Dr. Maria John Kuriakose had completed her undergraduate training from GDC Trivandrum. She worked as an MRC Fellow in University of Bristol (UK) post obtaining her Ph.D in Physiology from the same University. Following that she worked as Research Assistant Professor in Department of Oral Diagnostics, University of Buffalo (USA) and Adjunct Assistant Professor in, Department of Basic Sciences in New York University(USA). She obtained her postgraduate training in Orthodontics from NYU school of Dentistry. She has worked in Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences as a consultant in the Cranio Maxillo facial department since 2004 and is also Professor in the Department of Orthodontics in Amrita Dental College.
- BDS- Trivandrum Dental College (Kerala)
- MDS- New York University (USA)
- Ph.D- University of Bristol (UK)
Post held in past
- MRC Fellow, University of Bristol (UK)
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Oral Diagnostics, University of Buffalo (USA)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Basic Sciences, New York University (USA)
- Consultant: Cranio Maxillo facial department, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences (Kerala)
- Professor, Department of Orthodontics, Amrita Dental College. (Kerala)
Fields of Experience
- Correction of dental and skeletal malocclusionin children
- Orthodontic treatment in cleft and craniofacial deformities.
- Orthodontic preparation for surgical treatment of skeletal deformities in adult patients.
Awards & Recognition
- New York University College of dentistry,-Dean’s Student research award.
- Brain Research Travel Award to attend Society of Neuroscience meeting, Miami,
- Welcome trust Travel Award to attend Society of Neuroscience meeting, (Los Angeles)
- Medical Research Council Grant, Department of Physiology, University of Bristol, (U.K)
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Member of Indian Orthodontic Society
- Banks D., Kuriakose M., Matthews B. Modulation by peripheral conditioning stimuli of the responses of trigeminal brain-stem neurones and of the jaw reflex to tooth-pulp stimulation in chronically prepared, anaesthetized cats. Exp. Physiol. 77: 343-349; 1992.
- Banks D., Kuriakose M., Matthews B. A technique for recording the activity of brain-stem neurones in awake, unrestrained cats using microwires and implantable micromanipulator. J. Neurosci. Meth. 46: 83-88; 1993.
- Kuriakose M. Properties of trigeminal brain-stem neurones and their modulation by peripheral conditioning stimuli in cats. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Bristol 1994.
- Peixoto P M. RyuSY, Pruzansky DP, Kuriakose M, Gilmore A, Kinnally KW.. Mitochondrial apoptosis is amplified through gap junctions. Biochem Biopphysics res Commun.2009 Dec(1): 38-43.
- Jaeson M. Painatt, Ravi Veeraraghavan, Ushass Puthalath, Sherry Peter,1 Latha P. Rao,1 and Maria Kuriakose Profile changes and Stability following Distraction Ostoegenesis with Rigid External Distraction in Adult Cleft lip and Palate Deformities. Contemp Clin Dent. 2017 Apr-Jun; 8(2): 236–243.
- Meguja k Johnson, Maria john Kuriakose, N.K. Sapna Varma,V.V. Ajith, Pramod Subash. Cephalometric evaluation of Skeletal baserelationship in patients with cleft lip and palate in a tertiary hospital in South India. Journal of Cleft Lip Palate and Craniofacial Anomalies, Year 2020, Volume 7, Issue 2 [p. 89-98]
- Ramya Krishna M, Maria Kuriakose, Parvathy Gosh, Sapna Varma NK. Changes in soft tissue profile of Cl II div I malocclusion treated with and without extraction. A systematic review and meta analysis. European journal of Molecular and Clinical Medicine.2021 Volume 8,Issue 03 ( 3037-3047)
Key Procedures Performed
- Orthodontic correction of dentoskeletal malocclusion.
Rare/ Unique Skills
- Extensive experience in treating cleft and craniofacial patients.
- Orthodontic treatment for surgical correction of skeletal malocclusions.
- Orthodontics surgery (Cleft and craniofacial)
- Distraction Osteogenesis
- Secondary alveolar bone grafting
English, Malayalam, Hindi