- Secondary prophylaxis of hepatic encephalopathy in cirrhosis of liver: A double blind randomized controlled study of L-ornithine L-aspartate versus placebo. Shivakumar Varakanahalli, Barjesh C Sharma, Siddharth Srivastava, Sanjeev Sachdeva and Amol S Dahale European journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
Posts Held in the past
- Senior Resident (General Medicine) at RNT Medical College, Udaipur from Sept 2013-April 2014
- Post DM (Non Academic) SR at GB Pant Hospital from August 2017 to July 2018
- Associate Consultant Gastroenterology at Apollo hospitals, BG Road, Bangalore from August 2018- Nov 2019
English, Hindi, Kannada