Dr Ravi Shankar Shetty has over 21 years of experience in healthcare with special expertise in the diagnosis and management of wide range of medical problems related to Cardiac, Thoracic, and Vascular Surgery. His special areas of interest in Cardiac surgery are minimally invasive cardiac surgery, aortic surgeries, valve repairs, congenital heart disease corrections, and off-pump and redo CABGs, ECLS (Extracorporeal Life Support), Cardiac and Renal transplant.
After completing his Super-specialty training in Cardiothoracic Surgery from Jayadeva Institute of Cardiac Sciences in April 2004, Dr. Ravi Shankar Shetty. K started working in Narayana Hrudayalaya for about 4 years as Junior Consultant and Consultant in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery. After which he moved to Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Sciences, Bangalore as a Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, where he worked for two years. Now, he is working with MS Ramaiah Narayana Heart Center as Senior Consultant and Chief Cardiothoracic Surgeon.
Key Procedures Performed
- Heart Transplant
- Renal Transplant
- VAD- BIVAD , LVAD
- Congenital cardiac surgery (Pediatric)
- Valve Surgery- Repair/ Replacement
- Aortic Surgery - Aneurysm Surgery
Fields of Expertise
- Heart Transplant
- Congenital cardiac surgery
- Valve Surgery
- Aortic Surgery
- CABG- OFF pump
Awards & Recognition
- Performed the highest number of cardiac transplants in the state of Karnataka.
- Performed the first pediatric cardiac transplant in Karnataka.
- Proficient in cardiac surgery in both adult and children, thoracic surgery, and minimally invasive heart surgery. Performed over 5000 cardiac surgeries so far.
- One of the few Cardiac Surgeons in Karnataka who performs most cardiac surgeries through minimally invasive approach
- Felicitated by Chief Minister of Kerala in 2016 in recognition of the contribution in Thoracic Organ Transplant in India
- Recipient of the chairman’s award in 2017 conferred by Padmabhushan Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty.
- Recipient of certification of appreciation for Exemplary Services towards Heart Transplant Program - By Vice chairman and CEO of Narayana Health
- Twice Senate Member Rajiv Gandhi university of health science ( RGUHS ).
- Twice Syndicate Member Rajiv Gandhi university of health science ( RGUHS ).
- On nomination from the Honorable Governor of Karnataka, served as a Member in the Senate of the Health University of Karnataka (Two terms), which is responsible for setting and regulating standards of health-care education in the state.
- Member of the syndicate of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS)
- Nominated to the Syndicate of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS) and have been part of various committees. Had taken up the responsibility of rejuvenating HELINET, the e-library of RGUHS as the Chairman of the review committee. Today, HELINET has become one of the most comprehensive e-library in the country.
Professional Memberships& Certifications
- Member, Indian Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons.
- Member, Indian Medical Association, India.
- Member, Karnataka Medical Council, India
- Presented more than thirty papers at various conferences in India and abroad
- First Prize in paper presentation Surgical Society of Bangalore– Surgical management of thyroid malignancy June 1998.
- Nagamalesh U.M, Ravi Shankar Shetty, Ravi Narayan, Anil Kumar,Ravi Naik, Sadath Uzma, Karthik Naidu K.C. Isolated supravalvular aortic stenosis with left ventricular diverticulum and cleft mitral valve: Surgical repair in adulthood, J Saudi Heart Assoc 2017 Oct; 29(4): 300–304
- Ramaiah AH, Das JK, Shetty K R. Ectatic coronary arteries in a patient with Noonan syndrome on Transoesophageal echocardiography. Ann Card Anaesth 2014; 17:139-40
- Ravi Shankar Shetty, Jameel Khan Thareen, Anil Kumar Hpalya Ramaiah, Ravi Narayan. Anomalous Origin of Single Coronary Artery From Pulmonary Artery: Serendipitous Diagnosis and Successful Surgical Treatment. World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery 2015, Vol. 6(1) 108-110
This is the 5th Successful case to be operated in the world.
- Giant Abdominal aortic aneurysm of uncommon etiology due to Behcet disease
- Ravi Shankar Shetty, Shilpa Rudradevaru. “Herniation of the heart - After minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, A Rare Complication” - Sent for publication to Asian Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Extended usage of IABP – Indications and outcomes – IACTS
- Facile Minimally Invasive Radial Artery Harvesting with a regular OT equipment (A Laryngoscope) – IACTS
- Homologous transfusion less routine cardiac surgery – is it possible? -IACTS
- Comparison of posteriobasal LV functions between posterior leaflet preservation and complete subvalvar preservation during MVR Indian Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons Conference.
- “LA function after electrocautery maze in MVR in Rheumatic Heart Disease” – IACTS
- LVOT obstruction due to subaortic membrane and mitral accessory tissue – a case report” –IACTS
Posts Held in the past
- Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Shree Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences, Bengaluru, India.
English, Kannada, Hindi , Tulu.